What did you do Today 2024

What did you do Today 2024

Home › Forums › The Tea Room › What did you do Today 2024

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 530 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #758336
    Nigel Graham 2
    Participant
      @nigelgraham2

      Not only complex mechanically. There was a heck of a lot of advanced maths in designing steam locomotives.

      .

      I’m presently overhauling a long-stored 7-1/4″ gauge loco, a freelanced, doubled version of LBSC’s Juliet design – but this evening finally carried out a minor repair on my Myford lathe!

      The Workshop Gremlins had long since spirited away the knob from the end of the half-nuts lever. By chance I found a spare spherical knob on a short rod – from what I don’t know – so I modified that to suit.

      That should make screw-cutting less painful. The bare end of the little lever is a bit sharp!

      .

      All I need do now is determine why it is frequently very difficult to engage the half-nuts, necessitating briskly bringing the handle up and waiting for the next number on the dial to amble round…..

      #758601
      Nicholas Farr
      Participant
        @nicholasfarr14254

        Hi, I needed four more T- Nuts for my tilting table, so today I decided to make some from a piece of 12mm thick flat black bar. After cleaning off the mill scale, I trued up all the four edges, and set it up in my vice, on my mini mill, then reduced the thickness down to 11mm, 20mm in on each side. I then mill the two outer edges and two channels, to a depth of 5mm, to form the part of the nut, that fits into the slots of the tilting table surface.

        T - Nuts 1

        When these were done, the piece of flat bar was long enough yo make six T-Nuts, and so I drilled and tapped six holes for 6mm threaded rod, and then hacksawed two slots in each side to produce my six nuts.

        T - Nuts 2

        Tomorrow. I will now be able to cut the nuts off the rest of the bar, in my band-saw.

        Regards Nick.

        #758683
        Diogenes
        Participant
          @diogenes

          Will you dedicate them to Cybele?..

          ..I looked out the window at about 9:30..

          Aurora101024

          #758725
          Robin
          Participant
            @robin
            #758821
            Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

              Hi Robin, they did need a little bit of fettling, but only to smooth them down a bit and to break the corners, as it was black bar I was using, but they all fitted nicely.

              T-T 1

              T-T 2

              Set-up ready for a bit of machining tomorrow.

              Regards Nick.

              #758857
              duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1
                #759020
                Nicholas Farr
                Participant
                  @nicholasfarr14254
                  #759769
                  Roderick Jenkins
                  Participant
                    @roderickjenkins93242

                    Just finished the Hemingway centring microscope.  Anodised using sodium bisulphate rather than sulphuric acid without problems.  Maintaining electrical contact during the process is a problem.  I learnt a couple of things:

                    1   Aluminium wire from Hobbycraft seems to have some sort of insulating coating on it which was removed easily with sandpaper.

                    2  Best continuous contact was achieved by drilling and tapping an unobtrusive hole in the item to be anodised and then screwing the wire into this hole.  The other end of the wire was best squashed with a screw in a busbar.  Check continuity before dunking.

                    Objective holder is brass and was coloured with Birchwood brass black.

                    Rod

                     

                    a centring microscope

                    #759820
                    bernard towers
                    Participant
                      @bernardtowers37738

                      roderick, try titanium welding wire it seems to work better.

                      #759830
                      Roderick Jenkins
                      Participant
                        @roderickjenkins93242

                        Bernard,

                        I had a look around on the internet for titanium wire but couldn’t see anything I thought suitable (or with a trustworthy description).  I hadn’t thought about welding wire so thanks for that – I’ve ordered a couple of lengths of 1mm.

                        Cheers,

                        Rod

                        #760063
                        Diogenes
                        Participant
                          @diogenes

                           

                          ..first time we have had proper daylight for a week – I see I have some touching in to do..IMG_2551

                          #760398
                          martin haysom
                          Participant
                            @martinhaysom48469

                            I don’t make models. but i want to make one of these

                            #760420
                            Diogenes
                            Participant
                              @diogenes

                              Yes, I wish mine were bigger..:-)

                               

                              Excellent, clear, detailed, and very complete drawings and build notes from here;

                              http://milfordboats.com/Naval%20Cannon/#Cannon_Plans

                              ..cost is about a tenner..

                              #760708
                              Nigel Graham 2
                              Participant
                                @nigelgraham2

                                With work on my steam-wagon temporarily on hold for this, I am near completing overhauling my 7-1/4″ g. version of LBSC’s Juliet.

                                It had stood unused for some years, and is accompanied by a driving-truck loosely based in appearance on a standard mineral wagon, and without water-tank.

                                So a lot of work to make the combination viable and ready for a boiler test, including temporarily borrowing the steam-wagon’s water tank first for an improvised test-set for preliminary hydraulic test, then fitted in the driving-truck to feed the loco’s injector.

                                Next phase, a preliminary steam-test to set the safety-valves and ensure all is working.

                                #761513
                                Diogenes
                                Participant
                                  @diogenes

                                  ..started getting ready for bed, then realised it was only half-past eight..

                                  #761574
                                  Robert Bowen-Cattry
                                  Participant
                                    @robertbowen-cattry70600

                                    I completed by first “proper” build this weekend, the basic Hemingway knurling tool.

                                     

                                    54099710170_6553203719_c54099507533_8e651344ab_c54098392582_fb1ebf084a_c

                                    Built per the plans (albeit in metric), other than I added a couple of cupped (rebated?) washers to the spring ends.

                                     

                                    MOD EDIT. Robert can you edit your post so that the images can be seen. You don’t need the IMG code at either end, just paste the url.

                                    #761658
                                    Bill Phinn
                                    Participant
                                      @billphinn90025

                                      Robert, I can’t view your work for the moment except via the sample photo Jason has posted in a thread started today by Ian P, but from that image I see you have used rather thicker knurls than the kit provided by Hemingway envisages will be used.

                                      This is not in itself a problem but it means that in slotting the arms to accommodate the knurls you have had to remove most of the 1/2” thickness from the centre of the arms. I wonder whether what you have left in the way of side support is going to be rigid enough to stop the knurls from flexing excessively as the knurls pass up or down a piece of work.

                                      #761739
                                      bernard towers
                                      Participant
                                        @bernardtowers37738

                                        images not viewable by me either on 3 different devices

                                        #761838
                                        Robert Bowen-Cattry
                                        Participant
                                          @robertbowen-cattry70600

                                          Sorry chaps, not posted pics here before. Lets try again.

                                           

                                          https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54099710170_6553203719_c.jpg

                                          https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54099507533_8e651344ab_c.jpg

                                          https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54098392582_fb1ebf084a_c.jpg

                                          Bill, I was also concerned about this, so added a 2mm washer to either side of either knurl. It give me a little less travel toward the chuck, but the test piece I tried seems OK.

                                          #761856
                                          Robert Bowen-Cattry
                                          Participant
                                            @robertbowen-cattry70600

                                            Think I’ve got it now.

                                            PXL_20241027_160925021PXL_20241027_160946434PXL_20241027_162135632.MP

                                            #761869
                                            Bill Phinn
                                            Participant
                                              @billphinn90025

                                              Thanks for reposting the images, Robert.

                                              I think you’ve got very creditable results there on steel. Well done!

                                              I started making this kit myself over a year ago, but haven’t found time to complete it yet.

                                              I was thinking that if I use the 1/4” thick knurls I’ve got I might use slightly thicker stock for the arms and spacer.

                                              #761880
                                              bernard towers
                                              Participant
                                                @bernardtowers37738

                                                I noticed the thicker knurls as well, the original marlco knurler used thin knurls for a reason possibly less  strain on the machine and easier to traverse although the knurl looks good from the photo

                                                #761896
                                                Dalboy
                                                Participant
                                                  @dalboy

                                                  Back playing with wood for a couple of days. No, not logs for woodturning, but rather for a log burner as a Christmas present for one of the family. Finished with oil still wet in the photo.

                                                  log storage (2)log storage (4)log storage (5)log storage (6)log storage (7)

                                                  #761917
                                                  Craig Brown
                                                  Participant
                                                    @craigbrown60096

                                                    When I built the Hemingway Knurling tool, I increased the dimensions of the required parts to allow me to fit the more commonly available knurls. I only have one picture currently but I always have good success with the tool

                                                     

                                                    20240915_115635

                                                    #762011
                                                    Robert Bowen-Cattry
                                                    Participant
                                                      @robertbowen-cattry70600

                                                      In my case, I wanted to use the knurls from a previously purchased knurling tool, though stupidly I didn’t measure the knurls until I was ready to slot the arms. Still, a lesson learned, plan better in the future. 🙂

                                                      Rather than scrap the parts or buy new knurls I decided to push on and use what I had. The wheels are ~9.5mm, and the arms 12.5mm, so I was left with 1.5mm either side. I did think this looked too thin so made up some outer washers at 2mm each to hopefully give some additional support. The pins are drilled and tapped straight through.

                                                      Only time will tell if this works, worst case scenario I will have to remake the arms, but at least I have learned something from my mistake.

                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 530 total)
                                                    • The topic ‘What did you do Today 2024’ is closed to new replies.

                                                    Latest Replies

                                                    Home › Forums › The Tea Room › Topics

                                                    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                                                    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                                                    View full reply list.