Roman Dodecahedron

Advert

Roman Dodecahedron

Home Forums The Tea Room Roman Dodecahedron

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

We had lots of fun with the Antikythera puzzle, but no real success

… so let’s try something simpler:

According to BBC News

A mysterious Roman artefact found during an amateur archaeological dig is going on public display in Lincolnshire for the first time.

The object is one of only 33 dodecahedrons ever found in Britain, and the first to have been discovered in the Midlands.

It was found in Norton Disney, near Lincoln, in the summer of 2023.

The artefact is also one of the largest ever found, measuring about 3.14in (8cm) tall and weighing 0.54lb (245g). …

MichaelG.

Edit: __ https://nortondisneyhag.org/?page_id=2406

Advert
      Martin Connelly
      Participant
        @martinconnelly55370

I have seen a number of these on various programmes and have failed to come up with anything that makes sense but could not be made with a simpler design. On the basis that the Roman Empire absorbed many gods and religions over the span of its existence my feeling tends towards something to do with one of these religions. The different sizes would not matter then, much like a statue, icon or picture can be scaled to suit available space or raw materials.

Martin C

Bo’sun
        Participant
          @bosun58570

Saw this on “Digging For Britain” a little while ago, and have been perplexed by it ever since.  What’s even more perplexing is that the experts are baffled by it.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

When in doubt, the experts tend to revert to ‘ritual’ as a explanation … but surely we can be more imaginative than that.

MichaelG.

My first thought was that it would be an excellent test-piece for a 3D Printer !

Nealeb
            Participant
              @nealeb

Sitting on my table at the moment is what might best be termed a “Rubik’s dodecahedron”. Maybe this Roman artefact was an early attempt at one?

Chris Crew
              Participant
                @chriscrew66644

It’s probably the Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch!

JA
                Participant
                  @ja

I saw it on “Digging for Britain” also.

Really it is a no-brainer. Surely it is a Roman bronze caster apprentice’s test piece. That is the final item one made as an apprentice to demonstrate your skill. It should get you a job anywhere in the Roman Empire.

JA

V8Eng
                  Participant
                    @v8eng

Put a long pole through it making a multi directional weapon guaranteed to put nasty wounds in somebody’s head.👹😉

David Millar 3
                    Participant
                      @davidmillar3

I’ve seen this object “identified” as being an aid for knitting gloves. Not sure how true that is!

David

Mick B1
                      Participant
                        @mickb1
                        On David Millar 3 Said:

I’ve seen this object “identified” as being an aid for knitting gloves. Not sure how true that is!

David

Don’t know the detail of how that would work, but I think that idea has a lot of credibility. Note the knobs at each corner of the pentagons, and remember the ‘French Knitting’ reels that kids – not wanting accusations of sexism, but in my youth usually girls – used to use to produce knitted woollen tubes. Those had a ring of pins around the through hole. Now consider how the different-sized holes might’ve been used to produce knitted ‘fingers’ for gloves to be fitted to hands of different sizes.

Looks plausible to me.

Fulmen
                        Participant
                          @fulmen

I think it’s the greatest practical joke ever.

Mick B1
                          Participant
                            @mickb1

Note there are some videos experimenting with its use – random example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOLqOgkWerg

Fulmen
                            Participant
                              @fulmen

As compelling as the knitting theory is, I’m sticking with the practical joke. That or a sex toy.

JA
                              Participant
                                @ja

I remember French knitting when a young kid. One used a wooden cotton reel with some pins, small nails not dress makers’ pins, hammered into one end. I did not understand what you did with the result.

JA

Frances IoM
                                Participant
                                  @francesiom58905

Edith Hall appearing on R4 just before 6pm news, though stating she would put a tea-light in it, suggested that it might be based on platonic theory that in which the universe was based on regular bodies, it might be a symbol of the universe – basing the idea on its appearance in the grave goods of some princess where it was used on the tip of a wand (rather like a sceptre ) to indicate a power over her subjects.

Bill Phinn
                                  Participant
                                    @billphinn90025

I suspect these dodecahedra were used in divination, or at least had some religious/astrological significance (think of the twelve lunar months and twelve signs of the Zodiac etc.).

In the following work by Jacomien Prins on the Renaissance writers Ficino and Patrizi, we find this passage:

“Finally, the dodecahedron is left for the heavens in their entirety because it has the same number of faces as the celestial zodiac has signs. It is envisaged as the most comprehensive of all regular solids, just as the heavens embrace all things.”

On the topic of the dodecahedron Prins also quotes Ficino, who is quoting Proclus, who is writing about Euclid:

“Duodecaedram (sic), quae duodecim facies habet, congruere putat mundo propter sphaeras duo­ decim, ac signa duodecim in Zodiaco.”

“He (Euclid, presumably) thinks that the dodecahedron, which has twelve faces, corresponds to the universe on account of (the) twelve spheres and twelve signs of the Zodiac.” (My translation).

Martin Kyte
                                    Participant
                                      @martinkyte99762

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Random number generator for a betting game is my best guess. Kind of multi sided dice.</p>
                                      regards Martin

David Ambrose
                                      Participant
                                        @davidambrose86182

To me it looks like a model of the Covid virus.

Grindstone Cowboy
                                        Participant
                                          @grindstonecowboy

+1 on the dice theory.

Rob

bernard towers
                                          Participant
                                            @bernardtowers37738

Some interesting vids on the tube on how to make using only a lathe!

mike T
                                            Participant
                                              @miket56243

It looks to me like an early Roman prototype of the Tupperware Shape Fitting Toy, we bought for our kiddies when they were younger.

shape

But I may be completely wrong

Mike

V8Eng
                                              Participant
                                                @v8eng

Apparently it is to be featured on the BBC News at ten tonight.

Nigel Graham 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @nigelgraham2

Edith Hall (cited by Frances, above) also considered the knitting-mould idea, and rejected another suggestion of it being a surveying instrument; but also explained one had been found on a sceptre in a very wealthy woman’s grave.

I thought that suggests it might simply have been ornamental!

I have made a hollow dodecahedron, from brass sheet, as a Christmas present for a girlfriend. It was a dodecahedron of two halves (sorry, couldn’t resist that…) held together by a central, internal column topped by an ornamental nut. Each upper half’s pentagonal side faces were drilled with a pentagonal pattern of small holes, and the object was meant as a pomander but Nina used it to stand ornamental dried grasses.

That was some 40-odd years ago…. If is still survives I wonder if in the distant future some archaeologist and comet’s-tail of on-line experts would be wondering what Act of Divination to which Deities had needed my dodecahedron. They’d probably be wrong. Nina was a Wiccan and they don’t use dodecahedra!

….

” We had lots of fun with the Antikythera puzzle, but no real success.”

Errr, Michael, the Antikythera (named after the island, not its unknown original name) is now generally regarded by them as are paid to know these things, having taken a nine-tonne medical scanner all the way to Greece to analyse it, as an astronomical calculator.

The device that gave us so much fun with no success at all, a few years ago now, was labelled “Copyright 1908” if I recall correctly, and the 16-times table; but bore no maker’s name, and we found no clear pattern to its curious numerical scales on concentric discs. (It may have had a name on some component or case that had long been lost.)

I followed some pretty arcane lines of hunch-led enquiry with no luck.

Remember?

Nicholas Farr
                                                  Participant
                                                    @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I think they had a Dodecahedron in the film Super Girl, not that I watched it for my own delight, it was on telly nearly 40 years ago when my young daughter then, came during my access for my two kids, can’t remember what the film was all about though.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      On Nigel Graham 2 Said:

….

” We had lots of fun with the Antikythera puzzle, but no real success.

Errr, Michael, the Antikythera …

[…]

I followed some pretty arcane lines of hunch-led enquiry with no luck.

Remember?

Nigel

I wrote what I intended

As her late Majesty said, in a different context:

Some recollections may vary

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)