Emma Victoria – continued

Advert

Emma Victoria – continued

Home Forums Locomotives Emma Victoria – continued

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bill Dawes
    Participant
      @billdawes

Well after 12 years I am at the point of doing a static run test on air. (when I started I thought it would take me about 12 months but allowed 18 as it would be my first ever loco)

Finally got all the valve gear assembled and working?

It feels a bit tight turning by hand but I’m hoping a few minutes run will ease that.

Just waiting for an NPT tap and die to arrive off Tracey tools, I need them to make a connector piece between my steam pipe and compressor.

Looking forward with a mix of dread and excitement so cross everything for me guys.

Whatever the outcome I think this will be my first and last loco, I’m 82 now, want to get on with a few smaller projects.

Bill D.

Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1

12 years seems quite good. Took me 25 to do my second. Mind you in the meantime I had 3 kids and built 2 extensions. I’m done with extensions, but kids and grandchildren still take up too much time

Bill Dawes
        Participant
          @billdawes

Yes know what you mean Duncan, when I started this it was the start of my ‘retirement, still work part time.

Even so the last 12 years have gone in a flash, my wife and I  have three grandchildren, we love them dearly but try to monitor our time with them so we have time to do our own thing, retirement after all should be retirement from work not life so have been really busy, doing what I sometimes wonder, many weeks seem to consist of doctors, hospital, dentist, opticians, audiologist etc etc, and we are quite fit and healthy! to say nothing of gardening, upkeep of buildings, fencing and other hobbies, oh yes and the odd holiday.

When we go out for a walk we say how on earth did we cope when we had two young children, full/part time jobs, cricket. football, parties (childrens) McDonalds, parent evenings, fetching to/from school,  catching up with family, phew.

Bill D.

SteveP
          Participant
            @stevepye68246

Bill ,I think you will enjoy building the Stuart 5A engine, bigger parts but less of them.

I hope your Emma Victoria engine runs well.

Steve

Bill Dawes
            Participant
              @billdawes

Well got there, my heart sank when I first put the air on as I just got a hissing out of the exhaust, I knew it was quite tight so gave it a bit of assistance by hand and off it went.

Had the valve gear apart several times to find out why it was stiff some time ago but never got it really free.

Watched a Keith Appleton rebuild on video and he just pushed to loco back and forth on its rails and everyting worked, mine will just skid. Could it be that cylinders have O rings rather than piston rings.

Not sure whether valve timing is correct though, fully forward how much should the valve reveal/cover the ports?

Bill D.

Weary
              Participant
                @weary

Mr Dawes,

Your starting point for valve timing check is that in full forward gear, engine at dead-centre, the relevant inlet port should ‘just’ be about to open.

New loco’s are always a little stiff, that aspect is not too concerning provided there are no obvious ‘knocks’ or clear tight-spots.

Phil

duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1

With walschearts gear I set the valve so that in mid gear it just cracks open on both centres. With the crank on either centre, the valve should not move when going from full forward to full reverse.

Bill Dawes
                  Participant
                    @billdawes

Took my boiler in for test and (hopefully) certification.

I did it with some trepidation as it was my first ever boiler and I did not think the quality was that good particularly as I took it into Western steam who make boilers that look works of art to me.

We shall see, to get it passed would be a major milestone as I sweated blood making it, well the silver soldering at least, took a while to realise how much heat you needed (Propane torch)

Talking of silver soldering, I’m surprised the ME community hasn’t adopted silver brazing as it’s name rather than soldering, when I talk to people about it I can see that they visualise a plumbers blowlamp and wonder why I make such a song and dance about it.

Bill D.

Bill Dawes
                    Participant
                      @billdawes

Sadly boiler failed test, a couple of weeping rivets.

Lesson learned, do a thorough test first yourself, I did do a test but my little hand pump was leaking slightly so could not hold pressure for any length of time, as the boiler did not fail or show any leak I concluded that it was likely to be ok.

I have no complaint on test failure, a slight weep may not be an issue in reality during service, after all seeing rivets fizzing on boilers is not uncommon but fully appreciate that when certification is involved a slight leak could be an indication a potential structural problem.

Back to the burner then and back to the drawing board for my test set up.

One question on this, I used a copper pipe connection from pump to boiler but this of course is a bit inflexible, what sort of flexible tubing is ok for these pressures (180 psi, about 12 Barg.)

Bill D.

duncan webster 1
                      Participant
                        @duncanwebster1

Have you tried a punch and hammer on the rivets? Often slight weeps can be closed up without having to heat. If that won’t cure it I’d be tempted to try Comsol with agreement of your boiler inspector.

duncan webster 1
                        Participant
                          @duncanwebster1

When chasing weepage you can pump up the boiler with air using a bike pump. I know your not supposed to pressure test with air, but you’ve already done a hydraulic which proved structural integrity at presumably 2*working pressure, so say 40 psi from a bike pump isn’t going to trouble it. For a little boiler like Emma Victoria you can immerse it in a bucket of water and watch for the bubbles.

Harry Wilkes
                          Participant
                            @harrywilkes58467

Bill

I’m surprised your boiler inspector failed your boiler for a ‘couple of weeping rivets’ if they are easily reached you can soft solder them.

H

Bill Dawes
                            Participant
                              @billdawes

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Couple of other questions, well one other really as I have already asked the first one, pipe material for connecting pump

As I said I used copper pipe but the drawback I found with that was it doesn’t allow you to turn the boiler easily to examine it all over. In Henry Wood’s book of words a picture showed what looked like a silicon or similar pipe.

The other thing is how do you test your pressure gauge is opening at correct pressure, when its steaming or on air.

Bill D.

Bill Dawes
                              Participant
                                @billdawes

Sorry meant safety valve.

Bill D.

duncan webster 1
                                Participant
                                  @duncanwebster1

Henry uses nylon pneumatic pipe. The working pressures are listed here https://manlon.in/nylontubes.html

Your 160 psi test pressure is about 11 bar, but you shouldn’t go there again. The boiler has been shown to be OK once, as others have said a couple of weeps can be sorted and then retested at say 1.5 times WP.

duncan webster 1
                                  Participant
                                    @duncanwebster1

Double post

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)