supercharged V12 2 stroke

Advert

supercharged V12 2 stroke

Home Forums I/C Engines supercharged V12 2 stroke

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    Curtis Rutter
    Participant
      @curtisrutter61973

This is exactly the type of model engineering I want to do once I've become proficient on a lathe & mill! Although still need to acquire a mill crying 2

Starting an evening course in a few weeks at local college to get to grips with the lathe, then the sky's the limit

Advert
      dean clarke 2
      Participant
        @deanclarke2

Hey Michael, yeah fairly certain the tea and bickies just ain't gunna cut it mate. definitely was large quantities of the Kentucky variety. lol…….. so having thought about it for a bit it seems to me that the fuel system just isn't delivering enough fuel, when I was turning it over on the starter it was running but not enough to keep itself going, but inject some fuel into the carbs and the bloody thing damn near left the bench, until it ran out of prime. If I stick my finger over the trumpet it almost gets sucked into the blower so definitely got plenty of suck happening now. If I get no joy with a much larger fuel rail then I'll try making new barrels with a slightly smaller diameter in them and taper the hole up to the jet outlet. Oh and of course Fix the damn starter!!!angry 2fistcrying 2

LOLembarrassed

Cheers for now

Dean

Edited By dean clarke 2 on 19/12/2016 02:17:25

John Olsen
        Participant
          @johnolsen79199

It didn't want to run because I was there watching.

It goes without saying that the starter came off an English vehicle!

I still think it wouldn't hurt to beef up the wiring so that the glow plugs would get the proper voltage.

John

dean clarke 2
          Participant
            @deanclarke2

LOL yeah top quality lucas starter right there mate, I think it must have been thinking you were still there coz it didn't play ball after you left either., have done the wiring mod to the glow driver and the starter leads. I am planning to get the fuel rail sorted this week, yeah right I can here you from here mate LOLsad

cheers

Dean

Ian Abbott
            Participant
              @ianabbott31222

Over here in the Great White North, they used to call Lucas electrics "Prince of the Dark". Wonder what they'd have thought to the Miller 6v electrics on my old '54 Velocette. I once tried to convince a cop in a Z Car that I couldn't know how fast I was going, because the speedo light was so dim….. Took a dim view (ok, that was bad). I think he was a tad miffed because it took him a few miles to catch me around the town streets. I didn't know he was there until I stopped outside the house and turned the engine off. Fortunately this was also in the days before breathalyzers too.

The bit that miffed me was that normally I ran straight up the driveway and into the garage before I lifted the valve to kill the engine, but next door had just had a baby and I'd been threatened by my mother that if the fishtail woke anything or anyone, I was for the high jump.

Ian

Ian Abbott
              Participant
                @ianabbott31222

1954 mac.jpg

This is the only photo of the '54 Velo. Boy, did we have fun. Purists will notice that it has a later tank and seat and Ace bars. Done before I bought it. Someone had also modified the innards, so it was a sort of 500cc MAC not 350cc. I'm sure that other stuff had been done and it pissed off a lot of Triumph riders who thought that they had a chance…..

dean clarke 2
                Participant
                  @deanclarke2

Just a quick update to let you know I am still working my way through a bunch of mods and alterations to get this engine running properly, low vacuum and poor fuel draw are the main issues and i have reduced the blower drive to compensate for over boosting, (I think, not sure just yet but trying out different things to see. make 1 change at a time Dean).

cheers for now

Dean

dean clarke 2
                  Participant
                    @deanclarke2

OK so thought I should probably post again just in case anyone was thinking I'd given up? No? ok so I have now made a new set of carb barrels and am just now charging up the batteries to test run it again this weekend. I will post the results as soon as I have some, good or not so good.

cheers

Dean

David Colwill
                    Participant
                      @davidcolwill19261

Good luck!

David.

Ady1
                      Participant
                        @ady1

Lots of us armchairing this one Dean

GL

vintagengineer
                        Participant
                          @vintagengineer
                          Posted by Ady1 on 07/12/2013 11:30:30:

The RTA96C-14 turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is produced by Swiss company Wartsila-Sulzer and is the largest and most powerful diesel engine in the world today.

A Swiss Company…. Switzerland is landlocked and produces marine diesels…

Whatever happened to Britannia rules the waves?

Basel is the main shipping port for Switzerland.

JA
                          Participant
                            @ja

I will listen out for it.

JA

Ian S C
                            Participant
                              @iansc

Dean, fingers (and every thing else)crossed.

Ian S C

Blake Nesbitt
                              Participant
                                @blakenesbitt59110

Wow!

Did you get the starter fixed? An airsoft gearbox motor might suit your needs a bit more than the modified motorbike starter.

They run from 7-12 volts. Generally from a lipo or Nimh pack. And can turn from 10K rpm high torque, to 45K rmp low torque. High Torque models are often really aggressive neo magnet based and hard to hand crank, speed models are normally ferrite and easy to hand crank.

The pinions are remove-able and are either grub screw on flat, or thread lock on round. So you could make a starter dog for the rear or front of the engine. Leaving it engaged would not damage the motor either as they have bearings and are mostly balanced. You can strip them (pinion off, 2 rear tabs opened, slide out the rotor to the rear). Then drill balance the rotor and re-shim if needed.

A man of your talents could make a lovely pistol starter with the batteries inside.

Normally they run anywhere from £10-60 depending on the brand (brand is everything in airsoft). And brand often means very little, It's a name and they probably shimmed and balanced it for £50 more.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-part/parts-upgrade-aeg/motors-parts/a-p-s-ev-edge-motor-with-bearing.html#.WPFjamehfZI

Rob Appleby
                                Participant
                                  @robappleby87741

I've sat for an hour and read through this complete thread.

Simply outstanding!

Russ B
                                  Participant
                                    @russb

Welcome to the "Dean Clarke 2" appreciation group!

laugh

dean clarke 2
                                    Participant
                                      @deanclarke2

Well let me start with an apology to anyone left hanging from my last post to those of you have have just flatly fallen asleep from boredom waiting for another update. I have been somewhat sidetracked with this project with trying to catch up with some previously started projects that have been left wallowing in despair at the back of the shop.

Photos below show the causes for the delays.

blown v8 1.jpg

mono block v4 1.jpg

mk4 v4.jpg

I should have the V12 running again in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers for now

Dean

Nick_G
                                      Participant
                                        @nick_g

One again Dean you have stunned us all into silence through sheer awe with your vision and skill. yes

Nick

Neil Wyatt
                                          @neilwyatt

>drools<

Neil Lickfold
                                          Participant
                                            @neillickfold44316

They look way better in person I tell ya all. Those pics don't do the work justice. Dean does fantastic work because he has the "want to" The want to make this, want to anodise that, etc etc etc. Keep the pics coming Dean.

Muzzer
                                            Participant
                                              @muzzer

Have you fired any of them up yet? Looking great – love to see some vids!

Murray

Ian Abbott
                                              Participant
                                                @ianabbott31222

Just had a random thought. Have you looked at a compressed air starter? An air driven die grinder might have enough torque and can spin up to over 22k. All you'd need is to turn up an adapter that would fit the 1/4" collet.

Bonus is that it would sound really cool…..

Ian

dean clarke 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @deanclarke2

Well as far as vid's go, apart from the previously posted ones there's nothing new to show. engines above aren't quite finished yet but, rest assured, as soon as I get my A into G and finish some of them the filming will start, not my backside this time either lol.

Cheers

Dean

Edited By dean clarke 2 on 07/08/2017 20:32:45

dean clarke 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @deanclarke2

Right click on this link and select the " go to" option to see the last test run. still working through the throttling and high speed running issues.
                                                    cheers
                                                    Dean

Edited By dean clarke 2 on 11/08/2017 02:55:39

Neil Lickfold
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neillickfold44316

Link does not work for me. Can you check it again please.

Neil

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 273 total)