Aircraft General Discussion

Advert

Aircraft General Discussion

Home Forums The Tea Room Aircraft General Discussion

• This topic has 1,985 replies, 205 voices, and was last updated 5 May 2024 at 20:56 by Andrew Johnston.
Viewing 11 posts - 1,976 through 1,986 (of 1,986 total)
  • Author
    noel shelley
    Participant
      @noelshelley55608

I'm lead to believe that NEW PYB Catalinas are being built ? Noel.

Advert
      Robert Atkinson 2
      Participant
        @robertatkinson2
        Andrew Johnston
        Participant
          @andrewjohnston13878

Busy day today! The usual Spitfires flying over, but an hour ago the Catalina rumbled past the bungalow at about a 1000ft. Shortly afterwards, as i was about to start cutting the front grass, the Lancaster flew over at 600ft, heading for Duxford.

Andrew

martin perman 1
          Participant
            @martinperman1

A spitfire from Shuttleworth was clearing the pipes out this morning and at 500ft as well as he circled our village.

Martin P

Martin Connelly
            Participant
              @martinconnelly55370

The only notable aircraft I have seen in the past few weeks is a powered glider. I think it was the same one on two different days but it could have been two just coincidently passing the same point a few days apart.

Martin C

Michael Horley
              Participant
                @michaelhorley72278
                Posted by Andrew Johnston on 17/08/2023 15:15:40:

Busy day today! The usual Spitfires flying over, but an hour ago the Catalina rumbled past the bungalow at about a 1000ft. Shortly afterwards, as i was about to start cutting the front grass, the Lancaster flew over at 600ft, heading for Duxford.

Andrew

My Sister sent me a message earlier to look out for the Catalina. She and her partner are heavily involved in it's upkeep. I am not far from lakenheath and the planes were buzzing about at the time so I didn't expect to see it.

DrDave
                Participant
                  @drdave

I visited the BBMF hanger at RAF Coningsby recently.  Well worth a visit.

IMG_4622

Martin Connelly
                  Participant
                    @martinconnelly55370

I was at Coningsby when the overhead heating was being installed in the hangars, the red piping that can be seen in your photo. This was not done for the comfort of the groundcrew but because it was beneficial to the aircraft and so overall cost of maintaining them dropped by more than the cost of the heating. When they were installing the heating in number 3 hangar we shared number 4 hanger (this one) with the BBMF as they had less aircraft in the eighties.

Our phantoms were in the far end and where this photo was taken from the Lancaster was up on jacks in flying position, that is with the wings not drooping due to gravity. It was having the wings re-skinned. As a result I was able to sit in all the BBMF aircraft they had at the time for a good look at them and sit in the various seats of the Lanc with the exception of the rear gunner. I wish we had had digital cameras then for a few good selfies.

We had a visit from my son with his wife and sons in August and went to a medieval event at Tattershall Castle followed by a visit to the BBMF then on to the Woodhall Spa Tea Room before heading home.

Martin C

Robert Atkinson 2
                    Participant
                      @robertatkinson2

Yes, worth a visit.

Been there a couple of times for business. Done some design and certification work for them on a couple of aircraft.

Robert.

JA
                      Participant
                        @ja

I visited Coningsby about forty years ago for work. Tornados were operating from there. I cannot remember why I went there but three of us did the journey to and from there in a day, across country from Bristol.

JA

Andrew Johnston
                        Participant
                          @andrewjohnston13878

Heard something slightly unusual doing aerobatics this afternoon. Superficially it looked a bit like a Spitfire but didn’t sound anything like a Merlin or a Griffon. Definitely a big radial engine. The aircraft had invasion strips so that confirmed it as the P47 Thunderbolt from Duxford.

Andrew

Viewing 11 posts - 1,976 through 1,986 (of 1,986 total)