Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Advert

Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Home Forums Website Announcements Forum Platform Changes – PLEASE READ

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    John Haine
    Participant
      @johnhaine32865

.nc (though these are text files. Used for g-code.)

.docx (Word)

.xls (Excel)

.xlsx (Excel)

.ppt

.pptx

.zip

.7z (7-zip, open source alternative to Winzip)

.py (Python code)

Advert
      Howard Lewis
      Participant
        @howardlewis46836

Am I correct to assume that the new Forum will look very much the same as now, but work better by allowing access from more systems for pictures, text and spreadsheets?

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 16/03/2023 09:03:15

Journeyman
        Participant
          @journeyman

Should include the Open Document file types as well:

• .odt and .fodt for word processing (text) documents
          • .ods and .fods for spreadsheets
          • .odp and .fodp for presentations
          • .odg and .fodg for graphics
          • .odf for formula, mathematical equations

Keep us Linux users happy

John

Edited By Journeyman on 16/03/2023 09:30:55

JasonB
            @jasonb

Howard, the look will very much depend on how Darren and the back room boys are able to configure things and will likely need some tweaking, from the couple of other forums I've seen using what is likely to be used here this site is a lot easier on the eye but quite a lot of that is really just down to colours and fonts rather than the platform.

It will allow for attachment of quite a few different file formats, There were several points I raised wit Darren and I'm sure there will be more to come but mostly he has been able to give the answers that I'm sure forum members want to hear based on the long thread we had a while back.

Edited By JasonB on 16/03/2023 09:41:10

SillyOldDuffer
              @sillyoldduffer
              Posted by Darren H on 16/03/2023 07:34:06:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/03/2023 07:29:55:

Will the new platform have the option for us to upload files other than jpeg question

MichaelG.

It will, yes. It would be useful if you could list the type of files required (extension letters).

Adding the ability for the forum to upload and download different file types such as program source code will be a major step forward.

A related requirement if I may ask for it, is for the forum to display program source in posts without mangling the indentation! (By default HTML strips leading white space.) Be extra good if the post editor supported <pre><code> insertion by the user.

Dave

Dell
              Participant
                @dell

Hopefully I won’t have to login every time because that gets annoying even if I don’t close page and go to check something I still have to login again, other forms I am on I never have to.

Dell

JasonB
                  @jasonb

So far I've not been logged off of the ones I tried but then again I don't get logged off of this forum eithersmiley

Neil Wyatt
                    @neilwyatt
                    Posted by Bazyle on 15/03/2023 19:16:10:

Any chance of a pointer to a forum already using this software? The new version of HSM has a couple of annoying features which clearly show the software was developed by 12yr olds who didn't actually have enough brain cells to bother actually testing it..

There are a couple of options on the table. I'd rather not muddy the waters until we confirm which solution* is being used.

Neil

*I'm getting good at corporate speak

Neil Wyatt
                      @neilwyatt
                      Posted by DC31k on 15/03/2023 20:14:17:

Posted by JasonB on 15/03/2023 13:25:25:

Neil's suggestion of backing up is just belt and braces in case anything that someone really wants should go AWOL during the change over.

With reference to a very useful previous thread here entitled 'lathe design not keeping up', please advise how someone can do a backup from beyond the grave.

The suggestion of backup is really for anyone who has used the forum as a place to store their own photos rather than keeping their own copies.

We don't expect to lose photos en masse, but it would be a shame if anyone lost a particularly special image or set of images.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                        @neilwyatt
                        Posted by Dell on 16/03/2023 09:50:23:

Hopefully I won’t have to login every time because that gets annoying even if I don’t close page and go to check something I still have to login again, other forms I am on I never have to.

Dell

Check that you have cookies enabled for this site. The logging off issue that dogged the forum for years seems to have been solved for most users.

Neil

peak4
                        Participant
                          @peak4

Will the new platform have the option for us to upload files other than jpeg question

MichaelG.

It will, yes. It would be useful if you could list the type of files required (extension letters).

If files other than jpg are to be uploaded, and I certainly agree that it's a good thing, will there be an auto anti-virus/malware screening operating in the background?
                          I can see scope here for a problem, malicious or accidental, where a file available for download is infected with something.

Bill

Neil Wyatt
                            @neilwyatt
                            Posted by peak4 on 16/03/2023 12:07:40:

MichaelG.

If files other than jpg are to be uploaded, and I certainly agree that it's a good thing, will there be an auto anti-virus/malware screening operating in the background?
                            I can see scope here for a problem, malicious or accidental, where a file available for download is infected with something.

Bill

We might need to leave out .zip .tar .msi and obviously .exe as those are the most vulnerable.

Neil

Dell
                            Participant
                              @dell
                              Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/03/2023 11:28:46:

Dell

Check that you have cookies enabled for this site. The logging off issue that dogged the forum for years seems to have been solved for most users.

Neil

How do I check cookies are enabled ? I am on an iPad.

Dell

sods law didn’t have to login this time and I hadn’t been on here since this morning ????

Edited By Dell on 16/03/2023 15:29:12

John P
                              Participant
                                @johnp77052

off to hell in a hand cart.jpg

dhendley
                                Keymaster
                                  @dhendley
                                  Posted by Dell on 16/03/2023 15:27:30:

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/03/2023 11:28:46:

Dell

Neil

How do I check cookies are enabled ? I am on an iPad.

Dell

sods law didn’t have to login this time and I hadn’t been on here since this morning ????

Edited By Dell on 16/03/2023 15:29:12

Step 1: Go to Settings, then scroll down and select “Safari”.

Step 2: Scroll down to “Privacy & Security”.

Step 3: If “Block All Cookies” is ticked (green/white), click to allow cookies.

Step 4: Clear the browser cache (at the bottom of that page) and reopen the browser.

Dell
                                  Participant
                                    @dell

Block cookies not on but I have to login again on chrome, safari, and tried two others duck duck and another.

Dell

Grindstone Cowboy
                                    Participant
                                      @grindstonecowboy

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, ANY file that you download from the internet should be virus-checked. Although it isn't as common as .exe or.zip files, .jpgs can carry a virus / Trojan / malware so don't think you are immune.

Best (but not infallible) protection is having up-to-date security software on your machine monitoring downloads, and to keep up with operating system updates as well.

It's all about what level of risk is acceptable to you.

Just to keep this more on topic, I look forward to seeing the new forum software yes

Rob

SillyOldDuffer
                                        @sillyoldduffer
                                        Posted by Dell on 16/03/2023 16:03:12:

Block cookies not on but I have to login again on chrome, safari, and tried two others duck duck and another.

Dell

You would. The rules are probably something like this:

• On 'remember me' the server issues a cookie to the client.
                                        • The client stores the cookie, and uses it on the next session. If client and server match, no login required.
                                        • The client is one browser on one local account on one machine only. The client isn't the human, or his entire computer, or any of his other computers,
                                        • Using a different machine, a different login, or a different browser invalidates 'remember me' because whatever is sent doesn't match the cookie on the server.

As might be imagined, a server or browser that recognised any combination of cookies would be a massive security risk. It's roughly equivalent to putting up a sign on the front door revealing "The key hidden under the mat unlocks all my doors."

Possibly the first step is a malfunction that breaks the first cookie, and then the user confuses the issue by trying a rapid succession of alternatives, that perpetuate the problem.

A better strategy might be to turn 'remember me' off, and log in and off manually for a few weeks. If the problem is a mangled cookie, simply leaving it alone will eventually clear it.

If I was computer El-supremo at Morton's, I'd remove the 'remember me' feature. When I did computing for a living they were considered undesirable, partly because allowing it encourages bad security habits.

Mind you, we live at a time when government ministers are caught conducting official business on WhatsApp and no-one cares. Unless magic technology has been introduced, this is unacceptably incompetent and irresponsible. Any politician or civil servant using the internet in that way should be spending a lot more time with their family. On second thoughts, off with their heads!

Dave

Anthony Knights
                                        Participant
                                          @anthonyknights16741

Is there a way to save a complete album, or does one have to save each picture individually?

Georgineer
                                          Participant
                                            @georgineer

Will it FLASH be possible to FLICK suppreFLICKss the constant FLASH flickerFLICKing and flashing thatFLICK flashes and FLICK flickers all the FLAFLICKsh time on the FLASH new webFLICKERsite?

GeFLICKorge

Neil Wyatt
                                              @neilwyatt
                                              Posted by Georgineer on 19/03/2023 17:19:07:

Will it FLASH be possible to FLICK suppreFLICKss the constant FLASH flickerFLICKing and flashing thatFLICK flashes and FLICK flickers all the FLAFLICKsh time on the FLASH new webFLICKERsite?

GeFLICKorge

Had to adjust my glasses there…

'Well behaved' internet ads are supposed to stop changing after a delay.

@Darren is it possible to implement that rather than having constantly changing ads?

Neil

Sub Mandrel
                                              Participant
                                                @submandrel

Test post!

S.

Neil Wyatt
                                                  @neilwyatt

A reminder, anyone interested in being a Beta Tester, email me meweditor@mortons.co.uk.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                                    @neilwyatt

Bumping this to make sure people notice it!

Neil

Chuck Taper
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chucktaper

Just a thought on features and functions –

Creating a link to a specific post within a thread (rather than to the thread itself) might be a helpful feature.

Its utility would lie in the ability to compile a list of related items from across multiple threads.

As always others may disagree.

Regards.

Frank C.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 148 total)