*Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*

Advert

*Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*

Home Forums Website Announcements *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Farr
    Participant
      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Dave, to quote Donald Sutherland in his character in the film Kelly's Heroes, "What is it with those negative ways" devil

Regards Nick.

Advert
      Nick Wheeler
      Participant
        @nickwheeler

Dave, you've missed out Option C: Just how bad can it get?

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Who will make the glorious last post on the old forum?

Dave

Graham Meek
          Participant
            @grahammeek88282
            Posted by JasonB on 03/10/2023 20:42:13:

If you have been active on the forum in the last 12 months you should have got an e-mail earlier today saying much the same as darrens Opening Post, check your spam or promotion sfolder sif you have not seen it, If not there then make sure you are using the same correct e-mail on the forum as you currently use to check your mail.

No email received as yet.

Regards

Gray,

JasonB
              @jasonb

Just sent you a message Gray.

PatJ
              Participant
                @patj87806

I got the upgrade email.

It can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

Long overdue.

I migrated one forum from SimpleMachines to Xenforo, and it was a huge improvement.

There is much to be gained with today's improved forum software.

No pain, no gain, as they say.

I looked up the quote from the movie "Kelley's Heroes", as follows:

"Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves. Oddball (Donald Sutherland) with his classic line "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves. Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

So I say it can be done; it should be done.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Pat J

Edited By PatJ on 04/10/2023 16:16:53

File Handle
                Participant
                  @filehandle

I was going to say that I hadn't recieved the email until I looked in Spam, and there it was.

JasonB
                    @jasonb

Xenforo does seem quite good and a few forums I frequent use it, pitty they decided on something else crying

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 19:12:58

Ian P
                    Participant
                      @ianp
                      Posted by JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:14:17:

As a bit of guidance for when you first get access to the new forum rather than rushing in and getting stuck can we ask that you please read the quite extensive "Help" section. This can be accessed from the green bar where I have circled below as well as a couple of other red buttons that will appear with "Help/FAQs" which takes you to the list shown below. You won't get the orange bar (that is for Mods) and the list of help items is a lot longer.

Not only will this help you get set up on the new forum but will help the long suffering Mods by saving us having to repeatedly answer basic questions that are covered on the help page. Remember some of your most active Moderators do it for Free and have limited time to spend on the forum so help us by helping yourselves. That way we can concentrate on sorting genuine questions and bug which are a higher priority. Also you will see I have set up some topics (new name for threads) for you to try things out and others for question sand comments try to use these rather than start a whole load of new topics that will be hard for the Mods to keep track of. These will be right at the top of the forum headings.

help me.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:18:57

On the assumption that the screengrab is a fair representation of what the forum will look like in about a weeks time, then I have a few observations that I would like to make. I don't want to pre-judge because I realise its probably work-in-progress and I know operability on portable devices was a requirement but a few things about the posted image confuse me. (I should point out that I have no web page layout skills or experience but as a lay person the following jump out at me)

Why does it need,

3 instances of 'Forums'

3 instances of 'Subscribe'

What are 'Features' (maybe its a lucky dip button!)

'Gallery' Is that the signed-in members own pictures?'

Main? top banner shows 'Modelling Hub' which I dont recall seeing before, but the page is not clear whether its ME or the MEW).

I accept that the page is a 'Help' page, but in that case it should not really need all the other banners and stuff carried over.

My best wishes to Darren and all the moderators, hope all goes well.

Regards

Ian P

JasonB
                        @jasonb
                        Posted by Ian P on 04/10/2023 20:23:45:

Why does it need,

3 instances of 'Forums'

I've raised this point a few times

3 instances of 'Subscribe'

I've also raised this point a few times, there were  8 instsnces at one time and thebuy single issues also took you to subscribe!

What are 'Features' (maybe its a lucky dip button!)

Same as the features this site has always had along the black bar but they are to include some newer content

'Gallery' Is that the signed-in members own pictures?'

Gallery is the new Albums though they are not needed to post images

Main? top banner shows 'Modelling Hub' which I dont recall seeing before, but the page is not clear whether its ME or the MEW).

It coves both as it does now hence the two titles just below Hub

I accept that the page is a 'Help' page, but in that case it should not really need all the other banners and stuff carried over.

No problem with your feedback and one of the reasons the Mods have been asking for more testing as you post shows the average user will feel the same as we do yet most seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 20:38:54

KEITH BEAUMONT
                        Participant
                          @keithbeaumont45476

No E Mail in any of my boxes.

Keith

JasonB
                            @jasonb

just sent you a PM Keith

Robert Butler
                            Participant
                              @robertbutler92161

No email in inbox, spam or junk.

Robert Butler

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                Posted by JasonB on 04/10/2023 20:31:49:

Posted by Ian P

It coves both […]

I did a Google search for “the modelling hub”

Seems like it is quite a popular choice of catch-phrase [or whatever the correct terminology might be]

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                                Participant
                                  @nicholasfarr14254
                                  Posted by PatJ on 04/10/2023 16:08:35:

I got the upgrade email.

It can't happen soon enough in my opinion.

Long overdue.

I migrated one forum from SimpleMachines to Xenforo, and it was a huge improvement.

There is much to be gained with today's improved forum software.

No pain, no gain, as they say.

I looked up the quote from the movie "Kelley's Heroes", as follows:

"Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves. Oddball (Donald Sutherland) with his classic line "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves. Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

So I say it can be done; it should be done.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Pat J

Edited By PatJ on 04/10/2023 16:16:53

Hi Pat J, OK I couldn't quite remember all the correct words, but I guess most people understood my comment. But thanks for sharing the correct lines.

Regards Nick.

PatJ
                                  Participant
                                    @patj87806

It definitely looks cleaner.

If we can get anywhere close to what typical modern forum software will do, that would be very helpful, and would make posting things like photos infinitely faster.

Being about to use things like "Like" is great, because you get to connect with the folks reading, and can get verification that they like what you post.

Feedback is very nice on a forum.

Bill Phinn
                                    Participant
                                      @billphinn90025
                                      Posted by PatJ on 05/10/2023 00:07:47:

Being about to use things like "Like" is great, because you get to connect with the folks reading, and can get verification that they like what you post.

Feedback is very nice on a forum.

But only if it’s positive feedback, in your view?

I can’t see myself using a “like” button if there is one, nor will I want one using on me. Leave such things, I say, to the people who haunt social media, for whom emotion routinely trumps rational discourse.

PatJ
                                      Participant
                                        @patj87806

I see it more as a utilitarian sort of thing, although I am aware that there are forum folks out there who literally live for "likes" (I won't mention any names, but I am aware of at least one fellow who is rather prolific across multiple forums, and he has stated that his builds are as much for likes and views as it is about his interest in building engines).

For me, it is a simple gauge of interest in a topic.

If I get a lot of likes, then that indicates that folks are interested, and perhaps then I will delve deeper into the topic, and post more items that may also have a shared interest by many.

A topic with no likes is not necessarily a bad topic, but indicates perhaps a lack of general interest in a topic.

And the other thing that I have done when people like my posts is to go read their posts via the "view this person's posts", and I often find many topics of a similar nature that I find interesting.

Connecting with folks and sharing information is what these forums are about for me.

I don't use youtube, facebook, twitter, or any other social media other than modeling forums.

I have a rather bland personality that turns people off on social media, and people don't like folks who speak in a forthright manner, which is what I do.

Quite a few folks like my technical posts, and so I stick to that and stay away from social media.

I was building engines before personal computers came along, and should we have some sort of event, I will still build model engines using steam power if required.

I do learn a lot from others on engine forums, and in particular on this engine forum.

The Brits are the best model engine builders in my opinion, but don't tell my yank friends I said that.

Pat J

Edited By PatJ on 05/10/2023 03:36:30

Bill Phinn
                                        Participant
                                          @billphinn90025

Thanks for your reply, Pat.

Your comments have slightly mellowed my prejudice against likes; I can appreciate that people may want to give and receive them for a variety of reasons.

JasonB
                                            @jasonb
                                            Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/10/2023 21:58:20:

I did a Google search for “the modelling hub”

Seems like it is quite a popular choice of catch-phrase [or whatever the correct terminology might be]

MichaelG.

Similar to Billetdevil

Craig Brown
                                            Participant
                                              @craigbrown60096

All the best with the migration. Hopefully it goes smoothly

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2023 07:58:36

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
                                              • The topic ‘*Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*’ is closed to new replies.

Advert

Latest Replies

Home Forums Website Announcements Topics

Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                                              Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

View full reply list.

Advert