Stuart 10V Build Log – Complete Beginner…

Advert

Stuart 10V Build Log – Complete Beginner…

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Stuart 10V Build Log – Complete Beginner…

Viewing 10 posts - 376 through 385 (of 385 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

It does look like a Tandem Compound. Two sets of drain cocks, inlet into the top (HP) chest and exhaust from the lower (LP) cylinder side would be right for a tandem.

Now there is a nice little challenge for someone a Tandem Compound 10.

I'll make do with the vary rare No11 or "One-One" I've just drawn up which has got my attention at the moment.

Advert
      Martin Connelly
      Participant
        @martinconnelly55370

As a child I remember seeing lots of scale models of ships and their engine rooms in Liverpool museums. They were used to both get money for the shipyards to go ahead with the full size build and also to make sure everything fitted together when built. It was also a way for craftsmen to see what was to be made without having to interpret hand drawn paper plans at every stage. Modern CAD has made a lot, if not all, of this preparatory work obsolete.

Martin C

Dr_GMJN
        Participant
          @dr_gmjn
          Posted by Martin Connelly on 18/08/2022 07:52:01:

As a child I remember seeing lots of scale models of ships and their engine rooms in Liverpool museums. They were used to both get money for the shipyards to go ahead with the full size build and also to make sure everything fitted together when built. It was also a way for craftsmen to see what was to be made without having to interpret hand drawn paper plans at every stage. Modern CAD has made a lot, if not all, of this preparatory work obsolete.

Martin C

Yes, a lot of the models at the museum were made by or for shipyards or shipping lines. IIRC Basset Lowke used to build a lot of one-off models like this?

Dr_GMJN
          Participant
            @dr_gmjn

Some more general info here:

**LINK**

Hopper
            Participant
              @hopper
              Posted by Dr_GMJN on 18/08/2022 07:25:58:

Posted by noel shelley on 17/08/2022 21:36:12:

My limited german seems to indicate that the description of the" Deutschland" engines states that it had Quad expansion engines! Noel.

That’s how I understand it. Not much online about the engines, but the German Wikipedia seems to say they were 6 cylinder engines. The UK Wikipedia doesn’t mention them.

Is the additional small cylinder above the 10V the main cylinder, and the lower one a compound?

I am just looking at the plumbing on the main engine and trying to work out what they have done there to get four expansion stages and six cylinders. It looks like there are two HP cylinders sticking up above the cylinder heads of what would be a "normal" four-cylinder triple expansion engine with two LP cylinders. In this engine though, the HP pistons must run on extensions of the piston rods from the cylinders below them. But the two LP cylinders are not in the more usual position one at each end of the row, but rather are the two centre cylinders, according to the plumbing of the exhaust steam to the condensor. Never seen anything like it. Fascinating. Now that would be a model to build, if only I had another lifetime to complete it in!

Also quite intriguing is the mechanism that looks like a stack of washers on the main crankshaft output end, outboard of the barring gear. Looks like it is some kind of thrust block with a line of thrust bearings running in grooves in the shaft, to transfer the thrust load from the prop shaft to the hull without transfering any end-load to the engine bearings.

Dr_GMJN
              Participant
                @dr_gmjn

Yes I’ve seen the washer stack thing on other marine engines. I expect the axial forces when going from full ahead to full astern are pretty monumental.

noel shelley
                Participant
                  @noelshelley55608

Models like this you could look at a hundred times and every time you would spot something you had miss before ! Last night it was quad expansion, this morning I wondered why the 10V had 4 drain cocks ! I just marvel at the skill and patience ! Noel.

PS there is a small quad expansion engine at the Industrial Steam Museum at Forncett St Mary, Near Norwich.

bernard towers
                  Participant
                    @bernardtowers37738

Yes the one at forncett is a Simpson and Strickland, we had the same fitted into the Falcon at the museum of the broads but now have a Leake compound.

Dr_GMJN
                    Participant
                      @dr_gmjn

I found my old Museum guidebook, it doesn’t give much more info. The builder is Karl-Friedrich Pohlmann. he also built a model of the Titanic’s engines, but must admit I didn’t notice them in the museum last week:

**LINK**

I can’t find out anything about the builder online. Certainly seems to know what he’s doing though!

Dr_GMJN
                      Participant
                        @dr_gmjn

Almost a year later, and I was back in Hamburg. I had another look at the ship engine, and noticed this plate:

Looks like it took him about 6 1/2 years to build. His “Titanic” engine is displayed next to it, and while not as complex, is also very impressive.

Viewing 10 posts - 376 through 385 (of 385 total)