A Message from Mortons, Publishers of ME and MEW

Advert

A Message from Mortons, Publishers of ME and MEW

Home Forums Website Announcements A Message from Mortons, Publishers of ME and MEW

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Journeyman
    Participant
      @journeyman

Technically I think bbPress is a glorified plugin for WordPress. It will not run on it’s own and requires the WordPress database to function. So still essentially WordPress and that is where the styling and appearance comes from. The home page and other bits apart from the forum are using WordPress in it’s basic form as a website.

John

Advert
      Benedict White
      Participant
        @benedictwhite51126
        On Michael Gilligan Said:
        On Benedict White Said:
        … See the BBPress website here. …

As suggested; I did that ^^^ and subsequently found this:

https://bbpress.org/about/

Now I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

MichaelG.

About what?

It is a forum bit of software. It works, though we have had some hiccups. It can also be changed at a later date.

What we don’t know is how the transfer went or whether it has been correctly indexed.

Also Cloud flair still sits in front.

Benedict White
        Participant
          @benedictwhite51126
          On Journeyman Said:

Technically I think bbPress is a glorified plugin for WordPress. It will not run on it’s own and requires the WordPress database to function. So still essentially WordPress and that is where the styling and appearance comes from. The home page and other bits apart from the forum are using WordPress in it’s basic form as a website.

John

Not sure I would class it like that. From the way things are built I suspect it is quite different to a plugin.

Journeyman
          Participant
            @journeyman

Well it’s listed as a plugin on the WordPress site:

bbPress PlugIn

Interesting to note that it hasn’t been updated for 2 years,

John

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              On Benedict White Said:
              On Michael Gilligan Said:
              Now I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

About what?

About the pious ‘mission statement’  vs the harsh reality of what we are suffering.

MichaelG.

Benedict White
              Participant
                @benedictwhite51126
                On Journeyman Said:

Well it’s listed as a plugin on the WordPress site:

bbPress PlugIn

Interesting to note that it hasn’t been updated for 2 years,

John

Yes… That is a huge problem. When choosing software I do look at when last updated and what the road map looks like.

It looks like an orphaned project. Time to migrate to another one. PHPBB is popular.

SillyOldDuffer
                  @sillyoldduffer
                  On Benedict White Said:
                  On Journeyman Said:

John

Not sure I would class it like that. From the way things are built I suspect it is quite different to a plugin.

Depends on what you understand by a “plug-in”.   In WordPress a plug-in is an optional lump of software that can be hooked into the core and called when events occur.

Many Plug-ins are black-boxes, others publish their internal code.  Free and paid for, simple or complex.  They conform to an API so you can write your own.  Seems very flexible.  A user site can consist of a single plug-in, or many parallel plug-ins.  As plug-ins can load other plug-ins, a large website can be a complicated mesh of hundreds of interacting plug-ins, including bespoke code.

Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)