3-D metal printing services

Advert

3-D metal printing services

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) 3-D metal printing services

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roy Vaughn
    Participant
      @royvaughn26060

I am pondering the practicality of replacing what should be a metal casting with a 3-D printed component.  Does anyone have any experience of doing this in a hobby context and/or know of any suitable service providers?  Roy

Advert
      Engine Builder
      Participant
        @enginebuilder
        Roy Vaughn
        Participant
          @royvaughn26060

Thanks Engine Builder, I saw the video yesterday.  The expectation was that Mark had the printing done in Oz, but JLC is part of the PCBWay operation in China.  Not a surprise given how the world is nowadays.  I had hoped that my request would reveal experience of some UK-based operations but it looks like not. Roy

David Jupp
          Participant
            @davidjupp51506

A web search will reveal some UK providers of metal 3D print services – you may have to look closely at web sites to confirm actual location (some sites may be a UK page for a service actually provided from elsewhere).

The range of metals that can be processed this way is much wider than it was a few years ago.

I’m aware of 3 major processes (but I could be out of date)

Powder bed with laser melting (SLS)

Powder bed with electron beam melting

Extruded filament, followed by sintering

Most providers will offer a facility to upload CAD files for quotation.

Chris Courtney
            Participant
              @chriscourtney72250

I’ve used Protolabs for some business CNC machining. They also offer various types of 3D printing including metal 3D printing. They are not cheap but they do a good job. You can get a free online quote from them by registering an account and sending them a 3D solid model if the part you want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)