QR codes

Advert

QR codes

Home Forums Model Engineer. QR codes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1
      Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1

If you been reading the articles in ME, but (like me) are too tight to pay for MS Word, this tells you how to do it in Libre Office. Dead easy, just did it and it worked straight out of the box

Edited By duncan webster on 21/04/2022 22:34:38

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

798cc40b-1a59-45d5-b9c2-95773f625f47.jpeg

Speedy Builder5
          Participant
            @speedybuilder5

Thats a very interesting link. Thanks for sharing it.

Robert

Mind you, I would be interested in trying to read these codes by eye. Many years ago, when we introduced warehouse scanners into the business, I could read certain bar codes by eye, but I wouldn't know where to start on a QR code.

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 22/04/2022 06:32:10:

Mind you, I would be interested in trying to read these codes by eye. Many years ago, when we introduced warehouse scanners into the business, I could read certain bar codes by eye, but I wouldn't know where to start on a QR code.

You may find this page interesting: **LINK**

QR Code and 2D Code Generator

It’s by the Developer who created the QRAFTER App that I used for my response to Duncan

MichaelG.

Swarf, Mostly!
              Participant
                @swarfmostly

Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 22/04/2022 06:32:10:

SNIP!

My first 'proper' job was working with a team supporting a large analogue ('analog' ? ) computer. One of the mathematicians could read 8-hole punched paper tape by eye. He used to sport a neatly furled umbrella – some of our colleagues filled his umbrella with chad!.

I belong to several groups of our local U3A including an IT-related group. As part of Covid 'track & trace', one of the 'Computer Gurus' was asked to select and buy a scanner to use on the bar-coded membership cards of attenders at face-to-face meetings. He told me that the scanner would also scan QR codes and that the User Instructions were a single A4 sheet bearing several QR codes!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

John Haine
                Participant
                  @johnhaine32865
                  Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 22/04/2022 10:57:45:

…..One of the mathematicians could read 8-hole punched paper tape by eye. He used to sport a neatly furled umbrella – some of our colleagues filled his umbrella with chad!.

….,

Swarf, Mostly!

I was chatting once to the Chief Engineer of a large UK electronics comany who started his career at EMI. He worked in a tiny office on the top floor of the research department programming an early computer using punched tape. Always had a problem with the chads as they wouldn't provide a wastepaper basket, so he resorted to emptying them out of the window. This solved the problem until he was called into a senior manager's office of the records division (which made all EMI's money) – on his desk was an LP record with lots of tiny bits of paper embedded in the vinyl. Turned out there was no filtration on the cooling air intakes of the record pressing line… The great days of UK technology.

Bazyle
                  Participant
                    @bazyle

My father could read punched telex tapes. It is just pattern recognition so you could learn it – we just happen to have learned the squiggles we call written English. Arabic, Korean, Chinese just completely different squiggles. Like reading Morse code by sound or vision.

I would be possible to bring up a child so they thought verbal communication was done in Morse code and reading was barcode or QR code.

One thought is how long the standard will persist in our rapidly changing digital world. Will these go the same way as VHS tapes and be a problem to read in ten years? NFC tags are an alternative.

Speedy Builder5
                    Participant
                      @speedybuilder5

Ah, those were the days, 5 hole tape, 8 hole tape, sticky patches to correct miss punched tape, Friden Flexowriters, Teletype ASR 33s. Would you believe that some of the early Concord(e) wind tunnel results were run through Pegasus analogue computers and the 5 hole output paper tapes read by eye and then plotted on graph paper for the Aerodynamics Office.

Oh,  and those punched chads – we used them as confetti and they got everywhere !

Anyone remember the foot ball results coming through on a Saturday afternoon … Tac tac tee tac as each letter arrived at the teleprinter – Oh such excitement !

Thanks Michael, I will have a read of that link later.

Bob

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 22/04/2022 16:00:00

KWIL
                      Participant
                        @kwil

John,

Re EMI quote.

The wind must have been blowing very hard, that's a distance of at least 200+ M, even if the source was on top floor and the record press plant was at ground level two roads away.

Harry Wilkes
                        Participant
                          @harrywilkes58467

Duncan you posted this just at the right time for me thanks

H

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)