5″ Lion

5″ Lion

Home › Forums › General Questions › 5″ Lion

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #189721
    Eric Cox
    Participant
      @ericcox50497

      Two quick questions regarding the 5" Lion

      1 What is the diameter of the driving wheels

      2 Who supplies the castings.

      #23879
      Eric Cox
      Participant
        @ericcox50497
        #189735
        Eric Cox
        Participant
          @ericcox50497

          OK found what I was looking for.

          Can't believe the difference in plan prices, almost £30 difference between two suppliers.

          #189742
          Nigel Bennett
          Participant
            @nigelbennett69913

            I have always been a little concerned about LBSC's boiler design for Lion. Using a cast gunmetal firebox top is not the best way to do it, and neither is it prototypical. Metal defects in castings often occur, and using them as a pressure vessel invites problems. Yes, I know there have been many built, but I can't imaging the Australians, for example, passing the design as sound.

            The real Lion has a round-topped affair of fairly conventional construction, with the "haystack" effect merely cosmetic. I am sure it would be much easier to build like that, using copper sheet.

            Comments, anybody?

            #189771
            Neil Wyatt
            Moderator
              @neilwyatt

              Typical Australian boiler tube:

              Neil

              #189851
              Bob Youldon
              Participant
                @bobyouldon45599

                Hi Neil

                I could do with a couple of off cuts from that for a smokebox, I like a litte extra thickness as a rust allowance!

                Regards,

                Bob

                #189856
                duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1

                  Have any of those who slag off the Australian boiler code actually read it? I have, and have compared it to relevant British Standards. It is a well written document which compares well with BS, and is not over-conservative. Why we in UK do not have a similar document, or simply adopt the Australian one is a mystery to me.

                  #189865
                  Another JohnS
                  Participant
                    @anotherjohns
                    Why we in UK do not have a similar document, or simply adopt the Australian one is a mystery to me.

                    Over here (at least my main club here in Canada) use the Australian code as the authority when someone designs or modifies a boiler.

                    It is a well written document. My copy is an older one, the club boiler inspectors have newer versions, but my modification proposals have always met with approval.

                    John.

                    #189944
                    David Paterson 4
                    Participant
                      @davidpaterson4

                      I work in reasonably senior role in IT and have used the code (copper) with junior staff as an example of good tech writing.

                      i have built one boiler, a 3" vertical multi tube by drawing Harris from the code- one book each side of my drafting board. Very straight forward.

                      cant comment on the actual standards, the thicknesses all seem to be readily available from stock, seems like a good idea.

                      #189961
                      Eric Cox
                      Participant
                        @ericcox50497

                        "Why we in UK do not have a similar document, or simply adopt the Australian one is a mystery to me. "

                        In comparison where does the UK code fail.

                        #189969
                        AndyP
                        Participant
                          @andyp13730

                          The UK code only covers the testing of boilers and their conformance to the pressure vessels regulations from which we had been exempted anyway.

                          The Australian code is a wholly more practical document which contains most if not all the information necessary to build a boiler, joint design, material thickness, stay size and spacing etc.

                          In my opinion a classic example of the difference between our two cultures, one back covering set of rules and one "just do it" set of practical advice.

                          Andy

                          #189995
                          Neil Wyatt
                          Moderator
                            @neilwyatt

                            > In my opinion a classic example of the difference between our two cultures, one back covering set of rules and one "just do it" set of practical advice.

                            It is a cultural thing. I'm sure the Australian code encourages people to make their own boilers and helps them design them,but as I understand (I'm not going to buy a copy of something I am not going to use and I can't find it online) it is rather conservative in terms of materials and designs.

                            I think the difference reflects the UK obsession with 'over-regulation' – the 'nanny state' and 'elfin safety' etc. etc.

                            Another example is other country's laws on jay walking, when I can cross a 70mph dual carriageway with no questions asked.

                            Neil

                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                          Latest Replies

                          Home › Forums › General Questions › Topics

                          Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                          Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                          View full reply list.