Copper boiler descaling

Advert

Copper boiler descaling

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Copper boiler descaling

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zan
    Participant
      @zan

At the end of last years season the pump uo my 3” waggon packed up.  This was traced to a slipped sleeve fitted to reduce the delivery  a repair was made.  Today, I was doing a pre season test steam and found the hand pump needed a high degree of force to make it work

on investigating things, eventually the feed clack was removed, and I was alarmed to see that the delivery hole was only about 1mm dia.  It was clogged with scale.  On removal, hard scale had to be “drilled” out to the 3/16” that it should be    So that’s why the pump appeared to fail – nowhere for the water to go!

obviously the rest of the boiler  must be heavily scaled   I see Hcl , brick cleaner, citric acid and kilrock (from B&Q) mentioned in some posts in the past for a quick and effective cure

What have members used ? And what dilution rates, timing etc should I aim for?.

Advert
      Paul Lousick
      Participant
        @paullousick59116

We use vinegar to clean the injectors on our steam engine. Use the cheap type sold at your supermarket which is used for cleaning. Soak parts in 100% vinegar. It is only a mild acid.

duncan webster 1
        Participant
          @duncanwebster1

Kettle descale has been recommended before, no idea what its chemistry is

Edit: Google suggests copper is attacked slowly by hydrochloric acid, the oxide film dissolves, but is continually replenished by the oxygen dissolved in the water used to dilute the acid. I think brick acid is hydrochloric.

DC31k
          Participant
            @dc31k

Every proprietary formulation you buy (e.g. Kilrock) will either have its chemical content written on the label or it will be available from the manufacturer’s website on the MSDS (material safety data sheet).

Every proprietary formulation you buy will be a basic industrial chemical with 300% markup on the price for packaging and marketing,

Specific boiler descalers are available:

https://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/boiler-maintenance/boiler-descaling/dynamic-descaler.html

https://feedwater.co.uk/product/acid-cleaner-descaler-bundle/

duncan webster 1
            Participant
              @duncanwebster1

Both of those products contain hydrochloric acid

Zan
              Participant
                @zan

Thanks dc3 but they cost a bundle and I bet there’s a load of carriage as well.  . I’ll try b&q first!

if that doesn’t work I’ll try the brick cleaner. The scale deposit is thick when observed through the clack bush

DC31k
                Participant
                  @dc31k
                  On Zan Said:

…they cost a bundle…

You are missing the point in two ways.

First, download the instructions and MSDS for the commercial items. They do not cost money. They will tell you a lot about what is in the liquid and how to use it (duration of application, temperature, circulation and neutralisation requirements). That information will be of use to you when you come to use whatever witch’s brew you eventually choose.

Second, compare the cost of a known, commercial item that would not be sold if it did not work with the cost of replacing your boiler if you ruin it with a home made concoction pulled from the shelves of a DIY store (Kilrock 400ml £13.15 per litre B&Q; Heritage Steam £15.12 per litre assuming it is in the 10kg delivery band). As Duncan points out, both the copper-safe commercial products are hydrochloric acid-based (sulphamic acid is one of the alternative options). Specifically, they are not sulphuric, acetic or citric-based so that can guide your choice of an alternative product.

Harry Wilkes
                  Participant
                    @harrywilkes58467

Kettle descaler as suggested is what I use

H

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)