0-1 Micrometers

0-1 Micrometers

Home › Forums › The Tea Room › 0-1 Micrometers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #35702
    Brian H
    Participant
      @brianh50089
      #443777
      Brian H
      Participant
        @brianh50089

        I don't very often use a micrometer these days, preferring the digital six inch rule otherwise known as a digital caliper but I was doing a job that required that little bit more accuracy and so went in one of my measuring instrument drawers for a 0 to 1 mic.

        I realised that I have 4 very different ones to choose from and wondered if others might be interested.

        The picture shows, at the top, my first mic, a normal sized but elderly Brown & Sharpe.

        Below that is my first mic, another Brown & Sharpe but much bigger and heavier.

        Next is a quite modern TESA which is the one I normally use and finally, a GKN Shardlow digital but it's a mechanical digital and not an electronic one.

        Brian

        0-1 Mics

        #443784
        old mart
        Participant
          @oldmart

          If I could choose, it would be the Tesa.

          #443785
          Chris Evans 6
          Participant
            @chrisevans6

            I have around 4 or 5 if I include the 0 to .5 Just bought a new 0 to 1 because the older ones, some I have had for 55 + years are getting harder to read. Until I got the new one my go to was a Mitutoyo I bought around 1970. Maybe when they where first imported ? All the old hands told me I was wasting money because it would not last.

            #443788
            old mart
            Participant
              @oldmart

              We were left an 0-1" Mitutoyo mic in a legacy, it is one of their early ones, in a tiny box with a picture of their Tokyo factory inside. The early ones have slotted screws for the lock and ratchet.

              #443797
              not done it yet
              Participant
                @notdoneityet

                Any one that reads zero when closed and is accurate when checked with a test piece at the 1” size?

                Lucky you, to have the choice of some decent examples.

                I would more than likely choose the 0-25mm one, but all to their preferred system.smiley I’m not even sure if I have an analogue metric micrometer of that range, so it might be the really too-precise mitutoyo digi, that tends to eat the cell if it is left in.

                #443803
                Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133
                  Posted by not done it yet on 29/12/2019 20:30:26:

                  Any one that reads zero when closed and is accurate when checked with a test piece at the 1” size?

                  Lucky you, to have the choice of some decent examples.

                  I would more than likely choose the 0-25mm one …

                  .

                  … which would fail your first test devil

                  #443811
                  Oldiron
                  Participant
                    @oldiron

                    Nice selection. I used to have a GKN Shardlow like the bottom one. I was gutted when it disappeared from my bench one day at work. Was always nice to use and accurate.

                    regards

                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                  Latest Replies

                  Home › Forums › The Tea Room › Topics

                  Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                  Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                  View full reply list.