Myfortd lathe lub oil

Advert

Myfortd lathe lub oil

Home Forums Beginners questions Myfortd lathe lub oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Peter Simpson 3
    Participant
      @petersimpson3

What oil do you use for spindle and bearings on your Myford. I just use any oil left over from car engine oil changes, new oil obviously.

Advert
      Robert Atkinson 2
      Participant
        @robertatkinson2

The recommended oil is a light ISO 32 (approx SAE 10) plain oiltypically used in hydraulic systems. Typical example is Esso Nuto 32.
        Engine oil is better than nothing. The additives in some automotive oils may damage some copper based bearing alloys. The slides and ways should be lubricated with heavier ISO 68 (approx SAE 20-30).

Harry Wilkes
        Participant
          @harrywilkes58467

Peter check out Lathe Spares.  https://www.lathespares.co.uk/myford-oil-lubrication  good supplier of Myford labs and other Myford spares

H

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

Don’t use engine oil on S 7 it’s not good for bronze bearings.

duncan webster 1
            Participant
              @duncanwebster1

I think it’s oil with EP additives that are bad for bronze, ordinary engine oil OK. However 32 grade hydraulic oil is readily available, for instance Machine Mart.

Chris Crew
              Participant
                @chriscrew66644

It must be at least 25 years ago now, but the late Malcolm Townend who was then the works manager at Myford, Beeston, attended a club meeting to present a history of Myford and to promote its products. During the ‘question and answer’ session following the lecture I recall he was asked specifically about Myford lathe lubrication and responded by saying that under no circumstances should motor oils be used on Myford products. This was because they contain additives and detergents, which whilst being entirely beneficial when used in the application for which they are formulated, they can cause damage and thus accelerated wear to bronze and other lubricated surfaces. I can only repeat Mr. Townend’s advice.

john fletcher 1
                Participant
                  @johnfletcher1

Esso Nuto 32 or the equivalent Hydraulic fluid, which is available from ship chandler, agricultural merchant / dealers or if you know a JCB driver or bulldozer drive then you might be lucky as they usually have a 40 gallon barrel around. A clean milk carton full for a few beers. John

Morty
                  Participant
                    @morty

Hi Peter!

I am currently using up a bottle of Halfords Trolley Jack Oil, which is stated as ISO 32. I paid under a tenner for this not too long ago,but a quick look does not show it on Their website now.

I had a look on Amazon and have seen a 5L bottle (classed as Log Splitter Oil) for £25 (£5/L), and a 20L drum for £50 (£2.50/L), both a lot cheaper than ‘Official’ sources?

Cheers, (Oh, don’t drink it!!)   Morty

mgnbuk
                    Participant
                      @mgnbuk

Ebay has both ISO 32 hydraulic oil & ISO 68 slideway oil in various quantities, with 1 litre bottles  from around £8 posted.

Nigel B.

noel shelley
                      Participant
                        @noelshelley55608

In the context of motor oils and that they may/can cause damage to bronze bearing The oils being referred to are the EP type gear oils best known as axle oils when vehicles (cars and light vans)had a crown wheel and pinion rear axle. The commonest was EP90, a fluid with a viscosity so high that one could knock over the container and it would not spill out for some time – why one would use such a lubricant on a lathe i have to question ? I has a most unpleasant smell and it will take many washes to remove it from ones hands. For our purposes multigrade engine oil or synthetics are wasted.

This topic is a regular visitor to the forum ! Any oil is better than a dry bearing ! Hydraulic is designed for a much harsher environment than a lathe ( even a Myford ) so ISO 32 hydraulic or SAE 10, they may well have anti foaming agents, no problem ! There is also a straight SAE 10 engine oil that will work if that is what you have. Then the bed etc A STRAIGHT SAE 30 mineral oil ( classic car engine oil ) or ISO 68, this is not a multigrade and does not have the viscosity modifying polymers Etc in it that may concern some.

Of the lesser known oil producers is Morris Oils and Witham oils and Paints. I have used both ! Noel.

Robert Atkinson 2
                        Participant
                          @robertatkinson2

Noel,
                          You are not quite correct. While EP oils are particuarly bad, many oils and greases can damage alloys containing copper. So much so that there are tests for copper corrosion e.g. ASTM D130, D1338 and D-4048. There are lots of additives in modern motor oils that can cause issues.
                          Mobil Nuto H32 meets ASTM D130 1A.
                          I use a military specification ISO 32 hydraulic oil on my Myford and it is also 1A (but apparently better wear protection). I use it because it was available at low cost.

A check of the datasheets for several motor oils from different manufacturers provided no information on copper corrosion.
                          When I made a comment on using motor oil earlier in this thread I was very careful with my wording.

Robert.

duncan webster 1
                          Participant
                            @duncanwebster1

As I posted earlier, I thought it was only EP oils that are a problem. However following Robert’s post I’ve been googling (yes I’m bored waiting for SWMBO to get ready) and it appears he’s right, some anti wear additives in engine oil can cause issues with copper. You won’t know which ones, so the argument ‘I’ve been using it for years’ won’t wash. ISO 32 is cheap enough I’d just use it.

JA
                            Participant
                              @ja

The wisdom is above.

It depends how often you use your lathe but my S7 has a high oil consumption, both ISO32 & 64. My clumsiness with the oil gun and leaving the lathe covered, not wiped down, in ISO64 oil when not in use do not help. I think buying oil 1 litre quantities does not make sense. This is expensive and you are bound to run out at the wrong time. I buy 5 litres of oil at a time and have sometimes bought 25 litres.

In addition you will start using ISO32 as a general lubricant around the workshop.

An oily JA

Fulmen
                              Participant
                                @fulmen

Doesn’t most motors have bronze bearings these days?

Then there is the matter of detergents, as I understand it they should only be used if you have a filter. Most machinery does not have this, so they rely on settling to get rid of contamination.

duncan webster 1
                                Participant
                                  @duncanwebster1

Myford S7/ml7 has a once through total loss oil system, so detergents/filters is irrelevant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)