Flexible Plane

Advert

Flexible Plane

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Flexible Plane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wingo
    Participant
      @wingo

Another item from the Son in Law’s inherited woodworking tools. It is a wood plane with a flexible sole so it can cut concave and convex curves. The flex is adjusted by the round knob / screw. The geared quadrants ensure from and back sections flex the same amount.

I have never seen one like this or any images over the years. It does not have any makers name on it that I can see.

Would it have any value in this day and age?

MichaelFlexiplane

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

That’s a little beauty, and sure to be of interest somewhere.

… hopefully Martin King will notice this Topic and give us the benefit of his wisdom.

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

The handle looks 20th century.

A long dead uncle started as an Apprentice Cooper, pity he’s not available to ask because almost everything in a barrel is shaved to a curve.   I can imagine him using something like that!  Boatbuilding and early aircraft also required lots of curvy wood.

Uncle’s apprenticeship didn’t last long, some beastly moderniser invented cast-Aluminium barrels just after he began,  so wooden barrels were only needed in limited numbers for special purposes like ageing Sherry and Whisky.

Dave

DC31k
          Participant
            @dc31k

Also known as a compass plane.

Information here should help to identify the manufacturer:

Circular Planes

Frank Gorse
            Participant
              @frankgorse

It looks identical to mine which was made by Stanley Rule&Level Co, not the same as Stanley tools who also made them.

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133
                Mark Easingwood
                Participant
                  @markeasingwood33578

Yes, it is a compass plane, probably more of a cabinet makers or joiners tool than a coopers. Both Record and Stanley made them, and probably older manufacturers such as Preston.

I have my Dads, which I think he aquired used, I think I used it once in my 40 odd years as a Joinery Manufacturer, not sure Dad used it much either. They are a nice tool, when you need one. I would imagine the value to be around £40-£100, depending on condition, maker and of course, how much the buyer wants or need it!

Mark.

Martin Connelly
                  Participant
                    @martinconnelly55370

These types of tool can be seen in some of the old films of the De Haviland Mosquito fuselage being built. They employed many cabinet makers to produce them in quantity.

Martin C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)