My Version of Tapping and Staking Tool

Advert

My Version of Tapping and Staking Tool

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling My Version of Tapping and Staking Tool

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    conrod
    Participant
      @conrod

So I had my Fathers face plate from his ML7 sitting around, decided to make use of it.

Trefolex is a wonderful thing.tap04red

Advert
      Hopper
      Participant
        @hopper

Good idea. I like the adaptation of the standard type tap wrench so it can be changed to suit different sized tap shanks.

conrod
        Participant
          @conrod

Yes, I have a “big” and “small” tap wrench, also number stamp adaptor

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

Very neat and so simple ! 10/10 and a gold star. Noel.

jaCK Hobson
            Participant
              @jackhobson50760

nice paint job

Chris Crew
              Participant
                @chriscrew66644

I made a similar thing out of an old hand-held electric drill stand.

Howard Lewis
                Participant
                  @howardlewis46836

Like Chris Crew, I made a tapping fixture from the stand mfor an old Consolidated Pneumatic drill.

The arm was a piece of box section with two bushes welded in, and then reamed, under ther mill, just by moving the ntablke.

The tap is held in a small drill chuck, and the spindle is driven by a short length of 6 x 2 injection piping, as a tommy bar.

In this way, the “feel” is still there, but if things get tight, the chuck slips around the tap rather than break the tap.

The arm is clamped in position by a bakelite knob on a threaded nrod presing a brass against the pillar.

Howard

IanT
                  Participant
                    @iant

Here’s my version. I take the table off my small drill stand and insert a reamed bush instead.

A shaft fitted with an inexpensive ER16 chuck fits into the bush and can slide up & down in it. For small taps, I just hold the chuck. Seems to work very well and is simple to make if you have this kind of drill table. As you will see, I use Trefolex (the magic green stuff) too! A small tin will last a lifetime.

Regards,

IanT

IMG_5700

Chris Mate
                    Participant
                      @chrismate31303

You gave me an idea. Had old restored drillpress gathering dust.
                      -Removed the two nuts holding wheel t top, now you have a floating shaft with chuck.
                      -it works great for tapping the holes in RT disc, slow process however, using what you got. I grab the big wheel itself not the handle for tapping, that gives me a good feel.

Note-1:You don’t have to put the nuts back on top, just wind the worm down, connect the ratchet, and it advance the drill down for drilling, easier than I thought, just make sure the its wided back upo for tapping.

Note-2:This drillpress base has the nastiest cast Iron I ever drilled, drilled a hole for tap to rest in going down the hole.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)