Fobco thread sizes

Advert

Fobco thread sizes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Astroboy
    Participant
      @111122223354

I have aquired, cleaned and changed the bearings on an old neglected Fobco Star pillar and am having problems with thread sizes.

I am missing the knurled top bolts that hold the belt cover in place and am looking for a suitable replacement, unfortunately I am a wood butcher and a total noob on thread sizes. Also the grease nipples seem to be a strange pitch?(Pipe thread?).

Any help would be very(very) much appreciated.

If anyone happens to have these spare I would be very interested.

Also is there anywhere the locking handles can be sourced?

TIA Jamie.

Advert
      Howard Lewis
      Participant
        @howardlewis46836

Fobco is probnably a British supplier, so think in terms of Imperial sizes, not Metric.

First thing is to measure the OD of the stud, probably 5/16″ at a wild uneducated guess.

If you are a woodworker, you are unlikely to have thread gauges, so must do a bit of “suck it and see”

Try to count the threads over, ideally, an inch, but may have to be less.

Another WILD guess, that the threads will be

1/4″ BSF will be 26 t p i

5/16″ BSF will be 22 tpi

3/8″ BSF will be 20 tpi.

If the threads look to be coarser than these, they may be BSW, in which case

1/4″ BSW will be 20 t p i

5/16″ BSW will be 18 tpi

3/8″ BSW will be 16 tpi.

Knowing what the diameter is, and the pitch of the thread, if you can get a nut of that size and thread, try running down the thread.  Whit or BSF may be hard to find, and expensive.

You might find UNF or UNC at places like Halfords, but probably at a price for just a couple!

It is possible that threads might be Unified, in which case UNF nuts might be easier to come by to try as a gauge.

1/4 UNF will be 28 t p i

5/16″ UNF will be 24 tpi

3/8″ UNF will be 24 tpi.

If UNC

1/4 UNC will be 20 t p i

5/16″ UNC will be 18 tpi

3/8″ UNF will be 16 tpi.

Unified and Whitworth form threads are not interchangeable, the thread form is different, as are some of the pitches..

Grease nipples are likely to be BSP, 1/8″ BSP will be 0.383″ OD x 40 tpi; 1/4″ BSP will be 0.518″ OD x 19 tpi.

Guessing again, the cover retaining nuts may well be knurled rather than hexagon, in which case are MOST unlikely to be available commercially, except POSSIBLY as spare parts. Either way, spares or specially made, costly, no doubt.

HTH

Howard

DC31k
        Participant
          @dc31k
          On Astroboy Said:

I am missing the knurled top bolts

Also the grease nipples seem to be a strange pitch?(Pipe thread?).

Do you require bolts or nuts? Diagram here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/help-fobco-star-pulley-removal.120638/ The items (part 164/168) do not look like bolts to me particularly because parts 162 and 163 are called out separately.

You could buy a knurled nut with a smaller thread (example of the style – better to buy in brass or steel not stainless if you are to tap it yourself https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/m2-m2-5-m3-m4-m5-m6-m8-m10-knurled-thumb-nuts-a1-stainless-steel-hand-turn-knobs/) and drill and tap it to the correct thread. You could make a top hat washer from delrin (easily turned using a wood lathe and tools).

Grease nipples could well be 1/8″ BSP. You can look up the major diameter and thread pitch of 1/8″ BSP.

For locking handle advice, post a picture of a complete machine and describe which parts you need. Your current words are too vague to offer useful advice.

Buy a cheap set of calipers (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adoric-Vernier-Caliper-Metric-Conversion/dp/B07DFFYCXS) and a set of thread pitch gauges (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Thread-Imperial-Cutting-Measuring/dp/B08MT6KYVW) work out how to use them and tell us your results.

Clive Brown 1
          Participant
            @clivebrown1

The knurled cover nuts are threaded 3/8″ BSF, ie 20 tpi. They are normally held captive to the cover itself by a circlip.

Tony of website Lathes.co.uk seems to hold a few Fobco spares. Might be worth asking him. Otherwise, the nuts aren’t too difficult as a lathe job.

bernard towers
            Participant
              @bernardtowers37738

I would think the grease nipples are likely to be BSF

Chris Crew
              Participant
                @chriscrew66644

Someone was selling Fobco knurled screws on HWS recently. They are still up there on page two of the ads. but at a price.

Astroboy
                Participant
                  @111122223354

I think you are right, time to invest in some more tools! My other half will be pleased… 😉

Astroboy
                  Participant
                    @111122223354
                    On DC31k Said:
                    On Astroboy Said:

I am missing the knurled top bolts

Also the grease nipples seem to be a strange pitch?(Pipe thread?).

Do you require bolts or nuts? Diagram here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/help-fobco-star-pulley-removal.120638/ The items (part 164/168) do not look like bolts to me particularly because parts 162 and 163 are called out separately.

You could buy a knurled nut with a smaller thread (example of the style – better to buy in brass or steel not stainless if you are to tap it yourself https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/m2-m2-5-m3-m4-m5-m6-m8-m10-knurled-thumb-nuts-a1-stainless-steel-hand-turn-knobs/) and drill and tap it to the correct thread. You could make a top hat washer from delrin (easily turned using a wood lathe and tools).

Grease nipples could well be 1/8″ BSP. You can look up the major diameter and thread pitch of 1/8″ BSP.

For locking handle advice, post a picture of a complete machine and describe which parts you need. Your current words are too vague to offer useful advice.

Buy a cheap set of calipers (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adoric-Vernier-Caliper-Metric-Conversion/dp/B07DFFYCXS) and a set of thread pitch gauges (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Thread-Imperial-Cutting-Measuring/dp/B08MT6KYVW) work out how to use them and tell us your results.

Wow did not realise this would be so complicated. I will sort out some pictures when I get a chance… thanks for the advice.

Astroboy
                    Participant
                      @111122223354

If you had a lathe 🙁 . I have messaged Tony, i’ll post what comes of it. Cheers.

Astroboy
                      Participant
                        @111122223354

HWS? Cannot find out what website this is? Very interested though…

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          On Astroboy Said:

HWS? Cannot find out what website this is? Very interested though…

Presumably homeworkshop

MichaelG.

Ref. https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Chris Crew
                          Participant
                            @chriscrew66644

My apologies, homeworkshop.org.uk is commonly referred to as HWS amongst the fraternity.

Dave Wootton
                            Participant
                              @davewootton

Was quite a while ago but at one time David Anchell from the machinery dealer Quillstar had some new Fobco spares from the factory close down. I bought a complete new spindle assembly and a return spring at very reasonable prices. Might be worth an email or phone call, I seem to remember he had quite a varied stock of parts and it took him a while to locate them in his quite large premises!

Craig Brown
                              Participant
                                @craigbrown60096

Hi Jamie.

I made a batch of the knurled knobs for the belt cover a while ago and may still have a set in stock, I will let you know tomorrow if of any interest. I also made some depth stop nuts which I suspect I still have too.

The grease nipples are pretty standard apart from the one counterbored into the top of the quill, that one has a short head on it to allow it to sit below the level of the counterbore.

When referring to the locking handles do you mean the chromed ball handles? Which ones do you need?

Craig

Astroboy
                                Participant
                                  @111122223354

Hi Craig,

That would be awsome, I think you would be saving me a lot of heartache if you did have these.

I have the pair of depth stop nuts, the grease nipples are ok apart from one that seems to have a small dent and does not work so may be ok changing out to another one(the quill grease point seems to work fine luckily).

The locking handle I am missing are the ones for the motor, one seems to have taken a knock and is bent and I am sure it is ready to snap.

The only other thing I seem to be missing is the knurled locking nut for the handle that moves the quill up and down during use although I think I may be able to get my hands on this from a seller.

I am missing parts 164, 168, 139 and 113 in the diagramme below.

Fobco STAR

Also missing(and I realise this is a longshot) is the locking collar that sits on the column and I am assuming supports the weight of the head. In the pic below it is the collar that is half way down the column, between the head and the table.

collar

I do realise I should have been clearer with what was needed from the get go, but appreciate all the help you guys have offered and realise that this is a wonderful place for info and help 🙂

regards

Jamie.

bernard towers
                                  Participant
                                    @bernardtowers37738

I think I’d be looking for a new table as well!

Craig Brown
                                    Participant
                                      @craigbrown60096

Jamie, I will have a look at what I have tomorrow, might have it all, I will message you.The collar for under the head allows you to undo the head, to rotate it, without it dropping.

Bernard, I don’t think that is his drill, just an example

Astroboy
                                      Participant
                                        @111122223354
                                        On bernard towers Said:

I think I’d be looking for a new table as well!

Haha, thanks Bernard. Yeah I think that would be on my list if that were mine. Mine is in good condition on top but the side has got a piece missing. I can live with it though as the top face is in perfect condition.

And Craig, I do appreciate the help. Just let me know what you have and what you need for it. Thank you…

DC31k
                                        Participant
                                          @dc31k
                                          On Astroboy Said:

Also missing is the locking collar that sits on the column

Short term, make a large washer out of plywood. Make it in four half pieces and glue back together insitu to make it 36mm thick (that way you do not need to remove the head to install it). Buy a Mikalor clip of the appropriate diameter for the column to sit under the plywood washer.

Craig Brown
                                          Participant
                                            @craigbrown60096

Jamie I have sent you a PM but doesn’t look like I could attach a picture so this is what I have and can make some ball handles if you require.

20240507_200524

Craig Brown
                                            Participant
                                              @craigbrown60096

20240508_203710

Now with added ball handle

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)