French model Engineers

Advert

French model Engineers

Home Forums Model engineering club news French model Engineers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Weary
    Participant
      @weary

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

Mr Harris, tried the 'Inscription' link that you gave me just now…. it tells me that someone with my details already has registered – fair enough, I have tried to join – but then when I try and log-in using the same details I am told that my account/application awaits activation. So, I'll just have to be patient and keep emailing their general 'info' email address every couple of weeks asking someone to please activate my application.

I'm not located in France, so, dropping in on a meeting, probably somewhat menacingly from their point of view( devil!), is not an 'easy' option.

Ho-hum. I'll just remain sanguine and patient.

Thank-you again for the suggestions. I console myself with the thought that the French modellers are too busy 'making' and 'playing' to faff about with forums.

Regards,

Phil

Advert
      Speedy Builder5
      Participant
        @speedybuilder5

Well well well – Bit of a nasty comment about the French and a bit uncalled for especially on a Forum stream trying to encourage French modelers !

I don't know what "Weary" wants, but there seems to be loads by searching Google:-

**LINK**

BobH

wendy jackson
        Participant
          @wendyjackson

I have lived there, have you?… it’s nothing nasty, just a fact, and I am grown up enough to deal with facts, so unlike many people today.

Speedy Builder5
          Participant
            @speedybuilder5

TC, I wonder why I started this forum stream ? Lived here in France for the last 15 years and well integrated with our community – never had a bad experience. Too bad that you have.

BobH

clogs
            Participant
              @clogs

shame, have also tried for 15 years to get interest in this sorta thing…..with no luck……

even the old car lads seem to stick with their countrymen……

there's def a them and us attitued in the Charente Maritime….been told elsewhere it's not so bad……!!!!!!!!!!

and it's not a language thing either…….

mind they are quite happy to get u to make something…….

Well I'm moving outta here now, just had enough……

Shame cos it's a beautiful place…….

Crete bekons…..hahaha…….

wendy jackson
              Participant
                @wendyjackson

Speedy, there are many french who like the brits, but some who do not. I just stated a fact.

Daniel
                Participant
                  @daniel

I've lived in France for 20 years, now.

Until now a generally positive life choice. As you've alluded to Bob, integration is key to being accepted as part of the local community

I have had the occasional unpleasant experience, but that would say more about the individual, than their nationality.

ATB,

Daniel

Meunier
                  Participant
                    @meunier

Just as you say, Daniel, joining in is key. The village and surrounding area 2CV and 4L club had their annual rally a couple of weeks ago and the Maire, knowing I had an old Porsche told us that we had to join in. I said that a Porsche was hardly a Citroen or Renault to which he replied that it was a 3.2l so fitted in nicely between 2 and 4 ! and he expected to see us for the breakfast beforehand. 87km, around 40cars/10bikers(crossroads duty ) and a good day out for all concerned including MrsD and I.
                    I once asked him if I had somehow offended a certain person and he replied No, don't worry, he was like that with everybody.
                    DaveD

Daniel
                    Participant
                      @daniel
                      Posted by Meunier on 09/05/2019 21:20:48:

Just as you say, Daniel, joining in is key. The village and surrounding area 2CV and 4L club had their annual rally a couple of weeks ago and the Maire, knowing I had an old Porsche told us that we had to join in. I said that a Porsche was hardly a Citroen or Renault to which he replied that it was a 3.2l so fitted in nicely between 2 and 4 ! and he expected to see us for the breakfast beforehand. 87km, around 40cars/10bikers(crossroads duty ) and a good day out for all concerned including MrsD and I.
                      I once asked him if I had somehow offended a certain person and he replied No, don't worry, he was like that with everybody.
                      DaveD

thumbs upthumbs up

martyn nutland
                      Participant
                        @martynnutland79495

Not a modeliste, but build vintage Austin Sevens from boxes of bits in what used to be Picardie, now Hauts de France. Lathe and mill a bit in a very modest sort of way to make small parts for them. Like others here find vintage engineering outfits hard to find but buy materials and tools from the most excellent company RC Machines in Luxembourg who will deal in English and have no silly automated credit card insistence.

I'm in Gueschart which no one's ever heard of, nor can find on the map. But it does exist and lies between Auxi-le-Chateau et Crecy-en-Ponthieu, or, if you prefer Abbeville et Hesdin!

4, Place de l'Eglise, 80150 GUESCHART (don't you just love succinct French addresses), website martyn.nutland@gmail.com

Best and many thanks for the opportunity to reveal this.

Martyn

simondavies3
                        Participant
                          @simondavies3

I missed this thread first time around but let me add myself to the French based list – based just north of Aix en Provence (13760) for the last 5 years, been in France permanently since 2007.

Apart from meeting up with Raymond a few times at his local exhibition and in contact with the small local group run by Jacque Maurel, VAP (Vaporistes Amateurs de Provence, https://vaporistesprovence.tumblr.com/), I know of no other light/model engineers in the region.

Pretty self contained here but would be happy to hear from anyone local.

BR
                          Simon

Rolster
                          Participant
                            @rolster

Hi maybe a small resurection of this thread. Another one to add for France, i am still working full time and spend my weekdays in Roquebrune cap Martin 06190.

I have lived in france now for nearly18 years but only recently bought a house big enough to bring all my workshop equipment over from storage in the U.K too.

I am in the process of setting up a small workshop in my home garage in Tourtour 83690. I have an interest in live steam models both stationary and 5 inch gauge railway engines (steam and electric).

Future plans are resurecting a 5" gauge speedy (not been run in a long time) and planning to set up some raised track in my garden.

I see Raymond is near me in Lourges which i pass through on my way to Tourtour.

BR Roland

J Hancock
                            Participant
                              @jhancock95746

Rolster , do pass on my regards to Philip de Clerq and Rita if you meet them in the vicinity of Tourtour.

John Hancock/ ex-Synthomer.Belgium.

Speedy Builder5
                              Participant
                                @speedybuilder5

Just a line or two. My 5" gauge SPEEDY is all but finished. Its passed its stage 1 boiler certification and now must pass the second stage. I am now a member of my "local" club "Le petite train de Grenard" (only 2 hour drive away) – but they run 71/4 inch track !! However I have found an extensive 5" private track where we can have meet ups and arrange for boiler testing. A super bunch of friendly vapourists.

We live in the Lot region dept 46 SW France and model steam locos are like chicken's teeth which is strange as in our nearest town, there are 2 large aircraft component factories – plenty of engineers there !

Roister (BR Roland) You are way down south of me – our nearest town is Figeac 46100. Contact me if you have SPEEDY questions or just want a chat

Bob

Rolster
                                Participant
                                  @rolster
                                  Posted by J Hancock on 09/09/2022 14:25:30:

Rolster , do pass on my regards to Philip de Clerq and Rita if you meet them in the vicinity of Tourtour.

John Hancock/ ex-Synthomer.Belgium.

Hi John, Philip and Rita are not known to me but if our paths cross, i will be sure to pass on your regards.

BR Roland

Rolster
                                  Participant
                                    @rolster
                                    Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 09/09/2022 15:19:30:

Just a line or two. My 5" gauge SPEEDY is all but finished. Its passed its stage 1 boiler certification and now must pass the second stage. I am now a member of my "local" club "Le petite train de Grenard" (only 2 hour drive away) – but they run 71/4 inch track !! However I have found an extensive 5" private track where we can have meet ups and arrange for boiler testing. A super bunch of friendly vapourists.

We live in the Lot region dept 46 SW France and model steam locos are like chicken's teeth which is strange as in our nearest town, there are 2 large aircraft component factories – plenty of engineers there !

Roister (BR Roland) You are way down south of me – our nearest town is Figeac 46100. Contact me if you have SPEEDY questions or just want a chat

Bob

Hi Bob, yes you are north west of me there and many thanks for the invitation on speedy questions. Once i have the workshop fully unpacked and set up i may just take you up on that.

BR Roland

Raymond Griffin
                                    Participant
                                      @raymondgriffin40985

Hi all,

I posted earlier in this thread regarding model engineering/ steam activities in my part of the South of France. Also noted the incredible friendly welcome that I received at my club. I failed to include, that this is in complete contrast to the indifferent welcome that I met in some clubs in the UK.

I have met and enjoyed talking to Simon the times when he visited our club exhibitions before Covid. He kindly made an ER collet holder by 3D printing for me, which has proved so useful. The gauge 1 steam railway of Chris Ludlow in his garden at Toulon deserves another mention, though Covid has stopped his annual international steam week ends.

At my club we are now planning our first exhibition since Covid, for February 2023.

I was attracted by the mention of Tourtour by Rolster. We went there yesterday (Friday) evening to enjoy a glass of local wine and admire the sunset. The village offers great views over the local countryside and splendid sunsets can be seen there. Tourtour is only 20 minutes away from Lorgues so it would be great if we could meet up. I have just finished my 1” Minnie traction engine and have now started making the Stuart models Williamson engine.

Cheers

Rolster
                                      Participant
                                        @rolster

Hi Raymond, I am very glad you enjoyed the sunset on Friday, I arrived around 22:45 and all was quiet as I passed through Lourges and Tourtour.

It would be lovely to meet up, I am at Tourtour this and next week so if you fancy a meet up during the day or evening Let me know where and when and we will make it happen.

BR Roland

simondavies3
                                        Participant
                                          @simondavies3

Hi Roland, good to hear that there’s another model engineer local to me (where local equates to about 2 hours!). My interests tend towards CNC and general bricolage although I restarted work on a clock I started some 10 years ago.
                                          I am based in St Cannat, 13760, always interested to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.
                                          Simon

Rolster
                                          Participant
                                            @rolster

Hi Simon yep not to far away so would be good to do a meet up.

My sausage fingers and eyesight are just not good enough for clocks, but have a great respect for those that have the accuracy and patience to make them.

I have never managed to do any proper CNC work myself, I just have an old school manual Myford super 7 and a manual Warco milling machine as my main machine tools, but I have allot of tooling and hand tools and quite enjoy the challenge of conversion from drawing to surface plate to machine. Not to say I don’t get envious watching the CNC machines cut out drill and tap in thirty minutes what it would take me a week to do.

I am trying to sort out my workshop and get my tooling out of their crates, but hope to complete that in the next two weeks.

BR Roland

Raymond Griffin
                                            Participant
                                              @raymondgriffin40985

Hi Rolster, would you be able to meet up in Tourtour on Friday 16th at 6.00pm? I suggest La Farigoulette, across the road from the Bar des Ormeaux. We will be on an outside table. Would this be suitable for you?

We have visitors, the week following.

Ray

Rolster
                                              Participant
                                                @rolster

Hi Raymond, that sounds like a plan to me and I’ll meet you there then. I think I can recognise you from the photo in the earlier post.

I sometimes like to go to the Bar des Ormeaux in the mornings when I have guests staying for their coffees and the pastries from the other side of the fountain. it’s very pleasant to be sat in the square under the trees.

BR Roland

simondavies3
                                                Participant
                                                  @simondavies3

Roland, PM sent.

Raymond Griffin
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raymondgriffin40985

Hi Rolster, I have just noticed that I am not in the photo that I posted. We will probably be easily recognizable as the only two people in the bar, with white hair.

RMA
                                                    Participant
                                                      @rma

Good morning all.

Just come across this thread and thought I would add a club which I don't think anyone has mentioned, Cvdp Chitenay.

I don't live in France but have travelled through many times wondering if there are any clubs with tracks and a member of a Facebook group posted a video of his Silvercrest loco in action. I know France is a big country and you might not live close by but, by the looks of the video, it's an impressive track.

The annoying thing is, I have driven by it many times and didn't even know it was there. It is now on my list of future visits.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)