Gear design

Advert

Gear design

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Haine
    Participant
      @johnhaine32865

A friend pointed me to this fascinating video which is well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-z-791_ak

Advert
      Brian Wood
      Participant
        @brianwood45127

Quite right, rather clever

Brian

Martin Connelly
        Participant
          @martinconnelly55370

There are losses in gearboxes that show up as heat and noise, they are not 100% efficient and this shows some of the reasons for those losses. If you are driving a 10MW alternator through a gearbox then even a small percentage of that power will cause a lot of gearbox heat that has got to be catered for. These large gearboxes also induce harmonics that have to be fully understood when they are being designed. You don’t want to hit a harmonic as you are winding up the mass of a 10MW alternator, either of the prime mover or the alternator. I suspect the noise from gearboxes contributes to the hum from wind turbines, they are big gearboxes, I had to do the lifting plan for one once.

Martin C

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

Thanks, interesting, but by halfway the maths had got the better of me ! Noel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)