JansJo Type LED Workshop Lamp

Advert

JansJo Type LED Workshop Lamp

Home Forums General Questions JansJo Type LED Workshop Lamp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greensands
    Participant
      @greensands

I am interested in getting a Jansjo type clamp LED lamp as featured in MEW No.337 (Page 60) which is claimed to be available from IKEA but enquiries would indicate that it is no longer listed on their website. A 360deg flexible alternative lamp is available from ebay at a mere £5.99 including postage which seems to good to be true. Can anyone advise on the matter?

Advert
      Mike Hurley
      Participant
        @mikehurley60381

Over the years, I’ve wasted a fair bit of cash buying these ‘domestic’ lamps only to find them unsuitable, as they are not designed for what I was buying them for. Often the lamps are not very rugged, wiring a bit lightweight and everything a little prone to being easily damaged by flying metal, dwarf or accidental contact with spanners etc.

I eventually bought a proper low voltage led worklight from Warco* and it is rugged, heavily built and very adaptable. It casts a very good beam and I’m more than happy with it. OK it costs a fair bit more than the cheap domestic lamps, but I personally think well worth it in the long run.

* Same / similar sold by other retailers

Andy Stopford
        Participant
          @andystopford50521

I’ve got one of these – it’s not bad. Not a proper machine light – the area covered is small, but it’s handy to position right up close to the milling machine cutter for working on very small parts. The light is rather yellow, but it doesn’t seem to show any stroboscopic tendencies. Well worth it for the price, but view it as an accessory, not a complete lighting solution.

Roderick Jenkins
          Participant
            @roderickjenkins93242

Jansjo seems to have been replaced by Navlinge:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/naevlinge-series-45239/

Rod

JasonB
              @jasonb

I’ve a couple of the ebay clones and they have worked fine for 5 or 6 years and are a lot more versatile than the purpose made vertex I have on the X3. Easy to get them to point where needed and can be moved about the workshop depending on what you are working on.

John Haine
              Participant
                @johnhaine32865

The Jansjo type are very useful but the in-lead switch is not very robust (or wasn’t maybe in early models).  It didn’t have a snap toggle action and the contacts were prone to failing.  Both the ones I have I bought “proper” switches and they have worked fine.  Failure possibly because the switch was in the low-voltage DC supply from the wall-wart driver.  Might be worth checking the replacement model.

Harry Wilkes
                Participant
                  @harrywilkes58467

I’ve had a Jansjo light fitted on my Myford S7 for around 5 years and I find it very useful to be able to get it where you want it and it stay’s there. I don’t use the in line switch I have it wired so it comes on along with my DRO when I power the lathe up, it’s had it’s knocks and so far survived them.

H

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)