UK Made Boilers

Advert

UK Made Boilers

Home Forums Traction engines UK Made Boilers

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    A Smith
    Participant
      @asmith78105
      Posted by Trevor Johnsson on 01/08/2023 09:30:46:

If the boilers are made to BS 2790 there is a requirement under Section 7.0 to provide drawings, documents, data sheets and test certificates. If these were provided the boilers may be accepted although limited to 700 bar operation. Both of the ASBSC codes for boiler limit the operating pressure to 700 bar..

Let's see, 700 x 14.504…………..

Advert
      Daedalus
      Participant
        @daedalus

I used to be a boiler surveyor for my sins, having spent the thick end of 15 years as an engineer at sea and almost the rest of my working life in brewing, and food and drink with boilers.

I used to do small boilers in coffee machines in the likes of Starbucks to the boilers at Ferry Bridge power station. They wanted me to do the heritage work on steam rail and traction engines as well. I took a long look at it and decided that I really didn't want to be involved, there are far too many enthusiastic amateurs around, who do their best, but it's really not enough. I could see that I’d inspect something and then be waking up in the middle of the night wondering what I’d missed.

As someone who likes to make sure a job is done not only correctly, but to a high standard of correctly, it was one of the reasons I left doing inspections.

Let the people who know exactly how to build boilers, build them and then use a company like British Engineering Services do the inspections. Keep them right and you won’t have a problem don’t and you will. The link below is to an article in the Daily Mail about a coffee boiler explosion.

Sainsbury Coffee Boiler

JasonB
          @jasonb

I believe the stamp on the boiler plate I showed is one of BES's smiley

Daedalus
          Participant
            @daedalus

JasonB,

I downloaded the photo and blew it up (unfortunate term of phrase considering the topic of the post), but couldn't read the plate. I left RSA or BES as it became after about a year of the de-merger from RSA. They do have some really good surveyors there, worked with some cracking lads. But the take over was funded by some sort of venture capital outfit and I could only see conditions getting worse than they were already getting. So went back into manufacturing, the 40% uplift in pay took the sting out of leaving.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)