Myford S7 / 254 tailstock oil nipples

Myford S7 / 254 tailstock oil nipples

Home › Forums › Manual machine tools › Myford S7 / 254 tailstock oil nipples

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #463346
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1

      specifically the one at the handwheel end, any one know is it screwed in or pressed? How would I get it out, and what size hole will be left.

      In case you're wondering I want to clamp something round the shiny screwed in bit and the nipple is in the way.

      #13830
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1
        #463356
        Martin Kyte
        Participant
          @martinkyte99762

          I'm fairly sure both nipples on the barrel are 2BA. I would imagine th eone on the cap to be the same. I'll have a proper look tomorrow.

          regards Martin

          #463368
          duncan webster 1
          Participant
            @duncanwebster1

            Mine doesn't have a hex on it if that gives a clue

            #463462
            Martin Kyte
            Participant
              @martinkyte99762

              Hi Duncan

              This is my tailstock. Not sure if I can add anything else helpfull.

              regards Martin

              tailst.jpg

              #463489
              duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1

                Ah well, my oil nipples don't have hex on, and I've tried turning them with a pair of pliers, no success. Suspect they are pressed or loctited in. I've come up with another cunning plan, which doesn't require removal of the nipple (sounds painful). Thanks anyway

                #463493
                Martin Kyte
                Participant
                  @martinkyte99762

                  If it is a push fit. If you remove the cap, takes about 2mins. You should be able to push the nipple out from the inside with a suitable sized slug poked down the hole and a bit of leverage.

                  Still if you have one of Baldricks plans. Multiple processes for de-hiding felines and all that.

                  regards Martin

                  #463634
                  ega
                  Participant
                    @ega
                    Posted by Martin Kyte on 09/04/2020 14:37:25:

                    Hi Duncan

                    This is my tailstock. Not sure if I can add anything else helpfull.

                    regards Martin

                    tailst.jpg

                    That looks to be a relatively recent tailstock; are the hydraulic nipples standard? And are they still 2BA?

                    It looks as though Myfords started with pressed-in oilers (Zerk?), progressed to the, to me, normal 2BA push type and then settled on hydraulic.

                    Whatever, it's quite the best-looking amateur lathe tailstock!

                    #463710
                    Martin Kyte
                    Participant
                      @martinkyte99762

                      They are indeed 2BA. It's actually not a new tailstock but a Myford refurbished one. I bought a factory reconditioned lathe with my old one as part exchange. Which provved a very good deal.

                      Myfords always did have nice castings.

                      regards Martin

                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                    Latest Replies

                    Home › Forums › Manual machine tools › Topics

                    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                    View full reply list.