TEST THREAD

Advert

TEST THREAD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    OuBallie
    Participant
      @ouballie

Struggling to post properly? Post meaningless messages in this thread for practice purposes!

Advert
      OuBallie
      Participant
        @ouballie

Thanks to Ian S C for his observation regarding my 'winking idiots', I thought it was time the Forum had a means to 'TEST' a response to a thread before actually committing.

I am of course thinking back to the be beginning of time with regards the Internet, when Newsgroups where the forerunner of the Forums we use today.

All newsgroups had a thread solely to enable one to test a post beforehand, so here goes with mine.

I sometimes find the need to edit posts after the event, which is a PITA, especially when trying to get some imbedded text, photo or video working.

just a thought, so here goes.

Test to see which is the culprit, with or without a dash:

With

Without

Geoff – Enjoying a mug of coffee from DIY roasted beans,

OuBallie
        Participant
          @ouballie

Both are the culprits I see.

Geoff – 0330h tomorrow to collect other half after her jolly, so kip time soon.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

Geoff,

I think this is a reaonably comprehensive list of the Micro$oft keyboard shortcuts for the dreaded emoticons.

MichaelG.

Enough!
            Participant
              @enough

Some of the emoticon problems were explained a while ago by the website maintenance lady (her name escapes me …. senior moment ). Apparently, they could all be eliminated by allowing emoticons to be added only via the drop-down.

However, some people in other forums on the site insist on being able to compose emoticons via the keyboard (I guess they find it quicker than using the mouse). Which leaves the problem for the rest of us of inadvertently including a sequence of characters that lead to an unintended emoticon.

One thing I've learned is to include a space before a closing parenthesis. That seems to fix a few problems.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 25/08/2014 01:17:19

Ian S C
              Participant
                @iansc

I find that it's best to put punctuation marks after the bracket  That's a colon, dash, bracket.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 25/08/2014 12:00:49

Neil Wyatt
                  @neilwyatt

Hi Geoff,

you are not alone, so i hope you don't mind but I've made this thread 'sticky' and changed the title to invite any newbies (or confused oldies) to make test postings in here.

Neil

OuBallie
                  Participant
                    @ouballie

No objection Neil.

Another thought for the web designer is to include a 'Preview' button if possible.

Geoff – Back from walk to town and dripping.

Enough!
                    Participant
                      @enough

Another thing many sites have is the ability to specify one's time-zone and have displayed dates/times adjusted for that zone (if the user wishes). That can make it much more pleasant to use.

Jesse Hancock 1
                      Participant
                        @jessehancock1

Geoff :so where did you go Antwerp or Dublin?

Neil: you will join too it only takes time. Discombobulated indeed.

OuBallie
                        Participant
                          @ouballie
                          Posted by Jesse Hancock 1 on 02/03/2015 20:36:55:

Geoff :so where did you go Antwerp or Dublin?

Nope, nowhere exotic, only a mile to my local town centre & back.

Geoff – it's feels good to walk – sometimes.

Jesse Hancock 1
                          Participant
                            @jessehancock1

OuBallie Sorry mate I understood the dripping to be soaking wet from a swim but that was forgetting that some of us like dripping on bread. Yes the sometimes being the operative word on walking here. I have a bad chest so I don't walk far any-more.

Johns pad really reminds me so much of many one man band engineering shops back in the 80's and 90's.

mechman48
                            Participant
                              @mechman48

Hi

I found that if you double click space bar it moves the last bracket along one extra space & eliminates the dreaded emoticon surprise popping up (dreaded emoticon, normal spacing), ( with double spacing ).

Edited By mechman48 on 03/03/2015 14:39:19

Edited By mechman48 on 03/03/2015 14:40:24

mechman48
                              Participant
                                @mechman48

Hmmmm, seems to have been sorted… thinking

George.

OuBallie
                                Participant
                                  @ouballie

Crossposted http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=991330&cmd=show

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]  

Edited By OuBallie on 11/04/2015 17:11:

pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=991330&cmd=show

Aargh – bbcode doesn't bleeping well work!

Edited By OuBallie on 11/04/2015 17:15:16

Edited By OuBallie on 11/04/2015 17:25:34

OuBallie
                                  Participant
                                    @ouballie

I've now given up on getting links to work using my iPad

Geoff – It was never this difficult when I was younger

Edited By OuBallie on 31/07/2015 15:06:40

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133

Geoff,

Is this what you were trying to do:

**LINK**

… or this ?

MichaelG.

Posted on my "original iPad"

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2015 15:27:48

JohnF
                                      Participant
                                        @johnf59703

Hmmm coffee finished think I'll get back to me machines all manual and they do exactly as they are told !😇

Edited By JohnF on 31/07/2015 16:31:00

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

Geoff,

Sorry, I picked up the link from your 11/04/2015 post blush

I should have used the YouTube link that you posted today

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2015 20:48:32

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            Posted by mechman48 on 03/03/2015 14:41:38:

Hmmmm, seems to have been sorted… thinking

George.

George,

[much delayed comment] .. No, it hasn't been sorted, it's just that you chose an example that does not translate into one of the emoticons. The problem usually occurs when you have a colon, semicolon, or 'double quote mark' [for inches, or seconds] immediately before a closing parenthesis.

Have a play … that's what this thread is here for.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133
                                              Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/08/2014 19:15:42:

I think this is a reaonably comprehensive list of the Micro$oft keyboard shortcuts for the dreaded emoticons.

George … for info ^^^

Sorry, that link is dead now crying 2

Update: This link works [for now]

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2015 09:21:18

Steve Withnell
                                              Participant
                                                @stevewithnell34426
                                                Posted by OuBallie on 24/08/2014 14:29:28:

I am of course thinking back to the be beginning of time with regards the Internet, when Newsgroups where the forerunner of the Forums we use today.

__________________________________

My first use of genuine internet forums (ie not dial up public bulletin boards, which pre-date internet forums by at least another decade) in 1987 – so "beginning of time" feels about right! Some of this 'modern technology' isn't that modern at all. I also think that web based forums are very bloated and inefficient compared to a decent internet newsgroup. But I've been whining on about that for a decade… And why can I not get rid of that damn sidebar?

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 01/08/2015 09:35:48

Michael Gilligan
                                                Participant
                                                  @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Steve Withnell on 01/08/2015 09:33:38:

… And why can I not get rid of that damn sidebar?

Because that's where most of the adverts live !!

MichaelG.

OuBallie
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ouballie

I love the responses, keep them coming.

MichaelG,

What the 'bleep' am I doing wrong as I used every method possible to get that YouTube link to work, including the 'Official' one on their site and the YouTube button above. It must be either an iPad thing, or brain cells.

BBcode is such a doddle to use in comparison.

Too many 'clicks', just as the BBC has added to their so called 'improved' iPlayer. Leave the 'bl@@dy' thing alone, it wasn't broken idiots! Just had to get that off of my chest, so have calmed down now promise.

I'm with you Steve,

Old codger is me, and now trying to learn how to do videos for YouTube.

Geoff – Some of us just don't know when it's time to give up on technology

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      Posted by OuBallie on 01/08/2015 09:55:35:

MichaelG,

What the 'bleep' am I doing wrong as I used every method possible to get that YouTube link to work, including the 'Official' one on their site and the YouTube button above. It must be either an iPad thing, or brain cells.

Geoff,

I don't post on YouTube, so I can't help with the 'embedding' stuff … but it's very simple to do what I did.

If we can stay on-line for a few minutes, let's go step by step.

O.K. ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)