“life” of Tom Tom sat navs

Advert

“life” of Tom Tom sat navs

Home Forums The Tea Room “life” of Tom Tom sat navs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    KEITH BEAUMONT
    Participant
      @keithbeaumont45476

I have two Tom Tom sat navs, both now 11years old, When purchased they came with lifetime map updates for each and until recently this has worked fine, twice a year. Normaly I get a notification that an update is available and then plug it into my PC and it updates with latest maps.

This week I got the usual notification,so plugged in as per usual.  After about 30 seconds of the down load,an overlay screen appeared,saying I need to download a new Download programme, press OK to continue. This I did. When it had finished loading, I went back to the update page and although the updates are shown, it will not go any further. Everything is greyed out. The help page comes up. asks for my 12 digit number, but putting it in does nothing. I have spent several hours playing with this without success and have now come to the conclusion that this is probably Tom Toms method of ending “life” support. Google shows a Service Centre in Ipswitch, but the phone No is not recognised

Any thoughts on this?

Keith.

Advert
      Mick B1
      Participant
        @mickb1

TomTom did something like that to me years ago. I carried on using it for a time until I followed a newly-opened road link somewhere in Northumberland and TomTom’s screen showed me moving over blank virgin green space for about 10 minutes.
        I’ve just used Google maps on my smartphone ever since. No fuss.

John Haine
        Participant
          @johnhaine32865

Like Mick, I see no reason to use dedicated satnavs now, Google is far superior and always up to date.

Nicholas Farr
          Participant
            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, the lifetime updates are for the life of the Sat-Nav, you would have to read what Tom Tom regards as its lifetime though, my Garmin one has several reasons as to when the lifetime ends, one of which, is, it has to be updated whenever updates are available, so if I don’t update mine within a certain period when updates become available, it is automatically designated that it has reached the end of its life, regardless whether or not, that it is in working order. I think another reason is if generally, if the number of my particular model falls in demand overall of these updates, then this model will have reached the end of its life. Probably one other reason is probably as they get older, they cannot be updated with newer tech. My Garmin is about 6-1/2 years old, but as a lot of people use their phones these days, mine may well not have many more years before updates are no longer available for it. I had a Nav-Man one for many years before I got my current Garmin, but that didn’t have updates without paying a premium price for them, but that ended with its own end of life, when the screen went a bit crazy, and then just went blank, and when I had no real clue where I was, or which direction I had to go to reach my destination, and so I had to stop somewhere safe and prop  up my phone and use that yo get where I was heading for, and then return home. Personally, I prefer a Sat-Nav to a phone.

Regards Nick.

Howi
            Participant
              @howi

sat nav’s are a thing of the past, smart phones with google maps or other similar programs, connected to the cars in built display screen, everthing up to date and no issues.

Accurate up to date info on road works and trafic conditions.

Come on people, you know you want to!!!!

noel shelley
              Participant
                @noelshelley55608

Forgive my ignorance but are they not all sat navs ? Does a phone still work as a satnav if there is no phone signal ? Does a phone still map read when it cannot get a sat nave signal ? Does a phone use satellite 120 for a better fix ? Noel.

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

My TomTom ‘Start 60’ now has a failing battery, but otherwise works fine, and still receives free map-updates.

What really irritates me though, is that I am frequently pestered by TomTom eMails suggesting that it is time to buy a newer device.

… The cynic in me is sure that they just want a way to make me pay for future map-updates.

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer
                    @sillyoldduffer

I suspect a problem with the PC – how old is it, and what operating system and version is it running?

That the PC connected to TomTom on the internet and downloaded new maps OK, strongly suggests TomTom haven’t pulled the plug.  But it also updated the ‘download to phone program’, which hangs.  Something’s wrong.

There are a myriad of things that could cause that, especially if the PC and its software are out-of-date.   (Could be the PC has hit an ‘end of life’ problem, rather than Tom Tom!)   Is another PC available?

Other possibilities:

• Bad cable connecting TomTom to PC.  (Try a different cable, and be aware it may have to be a TomTom cable; I recall some SatNavs required a proprietary USB cable, modified internally with a resistor, so that standard USB cables won’t connect.)
                    • Antivirus blocking the new download to phone program, may need to be given permission.  (Look at the AVM control panel. logs etc)
                    • A dialogue box is waiting for confirmation, but is hidden behind other windows open on screen. (Try minimising and moving the visible windows  to see if anything is underneath.)
                    • Operator Error.  (Check the instructions, which may have changed.   For example, when should the TomTom be connected; maybe only after the greyed out screen appears?)

Dave

John Haine
                    Participant
                      @johnhaine32865
                      On noel shelley Said:

Forgive my ignorance but are they not all sat navs ? Does a phone still work as a satnav if there is no phone signal ? Does a phone still map read when it cannot get a sat nave signal ? Does a phone use satellite 120 for a better fix ? Noel.

Yes, though most devices now can receive multiple constellations and use assistance data from the internet (via the phone connection).  The phone network itself gives rough location as well.  Yes, and Google can download the map for a route for use with spotty connections.  What is satellite 120?

KEITH BEAUMONT
                      Participant
                        @keithbeaumont45476

Dave, No problem with my PC. It is 3 years old.16 GB Ram ,64 bit, 1 Tbt SSD.

I have now found an anouncement from TOMTOM, undated, saying they  are to discontinue support of “Life ” map updates for older items that cannot handle more modern facilities. A long list contains both of my Sat Navs. They define “lifetime”as when they consider it has  reached the time they no longer support it. They note that in 2010, the  maps of Europe were1.6 GB and now are 6.5 GB. Both my units have only used 20% of installed memory, so  I cant see a problem there.

I think their method of cutting us off is very confusing and time wasting. If they can notify of an update,surely they can use the same system to say you are now not to receive any more updates.

Keith.

duncan webster 1
                        Participant
                          @duncanwebster1

I use Google maps on my Android phone, but it insists on taking the shortest route, which can sometimes mean narrow country lanes and back streets when there is a slightly longer main road route. I’ve tried to find how to swap from ‘shortest’ to ‘quickest’, which was what my old Garmin had, but no joy. Anyone know how to do it?

Grindstone Cowboy
                          Participant
                            @grindstonecowboy

Rather than Google maps, I use Waze – seems to do the job perfectly for me. Available from wherever you download your phone apps.

Rob

roy entwistle
                            Participant
                              @royentwistle24699

Quite a few sat navs including NHS don’t find my house which is on a main road. but end up down a side street. ThreeWords is the same.

Roy

Vic
                              Participant
                                @vic

Someone I know has a house name rather than a number. Our in car Satnav can’t find it. A separate Garmin can’t find it and nor can Google maps. Curiously Apple Maps can find it without any bother. Not all Satnavs or apps are equal it seems.

John Haine
                                Participant
                                  @johnhaine32865
                                  On Grindstone Cowboy Said:

Rather than Google maps, I use Waze – seems to do the job perfectly for me. Available from wherever you download your phone apps.

Rob

Interestingly Google acquired Waze in 2013! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze

Robert Atkinson 2
                                  Participant
                                    @robertatkinson2

Tom Tom only stop updates when the hardware can’t cope, normally memory limits. Mine has a micro SD card so not an issue.
                                    Unlike a phone “app” my Tom Tom does not tell Google / Samsung / Microsoft / whoever they sell data too where I travel. I have the GNSS receiver in my phone switched off normally.

I like a bit of redundancy, I even have a paper road atlas in the car. I’m travelling on business at the moment and it amazes me that some people rely on their “phone” for everthing. Navigation, boarding pass payments…..

noel shelley
                                    Participant
                                      @noelshelley55608

Hi John, All the satellites have numbers, shown on the screen as they are received and their signal strength Satellite number 120 is best described as a correction satellite. I use Furuno marine satnavs and adding reception of 120 improves the accuracy of the fix. Noel.

Howard Lewis
                                      Participant
                                        @howardlewis46836

My first Tom Tom refused to update after ten years, but eventually the plug  for tha lead failed.

After more than ten years, the replacemnr Start 20 would not update, regularly saying “Sevice not responding”

Afrer a lot of correspondence with Tom Tom which suggested downloading an update (To little effect)

I did ask of updates were not available for devices more than 10 years old. Eventually, I logged on, and Hurrah! it updated!

So fingers crossed for the future.

Howard

John Haine
                                        Participant
                                          @johnhaine32865
                                          On noel shelley Said:

Hi John, All the satellites have numbers, shown on the screen as they are received and their signal strength Satellite number 120 is best described as a correction satellite. I use Furuno marine satnavs and adding reception of 120 improves the accuracy of the fix. Noel.

Presumably broadcasting differential GPS data which is available through e.g. the internet.

Grindstone Cowboy
                                          Participant
                                            @grindstonecowboy
                                            On John Haine Said:

Interestingly Google acquired Waze in 2013! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze

I did not know that! Thanks John.

Rob

noel shelley
                                            Participant
                                              @noelshelley55608

John H, The 120 satellite, the system sends a signal to earth, any error is noted,sent back to 120, that is then sent back to earth. Telling the set to use/receive 120 does the rest – NO internet Etc. That at least is my understanding ! Noel.

John Haine
                                              Participant
                                                @johnhaine32865

Probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Geostationary_Navigation_Overlay_Service

My u-blox 8 module receives and uses this if enabled.  Actually there is a network of ground stations at precisely known positions that receive the GNSS signals, work out the errors, and send correction signals up to geostationary satellites working in the GPS band with enough power to be received on a conventional GPS receiver.  I would guess that similar services are available in other territories.

Nealeb
                                                Participant
                                                  @nealeb

Satellite differential has been around for quite a while now, the difference being that, as mentioned, the SD “error” messages come from a geostationary satellite where the usual satnav signals come from satellites whizzing round in low-earth orbit. I suspect that the ability to make use of SD signals is built in to pretty well all the standard GPS modules/chips/whatever these days, along with the ability to receive Glonass/Galileo/whatever the Chinese system is called as well as the original GPS. Certainly today’s satnavs are capable of finding satellites and getting a position (“time to first fix” – TTFF) much faster than they used to. And with SD, much more accurate as well. More accurate than some of the mapping, in fact!

I have what is now a fairly elderly Garmin GPS on my motorbike where the on-board storage is now too small for today’s maps, although fortunately it can also use a memory card as well. Still, Garmin still seem to be providing updates for it.

John Doe 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @johndoe2

I use Apple maps, and my car has a very handy phoned-sized pull-out tray/drawer, on which the phone can rest at a near perfect viewing position whilst giving me navigation. I have even drilled a hole in the base of the tray so I can have the charging lead plugged-in while the phone is working.

I am still not sure though if it is illegal to use a phone as a SatNav while being the driver of the car ? Could one be fined and receive licence points for doing so ?

Oldiron
                                                    Participant
                                                      @oldiron
                                                      On John Doe 2 Said:

I use Apple maps, and my car has a very handy phoned-sized pull-out tray/drawer, on which the phone can rest at a near perfect viewing position whilst giving me navigation. I have even drilled a hole in the base of the tray so I can have the charging lead plugged-in while the phone is working.

I am still not sure though if it is illegal to use a phone as a SatNav while being the driver of the car ? Could one be fined and receive licence points for doing so ?

I was assured by a traffic policeman friend that if you set it up and turn on before you leave it is a satnav.  As long as you do not makes calls or texts while driving it is ok to use as a satnav. The same rules as phones apply ie do not touch or alter settings whilst driving.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)