Wood pyrography

Advert

Wood pyrography

Home Forums Workshop Techniques Wood pyrography

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 May 2024 at 20:59 by Andrew Skinner.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Speedy Builder5
    Participant
      @speedybuilder5

I saw some very interesting wood pyrography at the weekend.

Basically chunks of sanded wood were “painted” with several coats of a concentrated solution of Bicarbonate of Soda with the final coat left wet.

Two rounded end 4mm diameter steel “electrodes” held by insulated welding torch handles were placed at either side of the piece of wood and (Wot the bloke said) 2000volts from a 240v to 2000volt transformer supplied to the handles.

The current arced between the electrodes creating “lightning forks” between them and forming burn marks on the wood.  With a bit of jiggling about, some very interesting art work is produced. The arc was controlled On/Off by a foot switch.

Once the pattern is finished, the bi carb is washed off and when dried, varnished.

The transformer was about 3 inch cube (best specification I could see!!).

Anyone seen this sort of thing, what is it called and what sort of transformer would one use.

Ps – Don’t try this at home – however, there was no safety barrier between the “operator” and the general public.

Bob

Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1

We used a wood pyrometer when remetalling white metal bearings. Heat up the brass until when you spit on it it spits back, and heat the liquid white metal until a pine spill dipped in chars. Then pour the metal into the brass

Dalboy
        Participant
          @dalboy

It is called fractal burning or Lichtenberg burning. The power supply/transformer is quite often from a microwave oven.

There have been a number of reported deaths from these units and many forums here in the UK will not allow discussions or the showing of work as they do not want to promote the use of them because of the dangers

Peter Cook 6
          Participant
            @petercook6
            Speedy Builder5
            Participant
              @speedybuilder5

It did look a bit like Frankenstein’s work bench !

noel shelley
              Participant
                @noelshelley55608

An easy way to kill yourself – a good way to get an honourable mention in the Darwin Awards ! Hope Hopper was right that The Good Lord looks after Drunks and fools. Noel.

Howard Lewis
                Participant
                  @howardlewis46836

Not sure that I would want to be a short distance from mains fed items at 2,000 volts, even if AC!  (Have survided shocks from 240 volt mains,- on a 5,000 volt proof floor;  Petrol engine ignition systems, and the flyback EHT for a 17″ catode ray tube) But would be pushing my luck with that set up.

Sounds like a short cut Fred Dibnah’s Afternoon with the Undertaker, and a meeting with St Peter.

The pre war mains fed EHT systems for early Televisions were lethal.

A grandson does pyrography, but he uses a form of electric soldering iron, so his risk is from getting burned.

Howard

Andrew Skinner
                  Participant
                    @andrewskinner94774

I did some a few years ago. Problem is, it’s interesting to build the machine to do it, and fun to make the patterns if you’re careful, but no-one likes the result. I can’t find a use for it.

With my machine, you don’t hold both electrodes like so many idiotic videos I’ve seen, just the one that is earth referenced. It’s also current-limited (to prevent the wood setting on fire too quickly) with two fluo light ballasts on the primary side.

I won’t let anyone else use it. I think the number of deaths and horrific injuries from these is, at least partly, down to its attraction to arty-farty types who are not science-based and not naturally methodical and systematic. Like any potentially dangerous machine, you need just the right dose of fear when using it. That comes from knowing exactly what it could do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)