3 1/2 Britannia

Advert

3 1/2 Britannia

Home Forums Locomotives 3 1/2 Britannia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    peter smith 5
    Participant
      @petersmith5

I am attempting to machine a set of wheels for 3 1/2"g Brit and the friend wants to have ball races. The drawing bits in my possession show very little. Any one made one? Have you got the spec for the bearings. Reeves used to supply sets but only have those for the drivers and I have the last ones from the previous owners stock.. Many thanks in advance

Advert
      peter smith 5
      Participant
        @petersmith5

Wheel bearings

julian atkins
        Participant
          @julianatkins58923

hi peter,

i would tell your friend that on a 3.5"g loco it's a complete waste of time and needless complication to fit ball races to the axleboxes/axles. there are far more important bits to worry about on LBSC's Brit than the axlebox bearings. ive only ever fitted plain bearings on all my 3.5"g and 5"g locos, though i do have a firm adherence to split axleboxes for same.

cheers,

julian

Derek Drover
          Participant
            @derekdrover32802

I'd disagree… My father built his Brit back in the 70's and fitted sealed roller bearings in it.. I don't know where he got them from (I doubt he'd remember now either), but this engine still goes strong and there's little chance of the axles/bearings wearing out. It can be a fiddle finding some of the right size, but it could save a lot of work in the future.

Have you looked at "Simply Bearings" website?

ta

del.

peter smith 5
            Participant
              @petersmith5

It's the sizes of the bearings that I need.

Pete

GWRdriver
              Participant
                @gwrdriver

I can't address your question specifically as it relates to Britannia, but I've tried to use ball bearings in a couple of locos, always with no success. I'm sure they would be a great running success, . . IF I could fit them in. Invariably a small ball bearing with an OD which will fit within the limits of a typical axle box, has an ID such that it reduces the axle diameter axle to the point where it can become a weak point and undersized for the wheel. Personally I like to retain as much axle diameter to the back of the wheel as possible.

A solution is to use needle roller bearings and matching hardened inner races. Needle bearings require careful fitting but they can work out quite well as long as their fitting, alignment, and lubrication needs are looked after.

Cheers,

Harry

Edited By GWRdriver on 16/12/2014 03:53:52

peter smith 5
                Participant
                  @petersmith5

Hi

Many thanks for those who read and replied. Wheels and axles turned to the sizes on the drawing and posted off. Most probably the loco will never ( like many others ) get above room temperature and breath fire and steam.

Merry Christmas

Pete

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)