Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Advert

Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Home Forums Website Announcements Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb
      Posted by Andrew Johnston on 24/08/2023 11:33:15:

So does that mean that my albums will disappear and I will need to upload all the photos again?

Andrew

They will not be "lost" from any postings that you have previously inserted them into so all old threads will be just as easy to follow unlike say one with old Photobucket images that are now watermarked or simply not available.

What it will mean is that you can't say look at my ****** album to someone asking for images of how to cut a gear. Unless you upload the same images again into a new "gallery" as it will be know. .

Also if you want to post say that image of your big mill and rotary table cutting gears it will need to be taken direct from your PC and dropped into that new post. which would be no more effort than finding it in a forum album and posting from there as you do now. Images no longer have to be hosted in an album here or a third party site like Photobucket and I think other image file types other than JPG will also work (need to try that)

The new method will be no different to what you would have to have done on say MEM or HMEM when you attach an image. Infact it will be better as the image can be placed within the text not just at the bottom and can also be resized on the screen.

The main thing is that if you have images in an album here and may want to post them again then it would be wise to copy them if you don't already have them saved elsewhere. Even then a bit of searching around the new forum will find the images in posts that have been carried over and you could copy and past the url from there but that will be a bit of a faff.

Edited By JasonB on 24/08/2023 13:16:38

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

One other thing Avatar images won't carry over so you will have to enter a new one.

Howard Lewis
        Participant
          @howardlewis46836

So, after the changeover, all images, presently in Albums, (Having been copied / retained on our Pcs, etc ) will, need to be inserted into new Albums, if they are to be accessible to anyone wanting to view them?

Howard

Ches Green UK
          Participant
            @chesgreenuk

I think Copying and Pasting an image directly into a Post will be much easier than creating Albums, if I understand the process correctly.

It could also lead to Posts having a few more images in them to help explain what the gist of the Post is, which can't be a bad thing.

Will there be any Editing of the image upon insertion eg double clicking the image brings up options to reduce the size of the image, or even brighten/darken the image? Apologies if this has been explained earlier.

Ches

JasonB
              @jasonb

Howard,

As said they will still be available to view in old threads threads

What you won't be able to do is post a reply such as "have a look in my albums to see my ctr height gauge" as the album will no longer be there. If you now want to do that sort of thing then you would need to create a new "gallery" and put those 5 ctr ht gauge images into that.

Neil was erring towards not having any galleries but I think it is useful as we often see people being directed to an album so at the moment we will have them.

Ches

We have only had about a day to find our way around, I don't think there will be many options to edit but resizing is possible as the inserted image has the common border and corners around it that can be moved with a mouse.

Ches Green UK
              Participant
                @chesgreenuk

but resizing is possible as the inserted image has the common border and corners

That's probably the most useful Edit feature to have. Thanks.

Ches

JasonB
                  @jasonb

They also come up a lot largersmiley

Just been looking and there is an edit tab but does not seem to work to have reported that to the back room boffins.

.PNG file scan also be inserted

Can't see a rotate but hopefully the new software will take care of that better than it does now, that's something else to try

Joseph Noci 1
                  Participant
                    @josephnoci1

Can I copy an entire album to my PC? Or can I only copy/download photos already embedded in posts?

Sorry if this has been covered – I cannot find it in the confusion…

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Looks like the new forum knows what is up and what's down, this image displays the right way up on the new forum, it was taken with phone upside down ( button on left)

20230825_093148.jpg

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Joe, someone did post a program in Python that should do it in one go from an album but it does need a few tweaks, Sillyoldduffer may be able to help.

Circlip
                        Participant
                          @circlip

And of corse there will be post # numbers to save posting the full up to half page "Re posting" replies? and the introduction of spline chunk to allow us to be better spelists?

Regards Ian.

John Haine
                          Participant
                            @johnhaine32865

Jason, you mention png but I trust that other file formats will teh supported for attachments? Every other forum I use allows a range, and for us in particular pdf, xls, txt, would be very useful. That would also allow for example software in .txt format (to share useful programs) to be attached.

dhendley
                            Keymaster
                              @dhendley
                              Posted by John Haine on 25/08/2023 09:48:35:

Jason, you mention png but I trust that other file formats will teh supported for attachments? Every other forum I use allows a range, and for us in particular pdf, xls, txt, would be very useful. That would also allow for example software in .txt format (to share useful programs) to be attached.

Hi John, we'll try to add as many formats as you need. If something won't upload, let me know and we can put an exception in to allow it.

Ady1
                              Participant
                                @ady1

I would hope that our "amazing new upgrade to modern software"

would at least include the ability to upload pdfs

Is our amazing new upgrade actually going to do anything useful for us?

I realise its happening anyway and what will be will be.

Aha. A crossed post.

Yes stuff like txt and pdf would be a major upgrade for passing information over

Edited By Ady1 on 25/08/2023 10:01:11

JasonB
                                  @jasonb

All replies have individual numbers, url of which can be copied and pasted as a link to take someone straight to a post (now called reply)

One of the first things I raised when I started testing was a need for attachments, in fact raised it months ago when we we shown what we would possibly get.

I think it was covered in an earlier thread or maybe this one. I'd also like to see DWG, DXF, STP, STL

Ady1
                                  Participant
                                    @ady1
                                    Posted by JasonB on 25/08/2023 10:00:47:

One of the first things I raised when I started testing was a need for attachments, in fact raised it months ago when we we shown what we would possibly get.

I think it was covered in an earlier thread or maybe this one. I'd also like to see DWG, DXF, STP, STL

I hope they've got a big fat hard drive, this could get interesting

Photos can easily be dumped into a pdf file as a group album, I did all my family albums a few years back

(Don't worry I'm not uploading those ones!)

Edited By Ady1 on 25/08/2023 10:12:07

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

Plenty of free to use model engineering forums allow them so hopefully there will be enough funds here.

Andrew Johnston
                                      Participant
                                        @andrewjohnston13878

Posted by JasonB on 24/08/2023 13:10:33:

What it will mean is that you can't say look at my ****** album to someone asking for images of how to cut a gear. Unless you upload the same images again into a new "gallery" as it will be know. .

Also if you want to post say that image of your big mill and rotary table cutting gears it will need to be taken direct from your PC and dropped into that new post….

Thanks for the explanation. I have the originals of most of my photos, so I'm not worried about my albums disappearing. I doubt I'll bother creating galleries, time is precious and there are many other things to do.

Andrew

Joseph Noci 1
                                        Participant
                                          @josephnoci1
                                          Posted by JasonB on 25/08/2023 09:47:33:

Joe, someone did post a program in Python that should do it in one go from an album but it does need a few tweaks, Sillyoldduffer may be able to help.

Thank You.

David Jupp
                                          Participant
                                            @davidjupp51506
                                            Posted by JasonB on 25/08/2023 10:00:47:

Jason, if having STP can the variant STEP also be allowed? – both are used. Allowing both might be simpler than expecting people to edit the file extension.

Ian P
                                            Participant
                                              @ianp

Might be a bit late in the day to say it, but how do I read the 'Post on page 5'?

If it is not now relevant maybe just change the thread title.

Ian P

JA
                                              Participant
                                                @ja

I have read all the recent postings and am happy with what is going to happen. My major problem is chosing an Avatar.

My question: When is this going to happen?

JA

JasonB
                                                  @jasonb

Ian, along the top of the first post on this page and along the bottom you will see 1-2-3—7, simply click 5 to be taken to page 5 when I started posting yesterday.

Edited By JasonB on 25/08/2023 13:13:09

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

Aim is about a months time but don't hold your breath it was originally going to be April (not the 1st) when this thread was started

JasonB
                                                      @jasonb

Don't get your hopes up about Galleries just found a major problem thumbs down, hope it will be fixed

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 148 total)