Oil Cans

Advert

Oil Cans

Home Forums General Questions Oil Cans

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Deaville
    Participant
      @daviddeaville66164

I have bought 4 different types of new oil cans recently all of which leak when just sitting there on the shelf, any recommendations for one that does its job with leaking on its own ?

Advert
      Tony Pratt 1
      Participant
        @tonypratt1

i’m interested in the answers forthcoming as it seems all cans these days leak oil everywhere. Are the £40 offerings really worth it over the £4 jobs?

Tony

AStroud
        Participant
          @astroud

I had the same issue and ended up making my own. O rings used to seal the top and bottom, the piston has a drain hole above it so any leakage past it drains back into reservoir. No more leaks, even when I use it to pressure lube.

20240326_143651

David Deaville
          Participant
            @daviddeaville66164

That looks good, I can’t believe you just can’t buy one though that doesn’t leak !

Thor 🇳🇴
            Participant
              @thor

Hi David,

Have you tried Reilang oil cans from: https://maccmodels.co.uk/product-category/reilang-oil-cans/

Thor

David Deaville
              Participant
                @daviddeaville66164

I have tried their Kennedy one, that’s very good at emptying itself overnight.

john fletcher 1
                Participant
                  @johnfletcher1

I have a couple of Reilang oil cans which I bought at an auto jumble sale and they are the only ones that don’t leak. i think they are now expensive, but so is oil. I use hydraulic fluid which can be bought from agricultural/dealer merchants, ship chandler and if you know a JCB driver then  who knows the price ? John

David Deaville
                  Participant
                    @daviddeaville66164

£30+ for a Reilang double pump can, I will have to try one of those then, gets expensive when you need 4 or 5 though but better than them leaking all over the place wasting oil.

ChrisLH
                    Participant
                      @chrislh

Mine leaks like nearly everybody else’s. What I’m not sure about is whether there is a leak in the can or if it’s just excess oil running down the outside of the spout which is inclined upwards from the can.

Nigel Graham 2
                      Participant
                        @nigelgraham2

The canister is a single-piece spinning or pressing so it cannot leak when standing upright all by itself!

Most of the “leak” is probably oil accumulated in the cap thread when the can is tilted in use, a little from around the pump rod, plus as you suggest some running down the outside of the spout.

Then when put back upright on the shelf, and they know no-one is looking, they let the oil in the cap ooze out and down the outside.

Howard Lewis
                        Participant
                          @howardlewis46836

Have had a Reilang can for may years. It replaced a Myford Oil Gun which lubricated everything within range, (whether it nneeded it or not!) including me.

In over 25 years, it has never leaked, and works in almost any position.

Relatively expensive, but you get what youn pay for!

My Wesco cans have no obvious leaks, but are always slightly oily, so it seeps from somewhere.

Howard

Bo’sun
                          Participant
                            @bosun58570

My Reilang oil can is OK but does leak a little.  But then again, it’s the less expensive model with a plastic reservoir.  The reservoir to mechanism seal appears a little crude (considering how good Reilang oil cans are supposed to be).  Perhaps the more expensive model is better thought out at 50% extra cost.

Kiwi Bloke
                            Participant
                              @kiwibloke62605

I think some of the ‘leaks’ may be the result of temperature fluctuations, with the air in the can expanding and forcing oil up the pick-up tube. The resevoir should have a small ‘breather’ hole.

Being reluctant to spend money, and liking simplicity, for years I’ve used cheap plastic dispenser bottles, whose nozzles aren’t connected to a pick-up tube in the oil – they have to be pointed nozzle-down. They have a ‘bellows-like’ lower body, so are convenient and easy to squeeze. Provided they are stored upright, only the residue of the drip-on-the-end-of-the-nose is a potential mess-maker, and it ‘sniffs’ when you let go, so not a real problem. These are fine for dropping oil where it’s needed, but, for pressure oiling, not much use. So cheap, you can have them scattered all over the place…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)