Myford Super-7 (1955) – Headstock cap-scew size??

Myford Super-7 (1955) – Headstock cap-scew size??

Home › Forums › Beginners questions › Myford Super-7 (1955) – Headstock cap-scew size??

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #789618
    flatline
    Participant
      @flatline

      Good evening all…

      I am still very much a beginner and have had my Super-7 since May last year…. I have learnt enough to understand that now is the time to get the bed, saddle & cross-slide re-ground…

      I have disassembled virtually everything, and am down to the last 4 bolts/cap-scews that hold the headstock to the bed.

      So far I have got away with a selection of metric & AF tools, but these last 4 definitely need the right tool for the job.

      Can anyone tell me what size Allen-socket I need to undo these please??

      Many thanks.. 🙏

       

      IMG_5090

      #789625
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

        if as you say you have af imperial sizes then you are there

        #789628
        flatline
        Participant
          @flatline

          Unfortunately I don’t have any AF Allen-sockets…

          I have an old Allen-key that has no markings but measures 0.215”/5.45mm across the flats… it fits, but it’s not ideal… as I say, it’s quite old & of unknown manufacture so I don’t know if those measurements reflect the actual size required??

          any help greatly appreciated.

          #789629
          Nigel Graham 2
          Participant
            @nigelgraham2

            “Getting away with” is about right. Normally, the fasteners on these lathes are all BSF, BSW and BA.

            You risk rounded-off hexagons by using poorly-fitting spanners and keys – oh, and skinned fingers from spanners suddenly slipping off, but skin grows back.

            #789631
            Martin Kyte
            Participant
              @martinkyte99762

              You need a TEE wrench on these as they will be very tight. Do get something that fits correctly.

               

              #789654
              Diogenes
              Participant
                @diogenes

                These are reliably good & you can buy them singly – for this particular application, I’d use a plain rather than a ball-end pattern.. ..you can shop around, obviously..

                https://bondhus.co.uk/collections/t-handles

                #789656
                JasonB
                Moderator
                  @jasonb

                  A quick look on Myford’s site tells me they are 5/16BSF fixings. A google for that size screw spec says they are 7/32″ nominal hex so that is what you need. Sanity check 7/32″ is 0.218″ so close to the one you have

                  #789665
                  flatline
                  Participant
                    @flatline

                    JasonB – many thanks for your reply, progress will be swift now!!

                    #789684
                    SillyOldDuffer
                    Moderator
                      @sillyoldduffer
                      On flatline Said:

                      Unfortunately I don’t have any AF Allen-sockets…

                      I have an old Allen-key that has no markings but measures 0.215”/5.45mm across the flats… it fits, but it’s not ideal… as I say, it’s quite old & of unknown manufacture so I don’t know if those measurements reflect the actual size required??

                      any help greatly appreciated.

                      Don’t mess about, buy a set of Imperial Allen keys, and avoid ‘too cheap’.  T-Handles are best if frequent use is likely.

                      An early  lesson painfully learned by me is that fasteners are easily damaged by ill-fitting tools, and the aggro that causes isn’t worth the risk!  A tight Allen socket that’s been distorted by an ill-fitting key becomes a major problem.  Ditto screw-heads and nuts and bolts damaged by misfit tooling.  Worth getting sets of tools that fit accurately.  Though 90% metric, I haven’t begrudged buying both metric and imperial Allen key sets.

                      Old tools must be in good condition, and that depends on their history.  Wrong size, and/or worn.   Any doubt, chuck ’em out!

                      My advice, don’t cheapskate on this one.

                      Dave

                       

                      #789691
                      JasonB
                      Moderator
                        @jasonb

                        I’d go with a 1/4 or 3/8 drive with 7/32″ hex, a ratchet or tee bar will give more leverage than a tee or L shaped key and extensions will give you the reach needed.

                        #789716
                        noel shelley
                        Participant
                          @noelshelley55608

                          Not entirely off topic ! I was faced with a number of 3/16″ af countersunk head bolts that were seized and had been attacked by the cabin boy who having butchered the heads gave up. For this size (4.75mm ) take a short 5mm hex key and hammer in to the bolt head, it will cut its own size and will give the best hope of success. Noel.

                          #789725
                          Clive Brown 1
                          Participant
                            @clivebrown1

                            My 7/32″ hex key is, as close as I can measure, within a tenth of a thou. of exact size, 0.2188. It’s a very snug fit in a 5/16″ allen screw. I think the OPs key at ~4 thou. less might seem quite slack at this size.

                            #789729
                            Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              On Clive Brown 1 Said:

                              My 7/32″ hex key is, as close as I can measure, within a tenth of a thou. of exact size, 0.2188. It’s a very snug fit in a 5/16″ allen screw. I think the OPs key at ~4 thou. less might seem quite slack at this size.

                              Agreed !!

                              Like so many things these days;  many are made “a little worse …”

                              For the job at hand, only the best is really good enough

                              MichaelG.

                              #789734
                              noel shelley
                              Participant
                                @noelshelley55608

                                is the key the OP using a 7/32″ or is it a 5.5mm ? Their very close. Noel

                                #789771
                                Bill Phinn
                                Participant
                                  @billphinn90025

                                  Provided you use the right imperial hex bit, not an almost-there metric one, I’m with Jason on this: use a 1/4” or 3/8” breaker bar, sliding T or ratchet with extension if necessary. For tight spaces, wobble extensions are a good alternative to standard ones.

                                  You’ll just need an imperial hex bit set (surely indispensable if you have a British lathe) and the relevant 1/4” or 3/8” square to 1/4” hex adapter.

                                  Personally I rarely use Allen keys now on anything; it’s usually hex screwdrivers and one or other of the above.

                                  #789824
                                  flatline
                                  Participant
                                    @flatline

                                    A set of long-reach hex-sockets purchased today, the 7/32” fitted perfectly & the headstock was removed within a few minutes.
                                    many thanks for the advice 😎🇬🇧👍

                                    IMG_5099IMG_5098

                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                                  Latest Replies

                                  Home › Forums › Beginners questions › Topics

                                  Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                                  Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                                  View full reply list.