Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Advert

Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    Alan Jackson
    Participant
      @alanjackson47790

Magnificent work Mal. It will be great to see this when it can be exhibited.

Alan

Advert
      mechman48
      Participant
        @mechman48

Superb as usual Mal; itching to see how you work the breech block.

George.

Richard Millington
        Participant
          @richardmillington63972

Lovely build, a credit to you.

I am thinking of doing a Pak40, just trying to get some drawings/dimensions together, but seeing this I will have to up my gameyes

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

This really is shaping up to be a superb model.

mal webber
            Participant
              @malwebber91786

Hello all

Thanks for the comments and interest in the Howitzer build ,Richard the pak40 would make a very nice model what sort of scale are you thinking of building it in .

Well small update on the Howitzer build not really got much more done than the last post not down to shed time but everything I have made lately I've managed to mess up on by silly mistakes and the part ends up in the scrap bin, what I did manage to make is the carriage bearing and bolt so it fastens from the underside and started on some of the tin work to cover the carriage, couple of pictures below of my very slow progress .

Thanks Mal

img_20201106_174741.jpgimg_20201029_223428.jpgimg_20201031_204642.jpgimg_20201121_191609.jpgimg_20201121_191546.jpgimg_20201121_201250.jpg

Jeff Dayman
              Participant
                @jeffdayman43397

Looking great Mal! fully boxed frames – long before the hot rodders got onto the idea…..Cheers

Robert Butler
                Participant
                  @robertbutler92161

I'm gasping for an update

Robert Butler

Ady1
                  Participant
                    @ady1

Hope he's ok

I found a booklet with 88mm details and I think the source site will have a lot of other historical military stuff for those people who are interested in militaria

Edited By Ady1 on 04/05/2022 00:13:11

David George 1
                    Participant
                      @davidgeorge1

Hi Mal hope all is well. I wondered if you would be taking your Howitzer to the show at Midlands exhibition center this year. Many people would love to see it.

David

mal webber
                      Participant
                        @malwebber91786

Hello everyone, I have been working on moving the shed about and making it bigger ,haven't done any progress on the Howitzer since the last post but will start up again as soon as thing's are sorted. David may be next year when the build is a bit more together.

Thanks Mal.

mal webber
                        Participant
                          @malwebber91786

img20220511142607.jpg

Edited By mal webber on 12/05/2022 22:27:44

mal webber
                          Participant
                            @malwebber91786

Hi all ,well no room for the Howitzer in the shed at the moment so thought I would have a go at the breach threads which went all wrong towards the end, not realising that the dividing head had slipped and managed to brake of the tip of the cutting tool with out realising that it had so this being a total fail but second attempt will be started soon, thought I would put up some pics as not posted in a while even if its a failsmileyimg20220510204145.jpgimg20220511142429.jpg

Edited By mal webber on 12/05/2022 22:44:50

mal webber
                            Participant
                              @malwebber91786

Forgot to mention this was not in scale with the Howitzer in size or the number of threads just a practice run at trying to figure it out , lots of lessons learned by trying so will see how the second attempt will go.

Thanks Mal.

Dominic Bramley
                              Participant
                                @dominicbramley60728

Seeing this thread up and running again has made my day.

Glad you're well Mal!

Dom

Peter Bowers 3
                                Participant
                                  @peterbowers3

Hi Mal watching this with interest from Australia. My Grand father was is the Siege Artillery in WW1. Im hoping to build one of these soon, not as big as yours thoughsmiley

Mick B1
                                  Participant
                                    @mickb1

If you decide you wanna go for a Firearm Cert and shoot it, I've still got some Cordite MDT 5-2 taken from 303 Mk.VII ball, that should work fine if you chop it coarsely…

winklaugh

SillyOldDuffer
                                      @sillyoldduffer
                                      Posted by mal webber on 12/05/2022 23:01:00:

Forgot to mention this was not in scale with the Howitzer in size or the number of threads just a practice run at trying to figure it out , lots of lessons learned by trying so will see how the second attempt will go.

Thanks Mal.

Nonetheless impressive! How did you go about it? There are two stepped threads and a blank sector:

My guess.

1. Bore the breech to suit the inner thread diameter and cut the thread conventionally.
                                      2. Broach the second and third sectors,
                                      3. Cut the second thread group laboriously, one at a time, over 60°.

Doable, but tedious skilled work; I'd get bored and mess-up. Is there an easier way, or am I left slack-jawed in amazement again? Plenty of good work shown on the forum, but your Howitzer is ticking all my boxes!

smiley

Dave

Ady1
                                      Participant
                                        @ady1

I have often wondered what the machining solution for these things was but have never seen anything

…The obvious solution was to make a sliding breech block…

Richard Millington
                                        Participant
                                          @richardmillington63972
                                          Posted by mal webber on 30/11/2020 19:44:41:

Hello all

Thanks for the comments and interest in the Howitzer build ,Richard the pak40 would make a very nice model what sort of scale are you thinking of building it in .

Apologies I missed this. blush

Pak 40, not to scale or even 100% accurate. All made from stainless from the scrap tub apart from the nylatron tyres!

17" total length from tip of the muzzle brake to the towing hitch.

img_5562.jpg

img_5565.jpg

img_5567.jpg

mal webber
                                          Participant
                                            @malwebber91786

Hello all.

Richard that is a fantastic looking model of the PAK 40 very impressive and detailed nicely, good size as well at 17" thanks for sharing.

Peter couple of pictures on here when you start the build would be very interesting.

Mick thanks for the offer but will keep it as a model.

Dave that is pretty much how I went about it, although the cut outs in the breech would never work with a swing-away plug. So I have been trolling the internet for a good few days now and am about to start my second attempt, Ady1 it sure would make it easier to have a sliding plug.

Thanks, Mal.

Buffer
                                            Participant
                                              @buffer

Mal

How do you cut the threads though?

Thanks

Mick B1
                                              Participant
                                                @mickb1
                                                Posted by mal webber on 18/05/2022 18:21:53:

Dave that is pretty much how I went about it, although the cut outs in the breech would never work with a swing-away plug. So I have been trolling the internet for a good few days now and am about to start my second attempt, Ady1 it sure would make it easier to have a sliding plug.

Thanks, Mal.

I think you're right that there's an issue with a hinged breechblock carrier and the arc of insertion of the block creating interferences. I'm sure I've seen drawings somewhere of the the reliefs that were used to prevent them.

There an amazing and impressive animation of the breech workings of the 15" naval gun here:-

**LINK**

… but it skates over the problem and I wonder if it cheats…

Mick B1
                                                Participant
                                                  @mickb1

You can see the relief arcs for the swinging breechblock on P7 of this document:-

**LINK**

SillyOldDuffer
                                                    @sillyoldduffer
                                                    Posted by Mick B1 on 18/05/2022 20:11:08:

Posted by mal webber on 18/05/2022 18:21:53:

Dave that is pretty much how I went about it, although the cut outs in the breech would never work with a swing-away plug.

I think you're right that there's an issue with a hinged breechblock carrier and the arc of insertion of the block creating interferences. I'm sure I've seen drawings somewhere of the the reliefs that were used to prevent them.

There an amazing and impressive animation of the breech workings of the 15" naval gun here:-

**LINK**

… but it skates over the problem and I wonder if it cheats…

The problem would be solved if the breech mechanism moved back slightly before and whilst swinging out.

The animation is amazing, but I can't see any sign of it – though the horizontal movement might be too small. Two possibilities: the turning arm on the right cams as it rotates, and the carrier pintle unscrews as well:

breechsidecam.jpg

carrierpintle.jpg

pintleopen.jpg

pintleclosed.jpg

Not convinced by my own suggestion, though the comment 'Axial Vent Bolt is keyed to Carrier Pintle so doesn't rotate with Breech Screw' may be supportive.

By the by can't see the relief angles in Mick's other interesting document: page 7? Sorry if I'm seeing and not seeing again.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 19/05/2022 09:31:46

Mick B1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @mickb1
                                                      Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 19/05/2022 09:31:04:

By the by can't see the relief angles in Mick's other interesting document: page 7? Sorry if I'm seeing and not seeing again.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 19/05/2022 09:31:46

It only shows as 7 of 61 on the pdf page count at the top of the view – on the document image itself it's in the drawings facing page 10 as printed. There are arcs cut away to allow the swing-passage of the breech block. This will obviously have reduced the pressure limits for the closure, but equally obviously this will have to have been calculated for – though I've little idea offhand how to approach that…

blush

Here's a screengrab:-

8inchhowbrch.jpg

Looks as if there might be a corresponding bite out of the block itself too.

Edited By Mick B1 on 19/05/2022 16:27:47

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 287 total)