What grade of steel to make Tee nuts for a 6″ faceplate?

Advert

What grade of steel to make Tee nuts for a 6″ faceplate?

Home Forums Materials What grade of steel to make Tee nuts for a 6″ faceplate?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Neil Lickfold
    Participant
      @neillickfold44316

As an apprentice made my Tee Nuts from 4340. Lasted  over 40 years. Almost anything works, but the one day that one fails, it would have been well worth making them from a quality material and knowing that the Tee Nuts are not going to be the failing point. The Ali ones I have made , were from 7075. They have also lasted very well on my little faceplate and the Myford cross slide.

Advert
      Charles Lamont
      Participant
        @charleslamont71117

I had not even thought of T-nuts for the faceplate. I have made large, thick washers though, to use with ordinary nuts.

Not precisely on topic, I use belleville washers under the bolt heads. The spring in the washer allows you to apply enough clamping pressure to hold things in place but still be able to adjust the position of the work without everything falling off. Tighten fully when centered, obvs.

bernard towers
        Participant
          @bernardtowers37738

Nice idea that Charles a bit like the one of putting a piece of sponge between parallels to keep them against the vice jaws, all mkes set ups so much easier.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)