Oxy-Acetylene use

Advert

Oxy-Acetylene use

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bill Phinn
    Participant
      @billphinn90025
      On SillyOldDuffer Said:

There are always edge cases, where I think it reasonable for individuals to decide.  Andrew J mentioned one, which is transporting acetylene laid flat in a car or van.   This has caused a few nasty accidents, first because laying flat increases the risk of polymerisation; second because a small leak turns a confined space into a bomb.

I don’t see where Andrew mentions laying acetylene flat in his car.

It’s quite feasible to strap a cylinder upright behind the passenger seat (though preferably when it’s unoccupied by a passenger). I’ve done this myself and the person handing over the gas (who was obviously more up to speed on the “rules” than Andrew’s Air Liquide rep) had no objection to it.

Advert
      Nicholas Farr
      Participant
        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, there is nothing wrong exactly with transporting acetylene in your car whether it’s lying flat or upright, but you should whenever possible, transport them upright, but if you have transported it lying flat, it must be stood upright for the same amount of time, for up to 12 hours, before opening the valve. Not sure about the law as far as for domestic use, but in a commercial use, you should have one of those hazard warning signs on your vehicle, and also a compressed gas one if you are carrying compressed oxygen.

https://www.safetysigns4less.co.uk/Safety-Signs/Hazard-Specific-Signs/Hazard-Warning-Diamonds/Flammable-Gas?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_feed_or_listings&pl=STD&ccv=Y&sku=6D002AF-S&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz8GuBhCxARIsAOpzk8yGWdc07Iiv84J9nq0oT8Bk4-xzRzlnctRajfCzptY4d5Kc7AU6_rIaAtY1EALw_wcB

One thing you must not do, is carry any of them on a public road, with your equipment attached to them. A few notes about acetylene in the scan below, which includes the way it is contained in the cylinder.

Acetylene

There is always some gas at the top of the cylinder, ready to be used, and you are only able to draw two thirds of the contents, as time is needed for the acetylene to be released from the acetone, so when you get towards getting empty, you will find the flame will become smaller and smaller. Decanting from a full one to an empty one is a total no no, as they need a proper installation to do it safely, as it needs time to dissolve into the acetone, and is done in stages.

While it is not really anymore dangerous to use acetylene in your home workshop than an industrial one, per se, and I’m not saying you should handle it with kid gloves, but inspecting your equipment regularly for wear & tear and any damage, is just as important as it is in industrial places, and your regulators and flashback arresters have a year date on them when they should be replaced, and this applies to any that are in use and any that you have sitting in a cupboard as a spare, if they don’t have a date on them, I would urge you not to use them and get them replaced. Don’t get complacent about acetylene, as it won’t care one bit where it explodes, if it gets a chance to do so, and if you are anywhere near it if it does explode, you won’t know about it.

Regards Nick.

Andrew Johnston
        Participant
          @andrewjohnston13878
          On Bill Phinn Said:
          I don’t see where Andrew mentions laying acetylene flat in his car.

Correct, I didn’t say flat, but I wondered if someone would assume that. If SoD is going to comment on my posts I would hope he would assimilate them first!

To enlarge on the story, after a period of not using the oxy-acetylene I needed to get full bottles as the local gliding club wanted to borrow the set to mend the winch. I called the local Air Liquide stockist to confirm they had bottles in stock, which they did. So I drove out, and after it was confirmed that I had an active AL account I swapped bottles. The technician even commented that I knew what I was doing as I had transported the acetylene bottle upright, tied to the passenger door. When I enquired about replacement bottles a few weeks later I was told categorically by the agent that I could not transport gas bottles in a car. I called Air Liquide and they gave me the same story.

They are both wrong. The law on the transport of gas bottles in vehicles clearly states that an individual, for private use, can transport gas bottles in a car provided it is ‘ventilated’, ie, the window(s) is/are open. There is also a limit on how much can be carried based on a formula taking into account bottle capacity, operating pressure and how ‘dangerous’ the gas is deemed to be.

After I dumped Air Liquide and went to a Hobbyweld agent they confirmed that I was correct and it was perfectly legal for me to transport small quantities of gas bottles.

As a side note the oxygen bottle shown in the picture in my previous post is a medium size Hobbyweld bottle, to save me using up several smaller ones when flanging the tender sides using oxy-propane. Not only it is physically bigger it is also filled to 3000psi rather than the 2000psi for the smaller bottles.

Andrew

Nicholas Farr
          Participant
            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Andrew, you are correct, I forgot to say you should have your windows opened when transporting them in your car. I haven’t had any at home now for at least ten years.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, another thing I forgot to say is that you should never snift acetylene, hydrogen or toxic gases, even before fitting you regulator, if the valve needs cleaning out, use clean compressed air or nitrogen.

Regards Nick.

KWIL
              Participant
                @kwil

To answer Dave’s question. Yes I have used a Thermic Lance to cut concrete, the moltem metal flows out dragging the remains of the concrete with it. Quite exciting.

Carried out at an Alarm company’s site whilst on attachment, many many years ago

K

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)