Stanley…

Advert

Stanley…

Home Forums The Tea Room Stanley…

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Farr
    Participant
      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Neil, no problem using my photos. I’ve got two No. 4’s and one No. 3 Swan Morton’s and a No. 2 Paragon one, of the same design, plus a selection of the Swan Morton blades, however, I’ve put my  No. 3 S/M one somewhere safe with a blade still attached, and cannot remember where.

Regards Nick.

Advert
      Les Jones 1
      Participant
        @lesjones1

Thanks agin for the link. Thy look like they should fit so I have ordered 2 packs of 3 (6 total) this came to £7.00 including postage.
        I will let you hnow if they fit when they arrive.

Les.

Robert Atkinson 2
        Participant
          @robertatkinson2

My “goto” knife is a Leatherman multitool. A Charge to be specific. However as I carry it pretty much all the time on my belt I’ve removed the blade locking tabs for the two knife blades. Makes it more likely to fold on you during use so have to take more care but means that if stopped I don’t have to provide justification for carrying it. If you carry a locking or fixed blade knife in public you have to have a good reason for doing so if stopped. A folding blade under 4″ does not need justification. It’s still illegal to take it out in public withut good reason though.

Robert.

peak4
          Participant
            @peak4
            On Robert Atkinson 2 Said:

My “goto” knife is a Leatherman multitool. A Charge to be specific. However as I carry it pretty much all the time on my belt I’ve removed the blade locking tabs for the two knife blades. Makes it more likely to fold on you during use so have to take more care but means that if stopped I don’t have to provide justification for carrying it. If you carry a locking or fixed blade knife in public you have to have a good reason for doing so if stopped. A folding blade under 4″ does not need justification. It’s still illegal to take it out in public withut good reason though.

Robert.

A typo I suspect but I believe it’s 3″  not 4″ for the sharpened length of the non-locking blade.
            Note that the locked boot of your car is classed as a public place for the purposes of UK legislation ( not sure about Scotland)
            This is a useful link from Wiki, which does provide references for UK laws; I’m providing this one, rather than a direct .gov link so folk are aware of the rules elsewhere before they go on holiday.

As far as I’m aware, there hasn’t been a test case yet, but some multi tools have the knife blades on the inside of the plier handles when the tool is fully folded, so it can’t accidentally open when in your pocket.
            I think the Charge is OK in that respect, whereas the very first Leatherman wasn’t.
            As such the blade, when deployed, can’t be closed in a single action, as the other side of the plier handle gets in the way, even though the blade itself is non-locking. The Leatherman Juice range used to be Ok for all models, but the pliers are a bit flimsy; I’ve not checked out the latest models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#United_Kingdom

Bill

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133

Just as a typically irrelevant aside … I was in Rhyl this morning, and walked past a shop window which was blatantly advertising

25% OFF ALL WEAPONS

MichaelG.

Robert Atkinson 2
              Participant
                @robertatkinson2

Well spotted Bill, yes I mabe a typo. The limit is indeed 3″. Some more offical guideance is here:
                https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
                The Leatherman tools styled like the charge are particuarly problematic to carry as if you are right handed (I’m not) you can open and lock the blade with one hand and without opening the handle.

The current weapons laws in the UK are a mess. A toy “pea-shooter” is illegal to own, even in your own home because it meets the definition of  blowpipe. You can own a real vintage “cap and ball” revolver but can’t own a realistic plastic model of one (unless you are a member of a re-enactment group or similar). You can’t carry the real revolver and if you want to fire it you need a firearms certificate.

Les Jones 1
                Participant
                  @lesjones1

Hi Bill, the blades in your link in post #726534 arrrived today (21/04/24) at about 12:50. That was very quick service as I only ordered then at 20:39 on the 19th. They do fit the Stanley craft knife.
                  They are marked SM so I assume that they are Swan Morton so they should be good quality.
                  Thanks again Bill for your help in obtaining these blades.

Les.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)