2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition

Advert

2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition

Home Forums Website Announcements 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt

VOTING NOW OPEN SEE LINK BELOW

Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

The John Stevenson Trophy 2020

Many readers and forum members will remember John Stevenson, a contributor to MEW but best known for his larger-than life presence on the Model Engineer forum.

Funded by many donations in his memory, the Stevenson Cup was first awarded in 2018. The cup is engraved “John Stevenson, 1948 – 2017, Remembered by his many friends” with “Awarded for Excellence in Practical and Useful Workshop Equipment” on the plinth.

The John Stevenson Trophy is presented for just that, a well-made and usable piece of tooling, a modification to a machine or an accessory for a tool where the fact it works well is more important than making it look good. Unlike traditional judged trophies, we decided on a different approach to reflect John’s reticence about traditional competitions. After a call for nominations, a small panel of judges selected a shortlist, on which there was an online vote.

In 2018 it was won by John Ashton and in 2019 the award went to Michael Cox.

In a strange twist of fate, the current coronavirus lockdown means that it’s unlikely there will be any traditional engineering competitions over this year’s exhibition season. The ‘virtual’ nature of the Stephenson Trophy competition means that we can forge ahead with it this year.

In view of the unusual circumstances, we have decided to once again make the competition open to all. Any reader or forum member may enter their own work. We have also extended the deadline until the end of June to allow people to make (or finish off or simply tidy up an existing project) during this lockdown period.

A short list will then be prepared by the organisers, so that award of the cup can be judged by a popular vote. Voting will be via a poll on the forum and open to all.

The winner will be announced online and in the magazine.

To enter, just send four good photographs of your entry with up to (about) 500 words of description by email to neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com no later than 31 July 2020.

Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt

<bump>

I've had one entry and a few enquiries, so far.

Please don't be shy and remember it's ingenuity and effectiveness that really count, so why not enter one of your own tools this year?

Neil

Ady1
          Participant
            @ady1
            Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/05/2020 15:09:34:

<bump>

I've had one entry and a few enquiries, so far.

Neil

So there will definitely be a winner this year

(John would appreciate the humour)

Neil Wyatt
              @neilwyatt

smiley

I'm now up to two!

Come on folks, don't be shy!

Neil

Martin Kyte
              Participant
                @martinkyte99762

Does it have to be our own original design or could it be designed by someone else?

I can't remember the rules.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 14/05/2020 18:00:05

Neil Wyatt
                  @neilwyatt

It can be someone else's design but it should be you own work; as long as entrants are open about such things and bought-in components.

Neil

Ian Johnson 1
                  Participant
                    @ianjohnson1

Thanks Neil for bumping this thread back up.

IanJ

JohnF
                    Participant
                      @johnf59703

I reckon this needs another bump !

Neil Wyatt
                        @neilwyatt

A reminder to anyone planning a last-minute entry – you have until the end of the month to get your entry to me.

Neil

derek hall 1
                        Participant
                          @derekhall1

Hi Neil

I am considering entering the competition, with my meagre offering.

Hopefully there been a good response this year…

Regards

Derek

Neil Wyatt
                            @neilwyatt
                            Posted by derek hall 1 on 26/07/2020 10:05:47:

Hi Neil

I am considering entering the competition, with my meagre offering.

Hopefully there been a good response this year…

Regards

Derek

Not a tsunami, but enough to have a decent competition.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt

Voting for the 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition is now open!

Follow the link below to see all the entries and the voting form:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/stevenson

Good luck to all the entrants.

Neil

David George 1
                              Participant
                                @davidgeorge1

Bump

Martin Kyte
                                Participant
                                  @martinkyte99762

Next year can we have a chance to say why we voted as we did. Might throw an interesting slant on things.

Interesting range or entries anyway.

regrds Martin

duncan webster 1
                                  Participant
                                    @duncanwebster1

I probably never sent this to Neil, but here's a photo of the display on my tailstock DRO, (last entry) The battery has nothing to do with it!

img_3761 (small).jpg

Neil Wyatt
                                      @neilwyatt
                                      Posted by duncan webster on 15/09/2020 17:57:58:

I probably never sent this to Neil, but here's a photo of the display on my tailstock DRO, (last entry) The battery has nothing to do with it!

img_3761 (small).jpg

Hi Duncan,

A shame, you should have included that with your entry (although I was really grateful for an entry that fitted in a half page!) I don't think it would be fair to add it to the voting page at this stage as others may want to add extra as well.

Neil

Ady1
                                      Participant
                                        @ady1

bump

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/09/2020 15:51:39:

Hi Duncan,

A shame, you should have included that with your entry (although I was really grateful for an entry that fitted in a half page!) I don't think it would be fair to add it to the voting page at this stage as others may want to add extra as well.

Neil

Mmm … that could be a tricky one angel

Are voters now required to disregard the ‘late-filed evidence’ submitted by Duncan ?

The lawyers could have a field-day !

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                                          Participant
                                            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, well I've already voted, so it won't affect me, not saying if I did or did not vote for this one though.

Regards Nick.

SillyOldDuffer
                                              @sillyoldduffer
                                              Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2020 07:33:39:

The lawyers could have a field-day !

MichaelG.

No problem. Lawyers never have field-days. Only pay days.

devil

My problem is I like all the entries! Selecting fairly demands I spent hours scoring on build quality, innovation, design, utility, and sex appeal. Life is too short so I voted for the one that charmed me most yesterday. Already having second thoughts. It's a close run thing.

Dave

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/09/2020 09:23:49:

No problem. Lawyers never have field-days. Only pay days.

My usage was as per Oxford Languages, yer onour :

an opportunity for action or success, especially at the expense of others.

"the newspapers had a field day as the case came to court"

MichaelG.

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1

Hi Duncan,

Neil

As I said when I submitted the entry, I don't expect to win, you only had one entry at the time and I thought I'd provide something for him to beat rather than win by default

Neil Wyatt
                                                    @neilwyatt

Whatever the motivations, the voting is getting exciting!

Obviously I can't share the details as that might influence voting. Let's hope I don't need to send out a safety car…

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      Posted by duncan webster on 17/09/2020 11:06:09:

As I said when I submitted the entry, I don't expect to win, you only had one entry at the time and I thought I'd provide something for him to beat rather than win by default

That was remarkably decent of you, Duncan yes

… There should be a special ‘Good Karma’ award.

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)