Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Advert

Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Home Forums Website Announcements Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    ChrisH
    Participant
      @chrish

So, Plasma is leaving because he was upset by thinking the moderator was insulting in the way he replied.

Looking at what the moderator actually wrote, I thought he was spot on and not insulting at all.

People sometimes need to think before they act!

Advert
      Lee Rogers
      Participant
        @leerogers95060

I'm up for a good healthy politics, sex ,religeon barney as much as the next man but I don't come here for it. Good call by the mods.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133
          Posted by Bandersnatch on 02/10/2020 15:57:47:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2020 13:37:02:

It’s a web forum, with rules dictated by the hosts.

…. and their advertisers.

”influenced by their advertisers” … perhaps

But the rules are dictated by the hosts.

Terms and Conditions : **LINK**

Code of Conduct : **LINK**

MichaelG.

Paul Kemp
          Participant
            @paulkemp46892

Maybe the prescence of a "tea room" infers that discussions would follow those as experienced in most workplace tea rooms. Taking the lead from Neils's post and reference to the purpose of the forum, why not remove the tea room and confine discussion completely to directly related subjects? Problem solved. If there is an area for general discussion why censor!

Seems to me there have been several members express intent to cease using this forum recently, threads where they have expressed their reasons have recieved some far more inflammatory comment. The mockery shown for the individual expressing that opinion in this thread certainly did not adhere to the advice in the opening post!

Paul.

JasonB
              @jasonb

Maybe Neil's original intension for the Tea Room has become a bit too loose

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt

Thanks Jason, a good point.

To remind folks:

'The Tea Room' will be a place for loosely engineering related chat. The popular 'what did you do today' thread will go here and is a guide to what sort of discussion is appropriate. The 'aircraft general discussion' thread will also go here.

I will stress that forum rules still apply to ALL topics and that threads should still have a relation to our common interest in engineering. For example 'Scrapheap Challenge' might be a subject for discussion in the tea room, but I doubt that 'X Factor' belongs there.

We have seen some mission creep, but I think most things are working OK.

If those who put the most into and get the most out of the forum set the tone and lead by example, most problems will sort themselves, and on the whole that is what happens.

Neil

Paul Kemp
                Participant
                  @paulkemp46892

The heading is thus;

The Tea Room
                  This is the place for discussion of any issues that aren't in the forum mainstream. Misplaced threads will be moved here.

This is what most members that were not paying attention in 2015 will see. Infers discussion of any issues.

Lets get this locked down proper and for consistency clamp down on bee keeping, bird watching, mental health, corona virus etc etc all together! Let's stamp out all this frivolous stuff and concentrate on the models!

Paul.

pgk pgk
                  Participant
                    @pgkpgk17461

..perhaps the name should be changed to 'the beverage room' as a less partisan heading?

Any forum requires rules of scope and moderation to avoid topic drift. Members are either happy with that or should look elsewhere. I've transgressed and accepted a wrist slapping in the past – fair enough that i breached the parameters Mr Speaker constrains. If not prepared to accept those limitations in exchange for the benefits then the forum is not for you.

Speakers Corner used to be a place where freedom of speech could be excercised but I note that even there the Police can decide now on the lawfulness of the topic.

pgk

Anthony Knights
                    Participant
                      @anthonyknights16741

Lighten up guys. Life's too short.

teddies.jpg

Brian H
                      Participant
                        @brianh50089

Why don't we just leave things as they are and let the moderators continue to do their excellent job?

Brian

SillyOldDuffer
                          @sillyoldduffer
                          Posted by pgk pgk on 03/10/2020 04:09:50:

I've transgressed and accepted a wrist slapping in the past – fair enough that i breached the parameters Mr Speaker constrains. If not prepared to accept those limitations in exchange for the benefits then the forum is not for you.

pgk

Me too, several times! I didn't take it personally and had no trouble understanding why Neil &/or Jason judged I'd gone too far.

For me the forum exists to exchange technical facts, experiences, ideas and suggestions. Dry fact-based forums don't appeal because I like learning to be fun and Model Engineering is a hobby. I see the forum as a combination classroom, workshop and pub, plus the occasional post mortem. I don't mind exploring interesting to me subjects, and sometimes push my luck. The forum doesn't exist so I can push my opinions on the world.

What is Model Engineering? To me it's a broad church; I'm interested in anything technical from Astronomy to Zoology, via Economics and Psychology. In that context it's hard to avoid politics completely. For example, I see Metric and Imperial as measurement systems, tools to be used and evaluated only on the basis of their logic and internal consistency. Make changes as necessary to improve them. At the other extreme some see measurement systems purely as symbols of historic identity with much the same patriotic values as the Union Flag, Stars and Stripes, and twelve 5 pointed stars on a blue field. The collision between these two views is politics!

Disagreements are inevitable in our imperfect world. Negotiate a peace treaty and move on…

Dave

Nicholas Farr
                          Participant
                            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I firmly agree that this is not the place for politics, religion, racial comments and sex etc. but I've been in many tea rooms in my working life, where all and sundry has been spoken. However, no one is ever forced to join in on anything or have opinions on what is talked about, many will just read their daily paper or in more recent years be playing games or surfing the net on their mobile, well it's the same here, no one forces anyone to read any threads or posts, so if you don't like allowable things that are discussed in the tea room, don't look at it.

Regards Nick.

Nick Wheeler
                            Participant
                              @nickwheeler
                              Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/10/2020 10:21:54:

For me the forum exists to exchange technical facts, experiences, ideas and suggestions. Dry fact-based forums don't appeal because I like learning to be fun and Model Engineering is a hobby. I see the forum as a combination classroom, workshop and pub, plus the occasional post mortem. I don't mind exploring interesting to me subjects, and sometimes push my luck. The forum doesn't exist so I can push my opinions on the world.

What is Model Engineering? To me it's a broad church; I'm interested in anything technical from Astronomy to Zoology, via Economics and Psychology. In that context it's hard to avoid politics completely.

That covers it for me: the most interesting things are those that aren't part of my 'normal' interests – the bee keeping thread is a good example, and Bodger's Lodge was an excellent demonstration of how techniques crossover. Model Engineering is a terrible term for what happens in many of our workshops, but it's the one we're stuck with.

This also combines with the Repair Shop comments: I don't want to see 30 minutes of in depth cutting, trimming, sanding, sewing of chair upholstery, just seeing how it all goes together is enough. And I definitely don't want to watch hours of machining, as I already know what that looks like!

Daniel
                              Participant
                                @daniel
                                Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 03/10/2020 10:41:44:

….." Model Engineering is a terrible term for what happens in many of our workshops, but it's the one we're stuck with."….

So when, exactly, did you visit my workshop, Nicholas ?

I cannot recall it.

devil

Nick Clarke 3
                                Participant
                                  @nickclarke3
                                  Posted by Daniel on 03/10/2020 11:52:04:

Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 03/10/2020 10:41:44:

….." Model Engineering is a terrible term for what happens in many of our workshops, but it's the one we're stuck with."….

So when, exactly, did you visit my workshop, Nicholas ?

I cannot recall it.

devil

What happens in the workshop stays in the workshop – particularly at my rate of finishing things!

Roger Best
                                  Participant
                                    @rogerbest89007

smiley

I have to agree with the moderators.

My "main" forum is the Unofficial Mamod. It has remained peaceful and harmonious for more than a decade due to ruthless moderation of anything hurtful, even to numpties. It has a large membership with strong contingents from the USA, the EU, especially Germany and Australasia. The potential to argue based on various actions in British history is awesome, but nothing is ever said, it is a place of steam heaven.

Facebook on the other hand is full of bile and bitterness. That is the place for politics, or Twitter.

Bodger Brian
                                    Participant
                                      @bodgerbrian
                                      Posted by Nicholas Farr on 03/10/2020 10:26:43:

no one forces anyone to read any threads or posts, so if you don't like allowable things that are discussed in the tea room, don't look at it.

That’s fine in theory, not so good in practice. If I’m reading a thread discussing something that is of interest to me & I come across a comment about politics (for instance) that I don’t like, are you suggesting that I stop looking at the rest of the thread (it’s virtually guaranteed that more comments in the same vein will follow) and miss out on reading any subsequent comments relevant to the original post?

How does one find out if one doesn’t like something without looking at it?

Nicholas Farr
                                      Participant
                                        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Bodger Brian, bit late in responding to your post, but no I am not suggesting that you stop looking at the rest of the thread. Myself, I just skip over such things and read and take in only those bits of interest to me, but if it gets to cluttered with what I consider rubbish, I'll just move on to the next thread that interests me. You don't know you don't like what is written until you look at it, but there is no need to dwell on it, just move on or use the report tag at the bottom of each post if you find such things offensive to yourself and/or think it maybe offensive to others.

Regards Nick.

Anthony Kendall
                                        Participant
                                          @anthonykendall53479
                                          Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2020 13:37:02:

To quote the [now] penultimate post on the recently closed thread:
                                          “Disappearing posts again! Nothing like living in a democracy.”

This is true … It is nothing like living in a democracy.
                                          It’s a web forum, with rules dictated by the hosts.
                                          Like it or lump it. … No problem with that yes
                                          MichaelG.

The poster didn't like it and he went. Nothing wrong in that either.

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Anthony Kendall on 27/02/2022 09:38:20:

The poster didn't like it and he went. Nothing wrong in that either.

Seems like a good outcome yes

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt
                                              @neilwyatt

Just 'bumping' this thread in case any more forum members feel an irresistible urge to comment on current events.

There are other forums for such discussion.

Thank you.

Neil

Mick B1
                                              Participant
                                                @mickb1

It ought to be possible to discuss political matters without personal insults or references to any who hold another point of view as members of this or that 'brigade'.

My own view is that it's more divisive and insulting language that should be banned rather than sex, religion or politics per se.

But, heigh-ho, I guess moderators only have blunt instruments available, without excessive expenditure of time…

Howard Lewis
                                                Participant
                                                  @howardlewis46836

The Forum is devoted to Model and Engineering issues.

The Tea Room seems to be a place for general, but more light hearted discussions.

Whilst lively debate ensues, NO thread should deteriorate to the point where things become heated, or personal, as they will if political or religious topics are allowed.

Why? Because, almost without exception we have our strongly held personal views and opinions.

There are times when reading some of the posts on the Forum, I feel very tempted to repeat the late John Stevenson's question of "Why don't you take up knitting, instead"." but I JUST manage to refrain.

As Neil advocates, just stay civil and none too argumentative.

Howard

Brian Baker 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @brianbaker2

greeting Neil, just wondering as you have "bumped" this up today, has anything special happened?

Regards

Brian B

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 07/07/2022 16:51:12

JA
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ja
                                                      Posted by Brian Baker 1 on 07/07/2022 16:47:41:

greeting Neil, just wondering as you have "bumped" this up today, has anything special happened?

Regards

Brian B

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 07/07/2022 16:51:12

No.

apolitical JA

Edited By JA on 07/07/2022 16:59:25

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)