Help me choose a lathe to suit my hobby

Advert

Help me choose a lathe to suit my hobby

Home Forums Manual machine tools Help me choose a lathe to suit my hobby

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Mick B1
    Participant
      @mickb1

Yep – what comes out yer shed is 100 times more important than whatcha got in there…

Advert
      jimmy b
      Participant
        @jimmyb
        Posted by Mick B1 on 12/09/2017 19:11:53:

Yep – what comes out yer shed is 100 times more important than whatcha got in there…

yes

Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt

> Basic tools in the hand of an expert produce good results yet the most amazing tools in the hands of a beginner will not necessarily produce the same results.

Very true.

Neil

SillyOldDuffer
            @sillyoldduffer

Posted by Microbike on 12/09/2017 12:50:23:.

… I think I could manage half of what you listed …

… and that the Warco should be considered a part assembled kit that requires finishing off by the owner.

Hi Andrew,

Doing up old bikes automatically means you're a much better mechanic than I am. I bet if you had a lathe to play with you would soon have the tweaks I listed mastered. Nothing I mentioned is difficult once you have a little experience. And even if you get stuck the forum is REALLY helpful.

Sorry if I've got you seeing the Warco as 'a part assembled kit'. I know what you mean but that description is several shades too harsh. If mine had been as bad as a 'part assembled kit', I'd have sent it back!

In comparison buying second-hand can plunge you into much deeper water. Fixing a warped bed, changing bearings, correcting worn or damaged ways, trueing up the headstock and tailstock alignments and debugging faulty electrics are all much harder to deal with than anything you might find on a new Far Eastern machine with a UK warranty. That said there are newcomers who've successfully got into the hobby by doing up a wreck. As you will know from doing up bikes, marvellous things can be done by begineers with time and determination.

Dave

Microbike
            Participant
              @microbike

Hello Dave

No need to apologise the "kit" phrase has caused a bit of a stir but wasn't intended that way. What I meant was in term of my own expectations I now know what to expect and will most likely be very pleased with a Warco should that be my final choice. With all the feedback I now know that little tweets and checks I should do myself and not pester the supplier. This for me was an important piece of info and your check list very useful.

I have used an airbrush for years and years and never had a problem yet friend really struggle to come to grips with the airbrush – with any skill if you keep at it you do eventually master it

I can't wait to get turning thanks for all the cracking good advice

Cheers

Andrew

Microbike
              Participant
                @microbike

A few posts back I referred to some of the mini lathe as a kit, and have later explained what I meant by the statement. However this view was not universally appreciated and not intended to cause any offence. However it niggled me where I got the idea from. So having just returned from Colombia I checked the recent books I was reading and discovered where the "kit" idea came from, the kit idea was obtained from some of the recommended reading material that I have been reading

The Mini Lathe by David Fenner states on page 15 "humorists used to comment that Chineese lathes were OK if you treated them as a kit of parts. It seems there is still an element of truth in that view, at least as regards the " Factory Assembled" condition"

However before anyone gets upset I think it's fair to say that things in the industry have moved on and changed quite a bit since Fenner published his book in 2008. But it has been reprinted in 2010, 2012 and 2015 so it is clearly a popular book and does carry an element of authority with it, so when a well published author like Fenner confirms that there is an element of truth that the Far East mini lathe can be akin to a "kit" us lessor informed beginners do take the author at his word

Perhaps it is time for an updated mini lathe book that reflects the current status of the mini lathe and the options for new model engineers. These books while not the gospel are an invaluable source of projects and leaning for the beginner

So how about it MEW – what about an updated book on the mini lathe that provides the insight on buying, setting up and using the modern lathe from the Far East.

Cheers

Andrew

Roderick Jenkins
                Participant
                  @roderickjenkins93242
                  Microbike
                  Participant
                    @microbike

Thanks for the link, bought the book right away should arrive early next week

Cheers

Andrew

Neil Wyatt
                      @neilwyatt
                      Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 13/09/2017 22:24:04:

The Mini-lathe by Neil Wyatt

Saved my embarrassment, thanks Rod

Neil

SillyOldDuffer
                        @sillyoldduffer

Hi Andrew,

I wasn't offended or upset by the word 'kit'. I was much more worried that I'd misled you. I've been in your position and know how difficult it is to get a balanced view of hobby lathes off the web, or anywhere else! All I can say is when I finally bought a mini-lathe (from a reputable UK source) I was pleasantly surprised.

Whatever you buy, please come on the forum and tell us honestly what you think of it and why. Good or bad, people will be interested.

Dave

Nick_G
                        Participant
                          @nick_g

Andrew,

Also be aware that there is a retailer of 'mini lathes' (who happens to advertise on this site) that also sells various upgrade kits for them that amongst other things aid in rigidity and overall feel of use.

However as you are seemingly only going to be machining plastics and aluminium the 'as supplied' machine will most probably be more than capable of your requirements.

Nick

Gordon Tarling
                          Participant
                            @gordontarling37126

Andrew – I got my Emco from Ebay. There, I said the word and the sky hasn't fallen in yet! smiley

The Sherline is a capable little lathe, but I found it's better to stick to turning non ferrous materials on it. Many of the major parts on it are aluminium and this compromises its rigidity. I also found prices in this country to be somewhat expensive, so having a good friend living in the USA might be very helpful.

MW
                            Participant
                              @mw27036
                              Posted by Gordon Tarling on 14/09/2017 10:56:14:

The Sherline is a capable little lathe, but I found it's better to stick to turning non ferrous materials on it. Many of the major parts on it are aluminium and this compromises its rigidity. I also found prices in this country to be somewhat expensive, so having a good friend living in the USA might be very helpful.

The body of my lathe bed and stand seems to be some kind of steel, this also applies to the z axis of the mill. The cross slide/headstock etc.. are all adonized aluminium, i'm not sure what grade of aluminium it is. I think they use these extrusions to limit the amount of machining that is needed.

The postal and import charges are the economy killer, if you take those out of it, it is actually quite reasonable to buy. I will consider upgrading the motor to a 400W brushless on mine, at some point.

Like most of these budget/hobby lathes the actual construction of them is great, but the motor provided can bring the whole thing down a grade. 

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 14/09/2017 13:09:28

Microbike
                              Participant
                                @microbike

Hello Dave

I wasn't mislead at all but instead found you post very informative and have copied the information for future reference. It would certainly seem that the modern mini lathe is much better than they were 10 years ago.

Once I buy my lathe I will be sure to post on the forum and share the experience .

Cheers

Andrew

Microbike
                                Participant
                                  @microbike

Hello Nick. G

I am sure the lathe I buy will be fine but not perfect for every requirement. While it is true that for the model bikes I will be working on plastic, Teflon, brass and aluminium, I do still intend to make a number of tools, real bike parts ( I had to have some aluminim bushes made when I was restoring my Moto Guzzi Le Mans III (See below the finished project). I think this is what makes my requirement a bit complex.

image.jpeg

A Sherline mill is perfect for the 1/6 scale bikes but might not be suitable for some other tool projects I have in mind. Therefore at the end of the day I may well end up with 2 mill and 2 lathes.

Cheers

Andrew

Microbike
                                  Participant
                                    @microbike

Hello Gordon

Emco lathe on eBay – you certainly braver than me. Bought a few parts for my Le Mans on ebay though as the factory doesn't make many parts anymorefor the older bikes.

I think the Sherline will be ideally suited for turning model bolts, exhaust cans, fork sliders and the like because the parts are very small and well suited to a smaller machine which the missus might allow me to use in the house

I still think as has been suggested before on this thread that I might be better suited with two lathes eg a Sherline lathe for the bike model parts and a WARCO VM280 lathe instead of investing in the much larger WARCO gear head lathe I was originally considering.

I think I am going to start off with a small mill either the Sherline 5000 or the SIEG SX1LP Mill and see how it goes before moving on to the lathe. Milling is my most pressing need at the moment since using the mill to remove the moulded bolt heads is going to be more effective, faster and more accurate than my current hand held pin vice

Cheers

Andrew

Microbike
                                    Participant
                                      @microbike

Hello Michael

Do you have a Sherline mill? How do you like it? The UK supplier for Sherline is Millhill in Essex and the basic mill is the Sherline 5000 for £707.00 while the SIEG SX1LP is £600.00 A so not much in it when it comes to price

The Sherline is smaller but I think will be better suited because of its smaller size. I will try and see both before I buy. I am bound to see the SIEG products at the Midlands model show and take a bike ride out to Essex to see the Sherline mill. For the bike model parts which apart from rims are very small the Sherline motor should be okay?

I would be pleased to hear of your experiences with the Sherline mill – would you recommend it?

Cheers

Andrew

Robin Graham
                                      Participant
                                        @robingraham42208

There have been a couple of disparaging remarks made about Proxxon lathes – by NickG and more lately by Gordon Tarling who says:

" Before I bought a lathe, I considered many different makes and concluded that Proxxon lathes are really glorified, overpriced toys that IMHO aren't capable of any serious work."

I have actually owned and used a Proxxon PD400 for maybe 10 years. The reason I spent the money was that it was my first lathe and I was nervous about going for a Chinese minilathe for the same reasons as many other first time buyers – you read reviews on the internet, hear horror stories, and think 'Gawd, I don't want to be faced with fixing a machine I don't really understand when I haven't even the skill to use it to do what it's supposed to do yet'. The musical instrument analogy is apposite and informed my thinking at the time. I'd been struggling with learning the Irish pipes after buying a £500 set – months in and I could just about do a scale and a few twiddles. Six months later later my £2k set arrived from Ireland – "Begob and begorrah" I said to myself (as one does) when I'd strapped myself into the beast 'this is the man" – I was nailing a tune, perhaps not to 5 microns but within half an inch or two at least within a fortnight. So that's why I bought the Proxxon.

Is it capable of serious work? Yes, within its capacity, and very accurate it is too – you get a a precision Rohm 3-jaw and a Rohm tailstock chuck in the package. Is it better made than a Sieg minilathe? Yes. Is it value for money – no I'd say. It served my purpose, but I'd certainly go for a minilathe and save myself £s if I had my time again, knowing what I know now.

Sláinte, Rob

Circlip
                                        Participant
                                          @circlip

Emco Maximat V10 came in handy at lunchtimes when making bits for my MK1 L/M. Brembo's chromed pistons were replaced with half a dozen Stainless versions as were ALL screws, bolts and washers with SS versions. As the satellite location of the company where I worked were being re-located, the lathe I'd used was purchased from them and a later purchase of the vertical head from another source has kept me happy for thirty years.

Regards Ian.

Mike E.
                                          Participant
                                            @mikee-85511
                                            Posted by Nick_G on 10/09/2017 20:05:20:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/09/2017 19:55:02:

You better believe it, Nick

I wonder what it will end up going for.? (providing it makes it's reserve)

Nick

A couple of days ago, the price climbed to stupid money, £ 2500., and then for some unknown reason ( and I have a good idea why, lol.&nbsp after the auction ended, its quickly relisted for a buy it now price at the same amount; yeah, stupid money.

michael cole
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelcole91146

For the small stuff and your price point you really need to look at a Cowells ME90.

Microbike
                                              Participant
                                                @microbike

Good morning

Several years ago this thread was particularly helpful in helping me choose a mini lathe and milling machine.

in the end I decide to buy a Sherline lathe and milling machine which I have had for a couple of years now.

I did not buy locally as I was unable to find a dealer who would take me seriously so I bought direct from Sherline through a Canadian dealer

I am really satisfied with my purchase and it meets my needs very nicely. I have made a couple of steam engines just to get used to my machines. But I soon got bored making steam engines as this is not my main interest.

I am now making 1/6 model bike parts, starting with the axles and bolts that I always wanted to make. My current project is the rear shocks for a 1/6 Honda CB 750F.

A big thank you to all who provided advice and recommendations it was really helpful

Andrew

Microbike
                                                Participant
                                                  @microbike

Below is the rear axle for the 1/6 Honda CB750F A8074079-9EC8-4505-A20E-A0B379A1688D

Michael Gilligan
                                                  Participant
                                                    @michaelgilligan61133

It’s good to see this thread revived

MichaelG.

peak4
                                                    Participant
                                                      @peak4
                                                      On Michael Gilligan Said:

It’s good to see this thread revived

MichaelG.

It is, I missed it the first time around.
                                                      I’ve a Mk3 LeMans myself, though I didn’t have when the thread was first published.

Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)