Myford ML7 spindle nose dimensions

Advert

Myford ML7 spindle nose dimensions

Home Forums Manual machine tools Myford ML7 spindle nose dimensions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ian Lee 4
    Participant
      @ianlee4
      Advert
      Ian Lee 4
      Participant
        @ianlee4
        Can ayone tell me what the dimensions are for the spindle nose on an ML7 , I want to make an adapter for one of my ER32 collet chucks which was made fit on a Myford.

I am making the adapter to fit the chuck on a spare Cam lock backplate on my Chester Conquest lathe.

I need the thread pitch and diameter and the diameter and recommended lenght of the location shoulder.

mgj
        Participant
          @mgj
          The register diameter you can measure, and the depth will be measurable too, less an allowance for the threading runout groove. You will need to turn to 1.250  +.00002/ +.00005 if you want it to really run true. (Keep it well oiled with 3:1)  As long as it clears the actual depth of the register is not critical.

The ones I have cut for mounting stuff on a VDH, and putting a boring head into the Dore Westbury have had registers about 1/2″ long. The one supplied on the BS0 dividing head, which is perfectly secure is not much more than 3/8″ long. 

The thread is 1 1/8  x 12  55deg Whit form, but you wil need to ensure the crests are truncated a fraction, to be sure it doesn’t hang and the register and back flange are doing the aligning..
          mgj
          Participant
            @mgj

Can you correct the dimensions – I’ve put the decimal point in the wrong place. +2 tenths of a thou to + 5 tenths. Apologies

Edited By meyrick griffith-jones on 30/09/2009 00:18:52

David Haythornthwaite
            Participant
              @davidhaythornthwaite90386
              If it helps, I made a collet adapter as you are making and I kept the measurements that I used for this. I will email you and attach a Jpeg of the details.
              If you can get hold of MEW Feb 99, Giles Parkes details the dimensions of an adapter, but if you use this BEWARE – the boss needs boring out to 1.018″ for screwcutting NOT 1.108″ as printed in the article.
              mgj
              Participant
                @mgj
                Damn -put it down to a streaming cold and late at night. the thread is 1.250 x12 whit and not 1.125×12. Should have known because I only did one only the other day.

Got myself totally crossed up there.Pity there isn’t a delete post facility.

Buy a Model Engineers Handbook (3rd edition)by Tubal Cain. The dimensions are in there as is all the threading data.

Edited By meyrick griffith-jones on 30/09/2009 12:09:18

John Stevenson 1
                Participant
                  @johnstevenson1
                  Posted by meyrick griffith-jones on 30/09/2009 12:07:36:

Damn -put it down to a streaming cold and late at night. the thread is 1.250 x12 whit and not 1.125×12. Should have known because I only did one only the other day.

Sorry ??
                  Myford thread is 1 – 1/8″ x 12 Whit form, Register is 1 – 1/4″

John S.
                  Ian Lee 4
                  Participant
                    @ianlee4
                    Many thabks to all for the info I’m hoping to start on the adapter tonight providing grandad duties don’t  get in the way
                    mgj
                    Participant
                      @mgj
                      Still got the streaming cold

I really got myself into a tiswas over this one.

Anyway mine did fit fine first time, so perhaps the doing is easier than the writing. Apologies.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)