7 1/4 garratt

7 1/4 garratt

Home › Forums › General Questions › 7 1/4 garratt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22506
    craig fowler
    Participant
      @craigfowler33724

      need help.wiv a project

      #113851
      craig fowler
      Participant
        @craigfowler33724

        I am just starting to build a narrow gauge 7 1/4 inch garratt.
        Was wondering what people would recommend thickness wise for the fame steel???
        Any help appreciated!

        #113866
        MICHAEL WILLIAMS
        Participant
          @michaelwilliams41215

          Many engines of this type had girder main frames . Only the engine units had plate frames .

          Plate frames on all engines large and small were usually in the range 7/8 inch to 1-1/4 inch thick . There were of course some exceptions but not many engines had very thick plate frames .

          Tell me which engine you have in mind and I may be able to find specific information .

          This is a good site :

          http://www.beyerpeacock.co.uk/main/Beyer%20Peacock%20Garratt%20Locomotives.html

          Regards ,

          Michael Williams .

          Edited By MICHAEL WILLIAMS on 06/03/2013 10:09:51

          #113889
          Springbok
          Participant
            @springbok

            Have to say you are a brave and I hope a very strong and fit person to take this on this built. I built a 7.25g Hunslet when I was in my 50s and even then sons, grandsons et all; found it a bit of a beast to move around. have never built a garrett but what do your drawings specify. have a word with some of the laser cutting companies I am sure that they will help you.

            Bob

            #114058
            Kerrin Galvin
            Participant
              @kerringalvin72662

              Hi Craig,

              Which Garratt are you looking at building? When you go 7 1/4 a narrow gauge Garratt runs LOTS of kilos! I had contact with a guy who built one many years ago it would of been pushing or over 1000 kgs when ready to roll.

              Cheers Kerrin

              #114743
              craig fowler
              Participant
                @craigfowler33724

                Ive designed the whole engine myself. So there are no drawings to hand! Only the ones ive drawn on some old wallpaper….
                Its sort of a darjeeling type engine but sits lower to the ground and has inside valve gear.
                Paper shows its going to be about 9 foot long so its not huge. Still quite an animal though.

                Im 19 so theres plenty of time

                #114750
                craig fowler
                Participant
                  @craigfowler33724

                  So 10mm would be ok???

                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                Latest Replies

                Home › Forums › General Questions › Topics

                Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                View full reply list.