This made me smile

Advert

This made me smile

Home Forums Hints And Tips for model engineers This made me smile

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    BERT ASHTON
    Participant
      @bertashton57372

001.jpg

Advert
      BERT ASHTON
      Participant
        @bertashton57372
        Thor 🇳🇴
        Participant
          @thor

yes

Hopper
          Participant
            @hopper

Reminds me of when I was a hospital maintenance engineer. High impedance air gap was the number one cause of electric beds not working in patient rooms. Wish I had thought of that terminology when filling out the "Action Taken" section of the work order.

Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, very good.

ega
              Participant
                @ega

The other euphemism for "hitting it with a big hammer" was "shock loading".

SillyOldDuffer
                  @sillyoldduffer

Lots of similar jokes in computer-land.

In order of reliability: hardware, software, and wetware. As ordinary folk are famously gormless wetware, they're politely called 'Users'. Only those in the trade know this is spelt 'Lusers', the 'L' being silent…

devil

John Doe 2
                  Participant
                    @johndoe2
                    Posted by ega on 30/11/2022 10:55:08:

The other euphemism for "hitting it with a big hammer" was "shock loading".

Or 'Percussive maintenance' !

A euphemism for 'a big hammer' is 'the number one persuader'.

ega
                    Participant
                      @ega

Or the Birmingham screwdriver.

duncan webster 1
                      Participant
                        @duncanwebster1

Hammer = manually deployed impact press

Swarf, Mostly!
                        Participant
                          @swarfmostly

A colleague of mine used to reckon that 'preventative maintenance' was taking the equipment apart every 2000 hours to find out why it was still working!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Steviegtr
                          Participant
                            @steviegtr

HaHa This made my day. It doesn't much these days.

Steve.

Martin Connelly
                            Participant
                              @martinconnelly55370

In the RAF we were banned from putting NFF (no fault found) and had to put UTRF (unable to reproduce fault) instead. We frequently asked if we could put problems with the seat-stick interface, sadly the answer was always no.

Martin C

Tom Sheppard
                              Participant
                                @tomsheppard60052

Aviation has a few as well.

Fault report: Port engine missing. Engineer's report: Port engine located on port wing.

Pilot: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
                                Engineer: Cannot reproduce the problem on the ground.

There are many others…

Morty
                                Participant
                                  @morty

What's the difference between an:-

A. Autopilot

and a

B. Human pilot?

…….You need skilled Labour to make an autopilot!!! smiley

Cheers Pete

old mart
                                  Participant
                                    @oldmart
                                    Posted by Martin Connelly on 30/11/2022 16:52:54:

In the RAF we were banned from putting NFF (no fault found) and had to put UTRF (unable to reproduce fault) instead. We frequently asked if we could put problems with the seat-stick interface, sadly the answer was always no.

Martin C

When I was an instrument mechanic, we used to get the red/green fault reports from the RAF with the kit they couldn't fix themselves. I remember an exhaust gas tester, (rather like an AVO meter) sent to us with the glass broken and full of wet mud with green mould growths in the works. on the fault report was "doesn't ackle",it made us all laugh as we scrapped the meter.

Edited By old mart on 30/11/2022 18:40:54

mike T
                                    Participant
                                      @miket56243

Pilot's Fault Report : Something loose in the tail.

Ground Engineer : Something loose in the tail tightened.

John Olsen
                                      Participant
                                        @johnolsen79199

PEBKAC……..Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

Cars have a similar problem when the nut behind the wheel is too tight.

I remember an American getting upset once when he found out that US chalked onto a piece of equipment meant unserviceable.

John

noel shelley
                                        Participant
                                          @noelshelley55608

Many moons ago an old friend had some T shirts made for the local carnival ! On the front IMPACT ENGINEERING. on the back IF IT DOESN'T FIT HIT IT !!! I think I still have one . Noel.

Nigel Graham 2
                                          Participant
                                            @nigelgraham2

I can't help thinking BBC Radio Four's All In The Mind could devote an entire series to analysing and explaining this sort of thing!

Especially that trait by which experience and skill is directly proportional to the complexity of the suggested cause ans cure of the breakdown, and inversely proportional to that of the fault itself….

Like:

"Oh no, our prototype test-piece has failed! "

Actual problem: A band-pass filter in the electronic test-equipment chain, set to stop everything above 10kHz (say), and everything below 10kHz.

The give-away? Merely the pattern of the two pointer-knobs on the filter's front panel.

"We've measured everything and still can't see what's wrong! "

A 7.25"g loco chassis, a club project, barely struggled to rotate on its air-tests. Result: months of the bench accumulating bits of paper covered with sums and scribbled Reuleaux Diagrams, by first-rate but now despairing craftsmen…

Actual problem: not spotted on erection – no hole in the middle of the exhaust-outlet gasket.

One that caught me out:

"We need make a diverter-board to keep the water-depth on the sill, constant.."

Water-mill affected by surges in the stream, shock-loading the machinery and breaking the hardwood "cogs" (millwright-ese for gear teeth) at about £11 each. We identified correctly, needing limit the very thin sheet of water, a fraction of an inch deep, flowing over the sill onto the 22ft diameter X 9ft wheel. The excess would go harmlessly over the weir. Discussions: lots of bits of paper with sketches of gears, screws, hand-wheels…. Luckily it didn't go that far.

Actual solution: A plank supported by simple brackets, on two wooden spacer blocks.

…..

Are you there, Dr. Hammond?

Oldiron
                                            Participant
                                              @oldiron
                                              Posted by BERT ASHTON on 30/11/2022 10:35:51:

001.jpg

I have a coffee mug with that legend printed on it. Came from the National motorcycle museum on my last visit.

regards

Martin Kyte
                                              Participant
                                                @martinkyte99762

Our old lab plumber (we now have a new lab) had a phrase that always made me chuckle. When describing the reason for a blocked toilet he used to say “trouble is it’s a case of a 3 inch pipe and a 4 inch A..e ole “ I would never have described him as one of life’s literary genius’ but on that particular subject he reached the heights.

regards Martin

Rohit Gada
                                                Participant
                                                  @rohitgada97847

I am going to print this on my mug right away. I can't stop laughing.

Steven Corston
                                                  Participant
                                                    @stevencorston14096

We had a sign in the maintenance department which read;

"On this bench the most highly skilled engineers in the factory strip down the most complicated equipment. In future we hope to recruit another highly skilled engineer who knows how to put the blooming stuff back together."

Bantam Bill
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bantambill

I used to work in the airframe repair department of a large aircraft manufacturer, hung above our desks was the name of the department:

Airframe

Repair

Support

Engineering

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)