Three lines

Advert

Three lines

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dell
    Participant
      @dell

Is it just me or is everyone having problems when trying to get to classified by tapping the three lines at the top of page.

Dell

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Came up fine on my Android

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Seems OK with Firefox & Linux.

I’m logged in and clicking on the Classified button, on the blue header line.

Screenshot from 2023-12-16 15-59-43

A new oddity I notice after a long absence, is a login glitch.   The forum accepts the password, but doesn’t acknowledge the log in was successful.  But it does if I press F5 to refresh the screen, sometimes twice.  Stuff doesn’t work properly until F5 gets me past the glitch.

F5 is Function Key 5 top row of your keyboard.   Mostly pressing a function key will just work, but some systems need the CTRL or SHIFT key to be held down before pressing it.

Dave

JasonB
            @jasonb

Dave, you only get the three lines when using a phone, they bring up the “classifieds” heading.

See this topic about the login problem which is still ongoing.

SillyOldDuffer
              @sillyoldduffer
              On JasonB Said:

Dave, you only get the three lines when using a phone, they bring up the “classifieds” heading.

See this topic about the login problem which is still ongoing.

Ahh, apologises to Clive for my misleading answer.

I’ll read the login link too.

Dave

Craig Brown
              Participant
                @craigbrown60096

Tapping the 3 lines does nothing on my Android phone with Chrome browser. It highlights, so it registers the tap, however nothing loads

duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1

Same for me, three lines does nothing

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

May I suggest that someone on the IT team explores the behaviour of this site when using the DuckDuckGo browser ?

There are very strange things occurring, which might go some way towards understanding both the ‘three lines’ and and the ‘getting logged-out’ problems.

MichaelG.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Not working for me this morning.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Ah, seems to work when you are on the home page but not from the forums page and as 99% will be using the forums page as their saved url to get to the site won’t get the three bars to work.

Can anyone else with the problem confirm that?

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133

I had never seen the problem, Jason, until last night when I was faffing-about

… I normally use the iPad in landscape mode, where the yellow banner rarely if ever shows.

Turning it to portrait mode, or using the phone, the banner with its three lines does show … and performs exactly as you have just described.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ here’s a Screenshot from the iPad in Portrait mode

IMG_9144

Dell
                          Participant
                            @dell

Very strange just tried on Safari everything works as it should , Google three lines won’t work at all, DuckDuckGo can’t even login because capita just keeps spinning.

Dell

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              File Handle
                              Participant
                                @filehandle

Jason
                                I get the 3 line with Firefox, but I don’t get the classified heading – see screen dump in Stainless steel for sale a few moments ago.
                                Keith

JasonB
                                  @jasonb

Your image is not showing

duncan webster 1
                                  Participant
                                    @duncanwebster1

I’m logged to forums page on on an android phone, it’s not at all obvious how to get to the home page, in fact I’ve failed.

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

Click the white text of the two magazine headings to get to home page

Nicholas Farr
                                      Participant
                                        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I get the classifieds as SOD has shown, but without the orange bar, on my laptops, and just as JasonB has shown in the stainless steel tube for sale thread, on my Android phone, after pressing the three lines in the yellow bar, and both take me to the classifieds without any problems.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133
                                          On JasonB Said:

Alternatively, if you are that way inclined… the forum pages show a path [rather like stepping-stones], which you can click-upon at any location.
                                          The path always starts at home:

IMG_9146

SillyOldDuffer
                                            @sillyoldduffer
                                            On Nicholas Farr Said:

Hi, I get the classifieds as SOD has shown, but without the orange bar, on my laptops…

The orange bar is a moderator thing, and only appears if you are one.  Gives access to tools like posts waiting moderation, abuse reports, profile management and such.  Allows moderators to do bothersome admin rather than giving them gee-whizz super-powers!

There’s a level above moderators too.  Webmaster is all powerful.  Hallowed ground – I don’t know what his controls look like.  Not normally interested in participants.  Things like managing security, up and down time, performance tuning, enabling and disabling functions, hiring and firing moderators etc.

The forum gets quite busy backstage.  At the moment Jason does almost all the moderating, and deserves high praise!   Webmaster and the developers are busy with technical problems.

Dave

Nicholas Farr
                                            Participant
                                              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Dave, I am aware that only moderators see the orange bar, and was trying to make it clear to those who didn’t know, so they don’t get confused.

Regards Nick.

File Handle
                                              Participant
                                                @filehandle

I just tried Chrome and Edge on my laptop, both give what I assume the correct view without the yellow bar and 3 bar menu, but with Firefox I get the yellow bar and 3 bars. until this discussion I hadn’t realised that I wasn’t seeing it as intended.
                                                Jason just to confirm the menu does work from the home page but not the Forum page.
                                                One of the issues that has always been around the web is that different browsers use their own variants of HTML etc, therefore what works for one browser might not work for others.
                                                When I was still an examiner, for one board I had to run Explorer, as their web interface was very browser specific.
                                                I guess as I will continue with Firefox I will just have to use the bottom menu.

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1
                                                  On JasonB Said:

That works, but it’s less than obvious. Why not call it ‘home page’ or ‘site index’. It doesn’t even look like a clickable button.

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

File Handle said in the other thread that has included a discussion about the three bars showed them on his laptop and Michael said that they are not intended for laptops.

I had said that the various headings are replaced by the three bars as a phone in usual portrated position does not have the width to display all the headings across the screen.

Coming back to the old point I raised about zooming, if you zoom in enough on a laptop or PC you also get the three bars as there is not enough room to wrap them so maybe that is what File Handle sees. This is a screen shot from my PC zoomed at 175%. The headings have gone from the wide blue bar and been replaced by the three bars on a yellow band

So I would say the three bars ARE intended for laptops and PCs when the screen is zoomed too much to allow all the headings to be displayed.

zoomed 175

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      On JasonB Said:

[…]

So I would say the three bars ARE intended for laptops and PCs when the screen is zoomed too much to allow all the headings to be displayed.

Mmm … I am happy to let you believe that, Jason … but I would say that it has happened more by accident than by design.

The code for these pages is so complicated that I have no hope of comprehending it … but I suspect someone has set the dynamic height & width of those blue and yellow areas badly.

… such matters should, of course all be documented somewhere [because such behaviours would, at least in broad terms, have been specified under the ‘look and feel’ requirements for the site]

MichaelG.

P.S. __ User-testing at an early stage of the development would probably have identified these issues … but “we are where we are”.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)