How to make a Morse Taper

Advert

How to make a Morse Taper

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling How to make a Morse Taper

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

The first five minutes reminded me of Rolf Harris when he was still acceptable:

” Can you tell what it is, yet ? “

MichaelG.

Nigel Graham 2
        Participant
          @nigelgraham2

Thank you for that, Vic.

Very nice too!

I wonder if that was made by the lathe manufacturers on one of their demonstration machines, but it was a very good lesson in how to turn such an awkward taper from the compound-slide. On a large lathe in tip-top condition of course – it would be a real struggle on an old, rather worn machines like mine.

I do like that DTI holder, so simple to make but so effective. I wonder where you buy those saws? It did not look like a conventional slitting-saw but it was obviously right for the job.

He used the standard ball tip to contact the template centre. I have seen advice to use an “elephant’s foot” (disc) probe in such situations. However, he was careful to show that he set to the probe to exact centre-height.

A very clear and concise video too, because there were no distractions or clutter.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

https://www.axel-gl.com/en/asone/g/TR61-2566-46/

MichaelG.

Edit:__ SwapLamp currently has 69 videos on YouTube … I think I could learn a lot

https://www.youtube.com/@SwaplampJapan/videos

Thanks, Vic

Vic
            Participant
              @vic

Yes, I subscribed to the channel a few days ago. Lots of good stuff. I just thought the Morse taper one could be handy for folks on here. It’s not something I would have attempted before but it is now if I need a special.

Chris Mate
              Participant
                @chrismate31303

I recently   cut an inside MT4 by also tracing it with the topslide set angle from a known MT4 for Boring Head tool.
                My two biggest problems were the boring bar reach/lenght/thickness without chatter/noise and the topslide travel range, luckily I added lockscrews to the topslide to make it more stable through the travel range after getting the lathe.
                -So I made a boring bar using drillrod & an incert received that did not chatter and made it to always used at full stickout, other than boring bars are usually used.
                -The travel of the topslide just made it to last 3/4 of travel.
                -The MT4 cut fit well afterwards, no problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)