2″ Fowler Cylinder

2″ Fowler Cylinder

Home › Forums › Traction engines › 2″ Fowler Cylinder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #47547
    DRG MIMechE
    Participant
      @drgmimeche
      Hi
      Has any body machined the new cylinder from M.J.Eng ?
       
      The anulus is part of the casting but only runs half way round when you come to drill the two holes from the regulator chest 3/16″ from the drawing only one hole enters the anulus.
      I spoke to MJ and they said the casting had changed but were not sure what could be done and would get back to me.
      I could only think the anulus would have to be machined out all the way round or maybe a bigger hole in the regulator chest. The old casting i believe you had to machine the anulus in anyway.
       
       
      #2679
      DRG MIMechE
      Participant
        @drgmimeche
        #47548
        JasonB
        Moderator
          @jasonb
          Drill two holes on the oposite side to the valve chest, one to the front of the regulator the other to the rear.
           
          You can see how I did Mine including the one that I stopped part way through drillingas I felt it was going to cause problems. 
           
           
          I did turn a shallower annulas on mine to reduce the friction when inserting the cyl liner, about 0.004″
           
          I’ll pm you later, off to work now
           
          Jason
          #52526
          DRG MIMechE
          Participant
            @drgmimeche

            Hi >>

            I was hoping that I could get some more advice on the 2″ fowler cylinder. I drilled the 6 holes at each end which break through to the inlet ports in the valve chest, and the drawing says to recess them 3/32 on the top of the cylinder.  The cylinder cover has a 3/32 lip which locates into the bore, this seems to close off the recess. Any help would be appreciated.>>

            #52527
            JasonB
            Moderator
              @jasonb
              You need to mill away part of the spigot on the cylinder covers to allow the steam to flow through. I think I did mine 1/16″ deep and 1/4″ in from the edge
               
              Jason
              #52553
              DRG MIMechE
              Participant
                @drgmimeche
                Thanks for your help Jason i will try that.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

              Latest Replies

              Home › Forums › Traction engines › Topics

              Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
              Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

              View full reply list.