Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Advert

Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    mal webber
    Participant
      @malwebber91786

img_20181206_191240.jpgHello all , going to have a go building a model of the Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon not everyone's cup of tea but there maybe some that are interested, these cannons were built from 1917 to the mid forties made in the U.K and later made in the U.S ,the cannon served in WW1 and early days of WW2 ,there were a few small differences in the builds but the main thing was the barrel length, going to try snd build this model in a 2 inch scale or thereabouts no build plans just pictures and a operators manual with some good drawings in it all of the net .

here are a couple of pictures of were i'am at, going to build chassis first and work it out from there .

Thanks Mal.img_20181206_191220.jpg

Advert
      mal webber
      Participant
        @malwebber91786

Vickers Bl 8 icnch Howitzer

ronan walsh
        Participant
          @ronanwalsh98054

Very good, i will watch with interest.

Thor 🇳🇴
          Participant
            @thor

Hi Mal,

You have made a good start so far, looking forward to see the rest of your build.

Thor

David George 1
            Participant
              @davidgeorge1

Thanks Mal for posting different model's but how do you go about creating such items like the trail hitch is it a casting or is it made by fabrication for instance. Great work, keep the pictures coming.

David

Brian H
              Participant
                @brianh50089

Thanks for posting something out of the ordinary Mal, it's looking good.

Brian

mal webber
                Participant
                  @malwebber91786

Hello all

Thanks for the interest in the build, this is a first for me to build a model with no plans so lots of mistakes will be made no doubt ,David no castings will be made for this build has i have not got the expertise in any sort of casting or pattern making, the trail hitch in the picture is made from 4mm flat plate with some fabrication to make it look a bit like a cast peace which is on the full size Howitzer.

Thanks Mal.

Ron Laden
                  Participant
                    @ronladen17547

Glad you have started a build thread on this Mal, I will follow with interest as its nice to see something different.

Ron

Paul Kemp
                    Participant
                      @paulkemp46892

Mal,

That drawbar looks excellent, is it a fabrication?

Paul.

Neil Wyatt
                        @neilwyatt

Looks good, the sort of model I want to tackle some day!

Neil

mal webber
                        Participant
                          @malwebber91786
                          Posted by Paul Kemp on 07/12/2018 20:35:16:

Mal,

Paul.

HI Paul thanks for the interest it is fabrication out of 4 mill plate and i tried to make it look like a casting.

Mal.

Vic
                          Participant
                            @vic

Good start Mal. Looking forward to seeing the work on the barrel.

Paul Kemp
                            Participant
                              @paulkemp46892
                              Posted by mal webber on 07/12/2018 20:50:52:

Posted by Paul Kemp on 07/12/2018 20:35:16:

Mal,

Paul.

HI Paul thanks for the interest it is fabrication out of 4 mill plate and i tried to make it look like a casting.

Mal.

Well you have nailed that! Very nice work, looks every bit like it is cast. Well done.

Paul.

ronan walsh
                              Participant
                                @ronanwalsh98054

Have you looked for original drawings ? Maybe the Imperial war museum or the Tank museum in Bovingdon could help ?

mal webber
                                Participant
                                  @malwebber91786

Thanks Ronan did not cross my mind to look for plans from a museum, think i have enough info of the internet to go on at the moment but will bear that in mind if I get stuck on something.

Thanks Mal.

mal webber
                                  Participant
                                    @malwebber91786

Hello all , little bit more done on the trail for the howitzer cannon ,no machining work for a while but plenty of fabrication work to be done, so made some brackets that rivet on the side of the trail that the spade or thrust plate bolt on to, didn't show how these were done as its just a bending of some steel with holes drilled in to them .

Thanks Mal.img_20181209_144918.jpgimg_20181209_144822.jpg

mal webber
                                    Participant
                                      @malwebber91786

Hello all.  thought I would keep the pictures coming no matter how small the progress is , so bit more done on the howitzer chassis, limber rubbing plates done and riveted on and cross beam [ the limber is the cart that was towed in between the howitzer and the vehicle that would be towing the cannon and these plates are for wheel rubbing on sharp turning , there is a rear cart as well for the firing platform , any way holes drilled on top plate ready for rivets and the wood blanks for under foot grip.

Thanks Mal.img_20181212_205048.jpg

img_20181212_205127.jpg

Edited By mal webber on 12/12/2018 23:02:06

Edited By mal webber on 12/12/2018 23:02:44

Buffer
                                      Participant
                                        @buffer

Mal

Great work, how are you going to make the breech interrupted screws?

Rich

Mick B1
                                        Participant
                                          @mickb1
                                          Posted by Richard brown 1 on 13/12/2018 08:20:29:

Mal

Rich

More difficult in the breech ring than the plug, I'd think… >

mal webber
                                          Participant
                                            @malwebber91786
                                            Posted by Richard brown 1 on 13/12/2018 08:20:29:

Mal

Rich

Hi Rich , thanks for the interest will cross that bridge when I get to it, plenty of time to think about it .

Thanks Mal.

mal webber
                                            Participant
                                              @malwebber91786

Hello all ,small move forward on the trail chassis for the Howitzer, hope those who are interested don't mind small update progress ,but like I said I'll keep the pictures coming ,well some rivets done [some false some threaded rivets due to angle and not possible to do so in places,plus not necessary ] any way photo 1 added spade holder, photo 2 is the next part to be fabricated marked out in the circle, next couple of photos is how I wen't about it.

Thanks Mal.

img_20181213_185349.jpgimg_20181214_230837.jpgimg_20181214_183926.jpgimg_20181214_184024.jpgimg_20181214_193855.jpgimg_20181214_203901.jpgimg_20181214_203734.jpg

David George 1
                                              Participant
                                                @davidgeorge1

Keep us up to date with information and pictures, magic work. But if you need any help just ask.

David

JasonB
                                                  @jasonb

It's not until you see the vice in your last set of photos that it hits home how large this model is going to be!

mal webber
                                                  Participant
                                                    @malwebber91786

Thanks David ,Jason the vise has 4 inch jaws so yes the model will be a little big, what the hell i'am going to do with it when its finished I have no idea but will enjoy building it for now.

Thanks Mal.

Dalboy
                                                    Participant
                                                      @dalboy
                                                      Posted by mal webber on 15/12/2018 08:32:39:

Thanks David ,Jason the vise has 4 inch jaws so yes the model will be a little big, what the hell i'am going to do with it when its finished I have no idea but will enjoy building it for now.

Thanks Mal.

I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with them once complete. When I have completed my wooden models I have that exact problem but it is the enjoyment of making them for me.

Fantastic detail and all those rivets whether they are for holding together or decorative must take ages

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 287 total)