Website Articles – Suggestions Please

Advert

Website Articles – Suggestions Please

Home Forums Website Questions, Comments, and Suggestions Website Articles – Suggestions Please

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Richmond
    Participant
      @richmond
      Hi,

As you may well be aware we are uploading various articles to the web where we know we have copyright …. essentially Martin Evans and E.T. Westbury in all his guises, and any other author who was employed by Model Engineer at the time of article publication. Hopefully, there will be others, so watch this space.

Anyway, rather than just plowing through and just uploading we need your suggestions please …

“Metro” has been started, and “Simplex” is to follow soon …. Do you want IC engines ? More Loco’s ? Clocks ? Tooling ?

We want the content to be as varied as possible given the copyright limitiations we currently have, so please please post your suggestions here.

Rgds
      Advert
      Richmond
      Participant
        @richmond
        keithmart
        Participant
          @keithmart

Hi

Let us have a variety, please include clocks engines and tools

Personally I am not a loco man, but I acn learn from some of the techniques used.

When are we going to get the old magazine PDF’s?

JasonB
            @jasonb
            I may be an idea to include the articles by Westbury on the engines that you have recently published free plans for such as the centaur as this may help readers who wish to build them.

And while you are on what about a index of ME content or at least include a link to the ones on the web in your links section.

Jason

Edited By JasonB on 26/05/2009 19:34:06

Edited By JasonB on 26/05/2009 19:35:13

Dougie Swan
            Participant
              @dougieswan43463
              More I/C please, the free plans are great but plans for models that require castings are only useful if you intend to buy the castings.
              A reprint of the modelengineers wallchart would be great, my copy has just about had it.
              More stationary models, I, like others do not belong to a club so do not have access to a track to run a loco, freelance stuff would be great
              Regards
              Dougie
              Peter Jackman
              Participant
                @peterjackman96448
                If possible can you upload old articles on locomotive construction by LBSC?
                I am particularly interested in gauge one and I know he was prolific in this area many years ago.

Peter J
                David Clark 13
                Participant
                  @davidclark13
                  Hi There
                  We will be putting the datasheets on the web.
                  Individual charts rather than large charts that no one can print out.
                  LBSC is not our copyright so can’t do that.

One reader at least is fabricating the Centaur gas engine.
                  The Trojan, The Corsair and the Cygnet Royal could all be made without castings.
                  We can put a Martin Evans gauge 1 locomotive onto the site.
                  regards David

wahiba
                  Participant
                    @wahiba
                    Great to find the datasheets will be on the web.

Awkward scanning the wall chart onto an A4 sheet that will fit into a cheap and cheeful laminator that protects the information perfectly in the workshop.

Niloch
                    Participant
                      @niloch
                      I’m wondering whether you have the copyright to John Haining’s two construction series on the magnificent Fowler ploughing engines published in ME Vols. 147-148 and again Vols. 161 – 164. 
                      For those unfamiliar with these engines further particulars can be found here
                      Alternatively, perhaps his estate would grant permission, for an appropriate percentage, for DVD-ROMs to be made of the series.
                      Clive Booth 1
                      Participant
                        @clivebooth1
                        Hi
                        Can I raise the old chestnut of articles in the  current magazine refering back to articles published some time ago.
                        Why not put the old article on the website at the time of publishing or insist the author repeats his previous submission!

Can we see  Workshop articles please and maybe a list of the contenents pages since copy1 – that way we could better identify whta might be of use.

Thanks Clive
                        David Clark 13
                        Participant
                          @davidclark13
                          Hi There
                          Not sure who to contact regarding John Haining.
                          I will see what I can do.
                          Had permission yesterday to put Stan Bray’s articles on the web.
                          regards David

Niloch
                          Participant
                            @niloch
                            John Haining – many thanks David at least for giving my suggestion some consideration.  As you know, he was the author of two books, both of which are still available from Amazon, although, I don’t know who the publishers are.  They would have contact details if only to pay royalties to the estate.

Edward George (Martin Wallis) has also written a book about scale model traction engine construcyion and, as far as I can see, has more knowledge than virtually anyone else in this field, that knowledge might well extend to knowing the whereabouts of the Haining family.

The index for volume 194 – January to July 2005 has an entry for John Haining’s obituary (pages 309 & 369) ; there may well be clues there.  As this is only four years ago his widow may well be still alive and might be all too pleased to give the necessary permissions in memory of her late husband.

I did try http://www.192.com but the surname is not sufficiently rare to make sense of the entries.

Thank you for your efforts.
                            Niloch
                            Participant
                              @niloch
                              David – in case it is of further assistance I now have John Haining’s obituary to hand.  To summarise: he was a few days short of his 90th birthday when he passed away.  Other constructional articles  were: the Kitson & Hewitson ploughing engine of 1862, Caradoc – the steam tractor, the Durham and North Yorkshire t.e. and the Suffolk dredging tractor (I’m not clear whether they were all full constructional serials – my collection of MEs only goes back to the year 2000.
                              He and his wife Ann had been responsible for the display of models in the model tent at the Usk show for many years. 
                              You might be able to get more precise information from the membership secretary here
                              Finally: he was a worthy Technical Consultant retained by various editors of ME. If he was an employee of the publishers, does that have ramifications as far as copyright goes?
                              des bromilow
                              Participant
                                @desbromilow43838
                                As you may well be aware we are uploading various articles to the web…

Where????? I was one of the guys impacted by  Magelica’s decision to shut down the previously approved ME article distribution through James Early. As result, I would love to know where the articles are being published so I can restart learning the methods and techniques.

thanks,
                                Des
                                Richmond
                                Participant
                                  @richmond
                                  Hi Des,

Clicking here and here will take you to the sections where articles have been uploaded.

The first link is for articles from Model Engineer, and the second link are ones from MEW.

I hope this helps

Rgds

Edited By Richmond on 15/07/2009 18:20:14

Peter Jackman
                                  Participant
                                    @peterjackman96448
                                    Is there any chance of posting Martin Evans’s articles on his 2.5″ gauge Black Five?
                                    I know drawings are available as L0967 but the original articles would be very helpful. I believe they were published in Vols. 152-154. The articles would be very useful to me in support of these drawings.
                                    Failing this could they be included in the forthcoming “Best of ME” special if not too late?

thanks
                                    Peter

jomac
                                    Participant
                                      @jomac

In the model engineer Feb/March issue, Dave Fenner described the GRINDALL for grinding the Sugden special pistons etc, He refered to the genuine item in MEW issue 81, and more importantly Alan Booths home made one that appeared in issue 93.

So is there a possability of uploading the article for the home made tool into the website articles. Ive tried to get issue 93 on E/bay but to no avail.

I have  intended to build a Sugden Special for some time, but have been busy making change gears and milling attatchments for my Hercus 260.

The above mentioned tool would be very useful and interesting to manufacture.

Thanks John Holloway.

David Clark 13
                                      Participant
                                        @davidclark13
                                        Hi There
                                        I have phoned Alan but he is not at the number I have for him.
                                        Can’t get permission if I can’t speak to him.

regards David 
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)