FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING

Advert

FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING

Home Forums Website Announcements FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    dhendley
    Keymaster
      @dhendley

Morning! Image uploads should be working now.

Advert
      Roger Clark
      Participant
        @rogerclark

Confirmed working smiley

JasonB
          @jasonb

Fine for me too.

dhendley
          Keymaster
            @dhendley

Great, thank you! We are still looking at why the login is a bit slow, but once you're in you should see some improvement!

Anonymous

I posted on this 5 minutes ago but it seems to have disappeared??

It was to say I'm still getting "invalid certificate" "unsafe site" etc so no padlock. I have cleared history, cache etc to make sure it's not my end, still the same.

"

dhendley
              Keymaster
                @dhendley
                Posted by Bezzer on 09/06/2022 15:55:43:

I posted on this 5 minutes ago but it seems to have disappeared??

It was to say I'm still getting "invalid certificate" "unsafe site" etc so no padlock. I have cleared history, cache etc to make sure it's not my end, still the same.

"

I think you have the old server cached – could you try clearing your browser cache, or temporarily use a browser you don't normally use?

Anonymous

I did clear all history, site data, caches etc before I posted, just done it again and still the same. I'm using Chrome and can't access another browser until later, I'll try it then.

Grindstone Cowboy
                  Participant
                    @grindstonecowboy

Logged in to post this, having not logged in (but have been browsing) for a couple of weeks.

Login took about 40 seconds, no warning about certificates, padlock shown. Latest version of Firefox, Win 10.

Random photo from a previously created album added here to see if it works…

img_3297.jpg

Rob

SillyOldDuffer
                      @sillyoldduffer

I probably benefited from not posting much during the changeover, so apart from uploading JPG, now fixed, it went smoothly for me. I don't seem to have lost anything other than my contribution to the Myford Belt thread.

Otherwise, testing with Firefox on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 22.04:

• Certificate – OK
                      • Login normal or slightly faster, better than 2 seconds today. (I always log out and in for each session and don't use the remember login facility.)
                      • Create Album and upload photos – OK
                      • Two browser tabs both logged in at the same time – OK
                      • Response time – good, maybe slightly faster than before
                      • Site Google Search – normal
                      • Search this site – normal
                      • Moderator functions – OK
                      • Nothing untoward noticed with Adverts, For Sale, Wanted, Who's logged in, PMs or other functions

Dave

JA
                      Participant
                        @ja

Login immediate (up to date version of Firefox and Windows 10).

It strikes me the changes have been relatively painless.

JA

Anonymous

…..and now for some reason everything is OK. Still on Chrome, tablet not been turned off or reset and when I've come back to the site no warnings and secure padlock is now showing frown .

Gary Wooding
                          Participant
                            @garywooding25363

Login took a long time (>minute) just now. I previously logged in at around 7:00 (that was fairly quick) but wasn't given the opportunity to stay logged on, hence re-logging on just now.

Dalboy
                            Participant
                              @dalboy

In the change over have you included the ability to load PDF files or fixed the spell checker

Neil Wyatt
                                @neilwyatt

Hi Derek,

This is just a move from one server to another. No changes in functionality have been made, but we are looking at what might be improved in the future.

I'm changing the thread title to make it explicitly for raising any issues with the site functionality, as Darren suggested.

Neil

Joseph Noci 1
                                Participant
                                  @josephnoci1
                                  Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 08/06/2022 14:22:22:

This server could not prove that it is http://www.model-engineer.co.uk; its security certificate is from *.mortons.co.uk. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

All fixed and all working fine from my end – only difference is I see now I remain logged in from day to day – used to be auto-logged out a short while after having closed the site on my browser.

I wish the forum well with the Mortons move!

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 10/06/2022 11:54:08

ega
                                  Participant
                                    @ega
                                    Posted by Gary Wooding on 10/06/2022 09:49:29:

Login took a long time (>minute) just now. I previously logged in at around 7:00 (that was fairly quick) but wasn't given the opportunity to stay logged on, hence re-logging on just now.

My log in is also very slow.

John Hinkley
                                    Participant
                                      @johnhinkley26699

My log in is just about instantaneous with W11Home edition and Firefox100.0.1.

John

Journeyman
                                      Participant
                                        @journeyman

No problem with log-in here, almost instantaneous!

Making the post seemed quicker than normal as well.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 10/06/2022 15:27:11

Anonymous

I've gone back to no certificate, no padlock again sad Done nothing since yesterday when it decided to work OK, Have noticed, like Joseph, it keeps me permanently logged in from day to day.

Edit. I submitted this post and it chucked me onto the unsafe site page again, had to confirm the submission and it then posted as above.

Edited By Bezzer on 10/06/2022 16:17:48

Dalboy
                                          Participant
                                            @dalboy
                                            Posted by Neil Wyatt on 10/06/2022 10:41:21:

Hi Derek,

This is just a move from one server to another. No changes in functionality have been made, but we are looking at what might be improved in the future.

I'm changing the thread title to make it explicitly for raising any issues with the site functionality, as Darren suggested.

Neil

But is the spell checker not a function of the web site, so in your words "no change to functionality" so therefore there are no issues with functionality as with you second sentence

JasonB
                                              @jasonb

Derek it was simply a move to another server so no change in the current way the site software works be that good or bad. Neil is referring to any problems with functionality after the change of server eg login, photos, security, speed.

Functionality of the software is another issue and may or may not get addressed at some time, as I said earlier in the thread the spell checker is working for me highlighting any errors.

The last time a change of software was mooted the vast majority actually seemed to want to stick with this rather than the option at the time.

Edited By JasonB on 11/06/2022 07:32:48

SillyOldDuffer
                                                @sillyoldduffer
                                                Posted by Derek Lane on 10/06/2022 22:06:36:

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 10/06/2022 10:41:21:

But is the spell checker not a function of the web site…

Although the forum has a built-in spell-checker, putting it politely, it's not wonderful. Clunky and it defaults to US English and disgracefully complains about Aluminium. Never got it to remember I write British English and have to reset it manually every time.

The forum's spell-checker is a relic, more trouble than it's worth, and a better alternative is available! These days it's usual to use a Browser spell-checker rather than whatever happens to come with a forum: browser spell-checkers are up-to-date, work the same way on all websites and, once set up, are easier to use.

Which browser are you using? Whatever it is someone on the forum will know how to switch spell-checking on.

Dave

dhendley
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @dhendley

Hello. If you are experiencing an insecure message on your browser, it would be really helpful to know:

Device and generation (eg iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 2015 etc)

Operaring system (iOS 15.5, Android 5.1.1)

Browser and version (Chrome 102, Safari 15.5)

Thank you!

Nicholas Farr
                                                  Participant
                                                    @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Darren, I get a message on my Android 7, that my connection is not private and blocks it from viewing the forum. I don't very often use my phone for viewing this forum, but I've never had such a message before the changeover.

Regards Nick.

SillyOldDuffer
                                                      @sillyoldduffer

There's a danger that poor old Darren will find himself being asked to fix everyone's IT problems! For example, my Windows 10 doesn't recognise Daylight Saving Time unless I sync the time server manually . Love to blame this bug on the Forum upgrade, but it's a long-running Microsoft glitch effecting a small minority, cause unknown.

I mention my date/time problem because it's one of several issues that can cause a client to mismanage a new certificate. Pinched this list off an Android site, but Linux, Apple, and Windows are similar. Suggestions:

• The operating system is out-of-date. (upgrade if possible: buy new kit if necessary, old hardware doesn't last forever!)
                                                      • The browser is out-of-date. (upgrade)
                                                      • Operating system date/time is wrong. (reset it)
                                                      • Browser has cached information. (Go to Browser settings and clear data and cache.)
                                                      • Anti-virus software is blocking the new certificate. (Temporarily turn it off)
                                                      • The problem may be in the network (shutdown and restart router, or connect to a different WiFi.)
                                                      • One or more of the data structures used to manage the computer is corrupt. (Power the device off, wait at least one minute, and power back on. Doesn't fix all such problems, so if it fails try a factory reset.)

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 11/06/2022 14:58:08

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 178 total)