Choosing an MMA Welder

Advert

Choosing an MMA Welder

Home Forums Manual machine tools Choosing an MMA Welder

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hejay
    Participant
      @hejay

Hey all, I need to make some aluminium and steel jigs and frames out of tubular steel and don’t know what MMA welder to go for. Needs to be 240V and have a duty cycle that’s not agonising. Other than that, can be new or used.

Advert
      noel shelley
      Participant
        @noelshelley55608

You make no mention of materisl thickness or the number to be made. For a quality job I would say inverter Fusion at Honiton The 175A is good and has a guarantee at about £500 . There’s cheap far east, or a old transformer unit BOMB proof and second hand = cheap, must be oil filled. Tube, I would also look at a GOOD MIG set. Noel.

Robert Atkinson 2
        Participant
          @robertatkinson2

MMA is a very poor choice for aluminium.

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

Following Roberts comment I agree. If aluminium is being used then there is only really one process that will work well if using electric, TIG ! AC TIG ! I recently bought a cheapish machine that has worked well and depending on what extras you add will do TIG, MIG and MMA at up to a CLAIMED 250A !This machine also claims to need 28A at 240V but is supplied with a 13A plug that does NOT even get warm when running at a setting of 250A ! Alli can be welded using MMA but is is messy and rods are expensive. If you use TIG or MIG you will need a supply of ARGON gas and unless you are a skilled welder you will need some time to get the hang of it. Working on 1/4″thick material I needed the claimed 250A. It was a ROHM 250 WSME. Noel.

PS If you go for TIG  then avoid a scratch start type, go for high frequency start, the former will work but soon gets tiresome to use. N

Dave Halford
            Participant
              @davehalford22513

You should be asking here

DC31k
              Participant
                @dc31k
                On noel shelley Said:

TIG ! AC TIG ! 250A ! 250A !

I am not a welder, but is TIG with an exclamation point bigger or better than TIG without that embellishment?

Similarly, are 250 A! better for welding than 250 of Mr Ampere’s standard product?

Oldiron
                Participant
                  @oldiron
                  On DC31k Said:
                  On noel shelley Said:

TIG ! AC TIG ! 250A ! 250A !

I am not a welder, but is TIG with an exclamation point bigger or better than TIG without that embellishment?

Similarly, are 250 A! better for welding than 250 of Mr Ampere’s standard product?

🙂   :-)!

duncan webster 1
                  Participant
                    @duncanwebster1

I don’t think mocking someone’s punctuation actually helps

Harry Wilkes
                    Participant
                      @harrywilkes58467
                      On duncan webster 1 Said:

I don’t think mocking someone’s punctuation actually helps

Agreed

H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)