supercharged V12 2 stroke

Advert

supercharged V12 2 stroke

Home Forums I/C Engines supercharged V12 2 stroke

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    not done it yet
    Participant
      @notdoneityet

As a recent new member I haven't followed this thread before. I was amused about the 'discussion' of superchargers, turbos etc., because large, slow running marine engines of this type have been around for a loong time. Even high revving diesels heve been in use for around 70 years (3000rpm Detroit diesels as fitted in trucks and tractors, per eg). Everyone should know that they need crankcase compression (in the case of motorcycle engines, per eg) or a forced (blower) feed for others, such as the detroits. The detroits have a poppet valve for exhaust, so are probably easier to turbocharge as well as being blown. The difference is that any turbo engine of that type still needs a blower – turbos give no bost until spooled up whereas Rootes type blowers are positive displacement machines. One reason why the blower speed has to be in a fixed ratio to the engine speed in these old engines. Modern electronically controlled fuel pumps can more easily control the injection fuel/ratio, but most of these Detroits in 'pulling tractors' just inject soo much excess fuel that they smoke more than the proverbial train.

Anyway, I will now go back and read this interesting build. Very well done, Dean. I doubt iwould ever make one as complex as that. A veritable masterpiece. Do you intend flying it? How much power are you expecting?

Advert
      dean clarke 2
      Participant
        @deanclarke2

Hi Richard, yes I am still planning on flying a V12 but probably not this exact one as I have already started devolpment on a mk2 version with some fairly major modifications and design alterations, expected power output is about the 10 hp mark with the rev top end somewhere between 12k and 15k, I guess time will be the ultimate judge of these expectations. as for the current project work commitments have limited time but I have been able to progress the project a little bit. Below is an update on the new starter and also the new carb and manifold which I have made as 1 unit eliminating and separate manifold unit.

new starter 1.jpg

carb body and manifold 1.jpg

carb body and manifold 2.jpg

all thats left for this bit is a bit of cosmetic profiling and they should be ready for some barrels and bits, lol.

Thats all for now I'm afraid

cheers

Dean

Edited By dean clarke 2 on 19/06/2016 06:54:00

dean clarke 2
        Participant
          @deanclarke2

Well at last a bit more to share on this V 12 build project. Sorry for the extended delay in updates but been overly busy with other life demands recently. Here are a few photos showing what I've been up to in recent weeks with this engine build and the related side projects. The anodizing plant is moving ahead slowly and I have finally finished the new starter. photos below show progress to date

anodising setting up.jpg

Currently working on the remaining parts for the anodizing plant and will post the photos as soon as I can..

here's the finished starter.

new starter 1.jpg

starter solenoid fitted.jpg

finished starter.jpg

So now all I need to do is get the damn anodizing plant all done and put the engine back together and start it up again. YAY getting there slowly………. but surely thankfully.

Cheers for now

Dean

dean clarke 2
          Participant
            @deanclarke2

Well after much ado about nothing here I am again with another update, finally! having plucked up the courage to give this anodizing lark a go I found it wasn't actually so hard after all.Not sure why I was so chicken about doing it, just nervous of the unknown probably, oh and the risk of ruining irreplacable parts maybee. Right so now that i have faced my fears the photos below show the progress to date. here's the results of the first test run.

anodizing test 1 (1).jpg

not too bad an effort me thinks……… so onwards we go….. here's the anodizing bath in action doing the first run of the v12 fin blocks and heads.

anodizing plant in action.jpg

I had originally set up to do all the parts at the same time but found that the load was way too high for the power supply to cope with requiring more than 15 amps to run and as the power supply is only rated to 15 amps max it just wasn't going to work. The solution was to just downsize the parts stack to both fin blocks and heads as the parts are mated together and had to be the same colour. even then I had to drop the voltage to 10 volts and keep watch on it as the overload would trip out every 10/ 15 mins or so and needed to be reset. this was less than ideal in theory but seems to have worked out ok in practice as the parts came out perfectly barring a small blemish where the colour didn't take up, I suspect because the cleaning stage wasn't good enough. Oh well. photo below shows the first parts run fresh out of the bath.

anodizing 1st parts.jpg

anodizing 1st parts 2.jpg

A very nice even colour and finish so on with the next bits, drive belt housing and cover.

anodizing parts failure.jpg

These parts didn't quite go as planned and were a very dissapointing result. It looks like they anodized ok but they didn't appear to take up any colour. These were the only failure of the day and were also the only parts that were sandblasted in finish so I'm not sure if that was the cause or weather it is something else, anyone got any bright intelligent ideas? below is a photo showing all the parts that were done including the test parts, not a bad days effort I reckon but there's still a few questions that need answers.

anodizing finished parts.jpg

anodizing finished parts 2.jpg

Cheers for now

Dean

Edited By dean clarke 2 on 25/09/2016 19:19:58

JasonB
              @jasonb

Look good Dean, I was talking to another engine builder at the MEX show last week and he said that he was going to have to sand down some parts that he had blasted as the finish would not take due to lack of an oxide layer.

dean clarke 2
              Participant
                @deanclarke2

Well I have managed to start the reassembling process of the v12, starting to look rather loverly me thinks, so here's the latest photos of progress.

reassembly 1.jpg

reassembly 2.jpg

reassembly 3.jpg

I reckon this looks preeetttyyy mean lol

reassembly4.jpg

reassembly5.jpg

Busy stripping the blower drive case and cover ready for re anodizing at the moment along with cleaning up some other bits and pieces to do another anodizing run this weekend. I will endeavour to post photos when i'm all done.

cheers for now

Dean

V8Eng
                Participant
                  @v8eng

Superb! smiley

Vic
                  Participant
                    @vic

Very nice work Dean! yes

John Olsen
                    Participant
                      @johnolsen79199

I saw this in the flesh last night, it looks even better than the photos.

John

dean clarke 2
                      Participant
                        @deanclarke2

Hey there, me again and it's only been a couple of days, guess the wife is away, lol……… anyway I've been up to more mischief in the shed this weekend and have been able to do the re-anodizing of the blower drive case and cover. While they aren't perfect I think that they've come out quite well. Photos below…………………

blower drive second anodize 2.jpg

blower drive reassembly 1.jpg

blower drive reassembly 2.jpg

Doesn't look to shabby I reckon, not bad for an amateur anyway. So feeling quite encouraged by the good results I had a go at anodizing some other stuff, unrelated to the v12 but interesting none the less..

first two engines now anodized.jpg

first two engines now anodized 2.jpg

Ones dark blue and the other violet, nice good even colouring and no missed spots so I'm getting better at it. the blue heads and fins are actually the same colour but the lighting shows them different for some reason.

All in all a very pleasing weekends work………. now what else can I colour in???

Cheers for now

Dean

doubletop
                        Participant
                          @doubletop

Dean

Love the anodising your results may entice others to give it a go.

I've been meaning to comment on the starter. Have you used it yet? I did something similar for my bobcat but couldn't get it to work the load imposed by pushing the starter into the starter dog and the kick when the engine fired and pushed the starter out of the dog caused the engine to stall. maybe not a problem when you've got 12 cylinders. My solution was a sprag clutch bearing in a unit purchased from Hobby King. It’s for starting large scale helicopters.

It made starting so much easier

Pete

dean clarke 2
                          Participant
                            @deanclarke2

Hey Pete, how's it going mate? the starter works great in the test setup but haven't got the v12 ready to run yet so can't answer your question, still working on the new carbs. It should be fine though as the lead-out on the dog drive is quite gentle and when the engine fires up I just pull the starter out with it still running so there's no significant loading on the engine at disengagement. will let you know how I get onn when the time comes to bring it back to life.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys I really appreciate it.

cheers for now

Dean

Hopper
                            Participant
                              @hopper

The intricacy of your work is just astounding. Beautiful result. Thanks for sharing.

The anodizing was worth the agonizing, it looks brilliant.

dean clarke 2
                              Participant
                                @deanclarke2

Hi all, been a little while I know but here is a bit more of the happenings from the workshop. Have finished the new carb bodies and intake trumpets, photos below….new carbs 1.jpg

new carbs 2.jpg

Cheers for now

Dean

Bill Pudney
                                Participant
                                  @billpudney37759

Absolutely stunning!!!

cheers

Bill

dean clarke 2
                                  Participant
                                    @deanclarke2

Well we have some more progress, albeit slow so slow…………….. I have got the new ignition loom sorted and fitted, looks a bit more like the real thing I reckon………….. photo below, next is to finish the new carbs and fuel rail then it's startup time yay…….. only been far toooo long. oh well.

dsc05418.jpg

cheers for now

Dean

not done it yet
                                    Participant
                                      @notdoneityet

Carbs? Look deserving of multi point fuel injection, to mesmiley

If they don't make anything suitable, I reckon you could build your own!

Keep up the excellent work. I am just one of those eagerly awaiting further progress on this amazing project!!

dean clarke 2
                                      Participant
                                        @deanclarke2

So here's the next step in the addition of new bigger and better breathing carbs…….. photo's show the progress to date……

new carbs 3.jpg

new carbs 4.jpg

new carbs 8.jpg

Next it's barrels and levers and we're all ready for start up….

cheers

Dean

Jeff Dayman
                                        Participant
                                          @jeffdayman43397

Looking great Dean, really like the new carbs. Good luck with barrels etc and do please let us see/hear a video when there's fresh noise. JD

dean clarke 2
                                          Participant
                                            @deanclarke2

Ok so I thought I might just put this photo up to show the difference in the cab throat diameters….

carb comparison.jpg

hopefully this cures the breathing restriction problem!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Cheers

Dean

David Taylor
                                            Participant
                                              @davidtaylor63402

Wow, that's beautiful!

V8Eng
                                              Participant
                                                @v8eng

Lovely work.

I think you are just a bit late for submissions to the "Turner Prize".smiley

dean clarke 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @deanclarke2

LOL, probably just as well coz I can't get the damn thing to run now!!!!teethteethcrying 2crying 2angry 2fistkuloucrook………………………………………………………………………………………………It fires up with a squirt of fuel down the throat but wont actually start and run, have spent a few hours messing about with different bits and pieces but gave up in the endangry 2crying 2crying 2, the prime tells me its short on fuel so following that up with some problem solving bourbons and will probably try again next weekend after I stop crying and wailing…… Oh and did I mention that the starter seized solid just to really test the limits of human rage!!!!!

Wondering if I shouldn't just give up????…………….. except I'm far to stubborn for that..

Disappointed dean

Michael Gilligan
                                                  Participant
                                                    @michaelgilligan61133
                                                    Posted by dean clarke 2 on 18/12/2016 09:12:22:

… so following that up with some problem solving bourbons

Presumably of the Kentucky variety, not these: **LINK**

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_biscuit

MichaelG.

Best of luck with it, Dean … it's beautiful piece of work.

Russ B
                                                    Participant
                                                      @russb

I know nothing about model engine carbs but if i recall correctly, larger carbs on my race bike, had larger jets because the air velocity was lower so it didn't draw fuel as well – it was much more difficult to get it starting and running smooth at the bottom end with bigger carbs, but it gave it the breathing capacity at the top end.

Edited By Russ B on 18/12/2016 09:44:48

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 273 total)