4 Truck Shay 5 inch

Advert

4 Truck Shay 5 inch

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items 4 Truck Shay 5 inch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    conrod
    Participant
      @conrod

Decided to build a Shay, my kids gave me Hiroka’s book ages ago and now I am retired I thought its about time. Got frustrated bending up a “bar” truck and decided to go “cast” truck and 3 1/2 was too fiddley so up to 5 inch.

Looked around and found Greenbreir Cheat and Elk #3156, originally 3 truck but rebuilt to 4. I thought “why not, what could go wrong?”, So got stuck in, and found plenty could go wrong, see my introduction in “Introduce yourself”. It looked wrong, like an apprentice would make.

So scrapped first attempt, had a cuppa, got out the drawing board and began to plan things.

Going to do 1 truck first, the original gearing was 20/49 giving 2.45 to 1, I had some 1.5mod cutters and decided to compromise at 17/40 giving 2.35 to one, looks corect enough for me, I’m not a “rivet counter”

Here are the first 4 wheels and 2 gears, next are the 17 tooth pinions and bearing blocks.first wheels

Advert
      Weary
      Participant
        @weary

Great project!

But that reach over the two-truck tender is going to be a long stretch without extended controls and maybe oil or gas-firing.   Or are you going for a ride-on tender?

Phil

conrod
        Participant
          @conrod

Dear Phil,

Quite correct,, it is going to be long. Will get 4 trucks and both frames done and then decide, probaly turn the tender into a riding truck with small coal and water and top up more often.

conrod
          Participant
            @conrod

Just finished the second pinion 17 tooth 1.5mod, now to start on the bearing boxessecond pinion

conrod
            Participant
              @conrod

Secured the wheels using 4 off 4mm dia grub screws each,,will do 4 flats on each axle soonset screws

conrod
              Participant
                @conrod

Bearing blocks roughed outshay red

conrod
                Participant
                  @conrod

Did the “Non drive” side bearings, still to profile them so they are not just rectangular blocks. Will now get the meshing of pinions correct by adjusting position of bearings on axle. Then put rest of bracing in and I can have something to roll along the track!!!red

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)