Which way first

Advert

Which way first

Home Forums I/C Engines Which way first

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rodney Wilson Crompton
    Participant
      @rodneywilsoncrompton

I am about to start to machine the cylinder of the Powerhouse engine. 2/12 cast iron with 8 fins and 1 inch bore.

Do I start 4 jaw chuck , tailstock, machine all the exterior and fins? then fixed steady and bore ,or do it in the reverse order.?

Please do not get to technical I am in late 80s and things get done slowly, I feel that the chances of tragedy are going to be machining the fins so any advice gratefully received.

Advert
      Rodney Wilson Crompton
      Participant
        @rodneywilsoncrompton

Powerhouse Cylinder

Roderick Jenkins
        Participant
          @roderickjenkins93242

When I did the 1" bore cylinders for my Hoglet I held the cylinder block in a sc 4 jaw chuck to bore the cylinders then used tailstock support while I cut the fins with a parting tool. It all went very smoothly. I used the same method for my air cooled Farm Boy. My Matosa rotating centre is bigger than the bore but if you have a smaller centre then you can turn up a plug to fit the bore and centre on that.

Rod

JasonB
            @jasonb

I would face off one end while in the 3 or 4 jaw and put in a ctr hole. With tailstock support cut the fins while you have plenty to grip on.

Then reverse in the chuck, rough face, ctr drill and with tailstock support form the flange and waist above it.

Finally remove tailstock, drill then bore to finished size and then take the last skim cut off the underside of the flange to bring ot to final length and ensure it is at right angles to bore.

I'm assuming the flanges are left with flat edges not rounded over.

DiogenesII
            Participant
              @diogenesii

I'd also cut the fins first and do the bore and base skim last.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)